muzzloader wing shooting.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

muzzloader wing shooting.

Post by Nath »

Yesterday I found scores of birds on a flight line.
I tried for a few to cook.
Got some good shots in and plenty birds for home.
Way more fun than a cartridge gun in my opinion.
The modern guns have not been out for months!
The pictures.

Here is snap from over a week ago. Not so productive but great colours.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: muzzloader wing shooting.

Post by gamekeeper »

I have to agree, when conditions are right muzzloaders are great fun. 8)
I only have an antique percussion s/b 12ga at the moment and I load it very very light.
If the right smokepole comes along at the right price I may be tempted... :wink:

Nice photos :D :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thanks Nath, great pictures. That black powder will sure put food on the table.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Great stuff Nath. I know the satisfaction and just plain joy of hunting with mzl loading shotgun. I had a W. C. Scott and Son 12 bore that I shot for several years. Even got to use it on whitewing dove down near the Mexican border. It was a joy to shoot and makes me wonder why I traded it off. Maybe another will come my way.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings Nath
Thank you for the fine photos ! BP muzzle hunting and bird popping is great fun.
When I am up north in ILLinois I pop crows with a double flinter 12 or the caliber 60 trade smoothie, Always exciting !
Mike in Peru
Last edited by missionary5155 on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've got a 10 gauge MacFarlane we bought about 15-20 years ago . And the gun was in for lack of a better term practically unfired . I would also date it about 1850 ish . Anyway I worked up a load for it using buckshot as well as a load using birdshot . I do not however use BP I've been using Triple 7 granulated FFg .

Bought a period powder/shot measure off GB last fall but haven't used it yet !

I keep thinking I need to get a nice British 10 gauge ML as my MacFarlane is of American manufacture . Also wanna get an English double 8 ML but that's gonna be a way down the road I suspect .

I've got W&C Scott 10 , 12 and 20 gauge hammerless doubles so the obviouse Brit 10 gauge ML for me would be another Scott if I can find one at a reasonable price .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Now then on the Brit Stalking forum those guys get a little outta sorts about using ML's in the UK .

I assume it's okay for nuisance species like pigeons and ravens but verboten to use ML rifles for deerin the UK ?
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Great photos of the 10g and measure sika.

Yep, although no law actually out laws ml rifles for deer or vermin getting one on a licence for such is all but impossible. Bear in mind a rifle licence has a condition of use, fine for target shooting but getting a condition of use for anything else is impossible.
There are laws severely restricting slug and ball from smooth bores and again using a front stuffer high impossible.
Game or pests with shot, no problem.

As daft as it sounds we don't have game wardens or have to declare what we have taken or have limits.

So.....
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Down here in Peru every firearm is regulated. Every game animal is supposed to be accounted for. About the only "open" season here close by where we live is wild dogs. They escape the big city and form packs out in the desert. I do not hunt them but it they approach when the 1892 44 WCF is in my hands then that is just to bad. Sadly the packs are more numerous and few game birds are surviving the hungry hounds.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings sika
That is a fine looking 10 guage ! Now that would throw some fine patterns.
Ive never tried any substitutes in my flinters. Was using Goex 2f but ran out. Tried some 3F I had been using for priming and never used 2f again. 3F burns very clean. Plus only need to carry one powder for loading and priming.
Mike in Peru
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Love hunting with my Pedersoli Baker ,doesn t get any better

missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Tried getting photos of the double flintlock but it is beyond my computer skills. Give me a machine to work on any day.
Photos are located at Castboolits.com. In the Muzzleloading forum. Page 77 about 4 threads up from the bottom. Titled "Double Flintlock's First Crow".
Mike in Peru