Dillon RL450 UPDATE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Dillon RL450 UPDATE

Post by hondo1892 »

Guys I've had the owner of a local reloading shop looking for a used Dillon 550 for me. He called today and has a RL450 that Dillon upgraded. He sent photo's and the press looks really nice. It has a new powder measure and has the primer feed and not sure what else. He said its mine if I want for $300. I don't know much about Dillon's let alone the 450's. I would show the photo's but don't know how to send them from my phone to computer. Does the price seem reasonable to you Dillon guys? I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Also to change calibers do you just have to change shell plates or is there more to it? I'm assuming that it has both size primer feeds. Guys I went and picked up the Dillon today. Ended up costing me $260 out the door. It has the auto primer but just the for small primers so I need to order a large primer tube and cup for it. It also has the auto measure with the safety to keep it from double charging. It doesn't have the removable head but that ok with me. The guy that owns the store felt bad that it didn't have both primer feeds so he dropped the price $40 and threw in a bag of small primer 45acp to go along with it. If your looking for some odd ball reloading components he has them some times. He had some old factory ammo today in 25-35 win, 30-40, and 250 Savage along with some others I don't remember. I'll try to post his phone number later if anyones looking for things other stores don't have. He's a good guy to deal with, he tries his best to make the customer happy.
Last edited by hondo1892 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Re: Dillon RL450

Post by SteveR »

If it's the 450, then you can't change out toolheads, like with the newer ones. If it's been upgraded like a 550, then that would be a good deal, because it is essentially a 550 and not a 450.
The 450 has a cast frame that each of the reloading dies screws into, it's a good press, but if is not upgraded to the 550 specs, then pass, spend a few more dollars and get the 550.
With the upgrade, you still have to move each station, the 550 has auto indexing.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

hondo1892 wrote:Guys I've had the owner of a local reloading shop looking for a used Dillon 550 for me. He called today and has a RL450 that Dillon upgraded. He sent photo's and the press looks really nice. It has a new powder measure and has the primer feed and not sure what else. He said its mine if I want for $300. I don't know much about Dillon's let alone the 450's. I would show the photo's but don't know how to send them from my phone to computer. Does the price seem reasonable to you Dillon guys? I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Also to change calibers do you just have to change shell plates or is there more to it? I'm assuming that it has both size primer feeds.
Naw, you have to change dies also! Is it the automatic powder measure, or just a new manual one? If it's the automatic one, the only difference then is the manual primer feed & removeable tool head. With the 450, you have to unscrew each die and install the others in the press frame. Tho' Dillon does sell the upgrade frame for around $95 to make it a real 550.

I bought the last Dillon 550 from a forum member at a steal... but even for $300, the 450 is worth it, as long as you get the auto-powder and primer feed systems.
SteveR wrote:...the 550 has auto indexing.
No, the 550 still has manual indexing... the 650 has auto indexing.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Griff wrote:
hondo1892 wrote:Guys I've had the owner of a local reloading shop looking for a used Dillon 550 for me. He called today and has a RL450 that Dillon upgraded. He sent photo's and the press looks really nice. It has a new powder measure and has the primer feed and not sure what else. He said its mine if I want for $300. I don't know much about Dillon's let alone the 450's. I would show the photo's but don't know how to send them from my phone to computer. Does the price seem reasonable to you Dillon guys? I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Also to change calibers do you just have to change shell plates or is there more to it? I'm assuming that it has both size primer feeds.
Naw, you have to change dies also! Is it the automatic powder measure, or just a new manual one? If it's the automatic one, the only difference then is the manual primer feed & removeable tool head. With the 450, you have to unscrew each die and install the others in the press frame. Tho' Dillon does sell the upgrade frame for around $95 to make it a real 550.

I bought the last Dillon 550 from a forum member at a steal... but even for $300, the 450 is worth it, as long as you get the auto-powder and primer feed systems.
Thanks for pointing that out. I was thinking of the "Square Deal B".
I wouldn't say 300 is worth it, for 80 bucks more you can get a brand new Square Deal B.
https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/custo ... oader.html
That link is from Dillon.

Steve
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

SteveR wrote:
Griff wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out. I was thinking of the "Square Deal B".
I wouldn't say 300 is worth it, for 80 bucks more you can get a brand new Square Deal B.
https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/custo ... oader.html
That link is from Dillon.

Steve
But... then your standard dies don't work on the Square Deal. Buying the additional dies adds to that significantly.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Had my 450 since '82 or '83. The powder thrower is stained, but all works well. It's my main press, but then I'm more of a pistol shooter than rifle.

Drop of oil here or there, and a little toothbrush action on occasion, that's all. - Brian
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks guys. I don't mind changing dies. It will probably get used for 45acp and .357 mostly so not a lot of die changing.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

hondo1892 wrote:Thanks guys. I don't mind changing dies. It will probably get used for 45acp and .357 mostly so not a lot of die changing.
What is nice with the 550 style toolheads, are the convenience of having it all set up and ready to go. The powder, and dies are set up just as you left them.
I hate adjusting powder measures, and especially with my 45 loads once I find the sweet spot, then just adding powder and primers, and I'm ready to load.
With the 450 and other types that you have to put the dies in and out to change caliber loading, the dies are pretty much still the same, form the last time one uses them, unless changing bullet weight or style, then you have to set you powder measure for the new load. But then again, same with the 550 types. I have about 8 different powder measures, some RCBS and some Lyman, I set them up with a type of powder, and charge weight, then when reloading different calibers, it goes much quicker. The powder measures are close to what ever load I need, and can be changed very quickly.
So if you are set up for reloading, then the 450 sounds like it makes sense, if not, then the ease of use of the toolheads, might be a better alternative.

Steve
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Sounds to me like Dillon upgraded it to a 550. I know mine was many years and thousands of rounds ago. Just look at it to see if it has the removable tool head and the auto powder and primer feed. You want it! You don't want a square deal unless you only shoot that one caliber.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I had a friend gift a 550 several years ago....wish I had the space, and knowhow to set it up.... :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:I had a friend gift a 550 several years ago....wish I had the space, and knowhow to set it up.... :roll:
Easy, peasy... just get yourself one of those Craftsman "WorkMate" folding work benches and set it up to mount the Dillon on. Then when you want to load, take out and set it up. When you're ready to set it up the first time, call Dillon during working hours and they'll walk you thru it.

Like so: (set up with my Lyman "Bonanza" press for a small run)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Re: Dillon RL450 UPDATE

Post by hondo1892 »

OK guys I've just went and looked at the Dillon site and can't find the parts I need. I find different primer feed systems and the 450 upgrade but I don't need all those parts. I just need to be able to change from small to large primers. Can I call and explain and get the parts ordered? I don't like there site setup at all.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Call. the guys working the phones are knowledgeable and know there, and in your case, your stuff. the primer cup change over is not hard, and the parts should be readily available.

I have found that if I go a little slow and careful, I can still use the large prime cup seater to load my38 cases. I've not changed the cup in 20 years. - Brian
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

hondo1892 wrote:OK guys I've just went and looked at the Dillon site and can't find the parts I need. I find different primer feed systems and the 450 upgrade but I don't need all those parts. I just need to be able to change from small to large primers. Can I call and explain and get the parts ordered? I don't like there site setup at all.
Yep. That's what I'd do.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Of all the reloading stuff I've owned over the years I've never gotten a Dillon . But I don't shoot handguns much if at all . And for rifles I maybe load twenty of something at a time so maybe it wouldn't be much of a time saver for me . But I still wouldn't mind a 550 or 1050 !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !