Win 9422 designer?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Win 9422 designer?

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I just got a nice Win 9422M rimfire lever rifle and have had problems finding much about its design history. Anybody know who designed it?

Side ejection reminds me more of a Marlin than a Winchester, but the locking system is unlike any Marlin I've ever examined. Is it like some other Winchester's?
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Win 9422 designer?

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Still haven't found out who designed this model, but a neat article on the Leverguns website by Tom Boyle comparing the 9422 and Marlin 39/1897 lever .22s mentions that the 9422 shares some design traits with the earlier Model 61 pump .22.

I have a 61M and looking at the bolts and receivers of both I can sure see the family resemblance. 9422 is a kind of a "lever-operated pump," just as the 88 is a "lever operated Model 100" semiauto! And of course the Ruger 96/22 etc. family seem to be lever operated versions of THEIR semi-autos.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was listening to a Handgun Radio podcast the other night with a historian as the guest. It seems that in the early years there were several firearms designers that went back and forth between the different companies. The same designer ( can't remember the name) that worked for Colt and did most of the work on the 1873 SAA was later hired by Winchester to help "clean up" some of the work done by John Mosses Browning.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Was it Lewis Hepburn? He moved around a fair bit. Was at Marlin, Remington and Winchester mostly from I have read.
Pierre
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I don't know where they came from, but, I've had four different 39 variants, newest one being a early 70, or late 69, and my two 9422s (one a 9422M) are smoother, faster, and have never, ever jammed. Seems like you really have to be careful with 39s to get them to cycle perfectly. Now, on the other hand, I wish my 9422s had a trigger as good as a 39, and were as accurate.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

BlaineG wrote:I don't know where they came from, but, I've had four different 39 variants, newest one being a early 70, or late 69, and my two 9422s (one a 9422M) are smoother, faster, and have never, ever jammed. Seems like you really have to be careful with 39s to get them to cycle perfectly. Now, on the other hand, I wish my 9422s had a trigger as good as a 39, and were as accurate.
As I recall from the 9422 in 22lr that I had years ago they were what I believe is called a positive feed action, that is the cartridge leaves the tube and is captured by the bolt and extractor, it is not laying loose on the elevator.
You can even turn it sideways or upsidedown and it will still feed perfectly.
It was a very good gun and I should have never sold it.
I even had a matching 94, 30-30. Both were excellent shooters.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Using my powers of Google-Fu I came up with these two articles. Could not locate a name/names for designer/designers who added the lever to the model 61 pump to create the 9422.

The model 61 pump was designed by Frank Burton and Harry Crockett, and production started in 1932.
"What Burton and Crockett had wrought was exceptionally clever. The cartridge, when fed from the under barrel magazine, was under complete control all the way into the chamber. There was no room for slop or misalignment in feeding and chambering. This system was so good that many years later in 1972, it was used again in the heralded Model 9422 lever action." http://smith-wessonforum.com/firearms-k ... rifle.html

"In designing the action for the new (9422) rifle, the engineers turned for inspiration to a reliable and honored Winchester of the past, the Model 61 pump-action .22. Although that rifle was abandoned in 1964 as too expensive to manufacture by the old methods, Winchester’s new CNC equipment could make a similar action economically feasible. The Model 61 cartridge feed mechanism was distinguished by the fact that the cartridges were under total control from the instant they departed the under-barrel tube magazine. They were held by their rims throughout the feeding process, helping to provide excellent reliability. That action was modified so that it was actuated not by pump rails, but by a traditional under-lever." http://smith-wessonforum.com/firearms-k ... 422-a.html
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

1973 issue of Gun Digest has a good introduction article on the rifle. No mention of designer(s).
Slim