Some Low-Life Tried To Ultra-Violate Me Today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Some Low-Life Tried To Ultra-Violate Me Today

Post by Pete44ru »

When I returned home this noon, from walking my dog, I found this message on my home answering machine:

"I'm calling in regards to the I.R.S. lawsuit against you. Reply withing 24 hours to tel# XXX-XXX-XXX".

Methinks it was a scammer, since AFAIK the IRS NEVER telephones, instead sending a registered letter to the taxpayer in question.

I forwarded the message to my state's Attorney General.

I've heard of other older folks receiving about the same thing, but because they picked up the call, the callers attempted (sometimes successfully) to panic their victims into paying whatever - I also heard (but IDK how true it is) that one very older person caved-in to the threat & sent $5K.

I guess I B waitin' on an arrest warrant... ;)

Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Some Low-Life Tried To Ultra-Violate Me Today

Post by Lassiter »

I've received that same call 3 times but it's always a recording I'm waitin' on my chance to screw with 'em. And you're right, the IRS will send a guy in a suit out to visit with you if the certified letters don't get a response.
When I was a patrol deputy, I was sitting in a small country church parking lot working on some reports hen a guy pulled up next to me and said he wanted to make a report. I asked him what was going on and he showed me a letter, (with a U.S. stamp on it) stating that he had won the Canadian lottery. It seems like it said that he had won $150,000.00 but that he needed to wire $3,000.00 to an address in Canada. I said, "you didn't send them the money did you?" He answered "Oh yes, I sent it 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard from them since. I think I got took".............There's one born every minute.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

it is a common scam this year ran from India. there are lots of vids on Utube of people making sport of them.

The IRS website warns of them too
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

And, it likely had an area code that doesn't exist. It is actually a country code somewhere in Africa. Happens every few weeks. I figure that's about how long it takes them to go through the L. A. phonebook and then start over again.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

JFTHOI, I called back. There was indeed an old, unserved lawsuit trying to refund several grand. Wife & I both lawyers; we ended up with more than $7k
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Tall tree, short rope time. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It's terrorists funding their fatwa against America. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! Not Muslim terrorists, mind ya, it's the IRS terrorists! :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

About 10 years ago I was listening to NPR one Sunday night while I was out working. They were interviewing a guy that had been called by one of those African scammers. He led the guy on a big story saying how glad he was that they had called. He had been looking for a contact to help supply money to workers in his country. He ended up stringing the guy along leading him from one internet cafe to another and led him right into a war zone with bullets flying. Listening to the show was a hoot!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've heard of some really good scammer scamming. In one, the guy strung the scammer along for months, had fake deals going to send a bunch of JUNK computer parts to him in Africa, at the scammers expense, ...after "accidentally" sending a large box of old magazines, junk clothes and other stuff, at the scammers expense, then had him in the phone and had the guy going with a bogus story of how the guys life was all falling apart, etc, and he performed a fake suicide with the guy on the phone at the time. It was hilarious! It was all recorded.

I dont know if that one is in this link, but I read a bunch of them in the past. It will keep you laughing.

https://forum.419eater.com/forum/
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

After receiving several scamming calls on my answer machine, I was at home when one came in.

I had previously mentioned this to a LEO friend, and he told me to do the following IF you actually speak with them: I identified myself as Sgt. Smith of the homicide squad, and requested personal info from the caller, including relationship to the deceased (me), this guy got rattled turned me over to his supervisor, and I continued my interrogation, who are you? how did you know the deceased? why are you calling? what is your home phone and address?

It stopped those people, but you have answer the phone...
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Richardx wrote:After receiving several scamming calls on my answer machine, I was at home when one came in.

I had previously mentioned this to a LEO friend, and he told me to do the following IF you actually speak with them: I identified myself as Sgt. Smith of the homicide squad, and requested personal info from the caller, including relationship to the deceased (me), this guy got rattled turned me over to his supervisor, and I continued my interrogation, who are you? how did you know the deceased? why are you calling? what is your home phone and address?

It stopped those people, but you have answer the phone...
Did it sound a bit like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50 :lol:
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

Redhawk that is great! I don't think I sounded that good but it worked. I always wondered if my buddy came up with that on his own...
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

I got an email, a while back, from a person who claimed he had found a fortune in Spanish dubloons in a pirate ship wreck in the Caribbean.

sadly, the poor man could not dive any longer due to an accident while diving on the wreck and wanted me to send him $3000 to hire another diver to complete salvaging the fortune and promised me a third of the fortune.

you guessed it right...my response... :lol: :lol: :lol:
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Did you save any of the coins for fun, or just cash them all in?

Sounds like it was a great investment opportunity!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?