More idiots with Tannerite

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

More idiots with Tannerite

Post by jnyork »

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes: http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/09/14/mi ... te-target/
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: More idiots with Tannerite

Post by FWiedner »

While shooting Tannerite is fun, it is an explosive, and care must be taken when it is used.
:shock:

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Severe lack of common sense there.
NRA Life Member
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Article states " when hit by a rifle round it explodes creating a highly visible fireball."

Exploding tannerite creates a white cloud of water vapor, no fire what so ever. The person who wrote this has either never seen the stuff go off, or is a colossal idiot.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

octagon wrote:Article states " when hit by a rifle round it explodes creating a highly visible fireball."

Exploding tannerite creates a white cloud of water vapor, no fire what so ever. The person who wrote this has either never seen the stuff go off, or is a colossal idiot.

When you put a quart of gasoline next to it there's a bit of a fireball. :lol:
NRA Life Member
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I know they claim Tannerite does not make a fireball, but I have twice witnessed grass and brush fires started at the local Bureau of Land Management shooting area by guys using Tannerite targets. :?:

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yes, actually, it does. It's not like you see the giant glowing flames billowing up when something blows up on TV explosions, but I have captured the explosions of 1/2 pound of tannerite on video, and if you play it back in slow motion or capture a still at just the right frame, there is definately a fireball.
NRA Life Member
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

"Whiskey gets blamed for a lotta things it didn't do..."
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Buck Elliott wrote:"Whiskey gets blamed for a lotta things it didn't do..."
:D Good analogy.

Fast cars, too....

...and pretty women...

...guns, even...

Come to think of it, all the FUN stuff gets blamed for everything... :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TedH wrote:
octagon wrote:Article states " when hit by a rifle round it explodes creating a highly visible fireball."

When you put a quart of gasoline next to it there's a bit of a fireball. :lol:
I think on the 'official Tannerite website' there is a video where they put gasoline next to some, and it didn't ignite it. I just looked and didn't find it, but they did have a document addressing the issue.

http://www.tannerite.com/WFCi.pdf

Nonetheless, I sure wouldn't use within several dozen yards of anything I was worried about catching fire or being otherwise damaged.

We put some under the end of a 50 gallon water tank we laid on its side with the Tannerite under the end towards the range bench (not at a public range, mind you). The large (quart-sized?) target blew the tank up in the air eight feet or so and it landed about 25 feet away. The tank had lots of 'perforations' from being used as a target for a couple years, but the steel was pretty heavy and strong. After the smoke cleared, the end that was towards us was flattened so instead of being round in cross-section it was crescent-shaped. VERY impressive, and the PSI right after impact must be very high indeed.

Never messed with flammable stuff though; that seems to have a way of going wrong in a bad way.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

As one, who as a teen, made mortars with empty CO2 cyls (from my Crossman) by sawing off the ends and packing with black powder....well, I don't know how I survived my youth. I sure had fun, though.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Son-in-law was into Tannerite for a while (very responsible guy, no "Hey, hold my beer & watch this!").
I've blown up maybe half a dozen with him & been present watching him do a few.

I've never seen a fireball, not visible to my eye. It's an extremely fast explosion & I've also never seen ANY sparks or burning materials of any kind come out of exploding one.

I can't see straight Tannerite igniting a fire, unless placed in close association with a secondary combustible.

The "pre-packaged" exploding targets can, because they're a different composition & packaged in burnable paper, which CAN create sparks.

And it may be fun to put the stuff inside something to blow that something to bits, but the shrapnel threat is very real.

Idiots will always find a way to prove they're idiots.
Denis