JFKs rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

JFKs rifle

Post by williamranks »

Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Re: JFKs rifle

Post by TWHBC »

"...Oswald used a Carcano rifle, not dissimilar to Kennedy's own Garand M1. Kennedy died from his wounds...."

From the attached article. Granted a British newspaper but proves the saying about common peoples separated by language. :|

At least Carcanos and M1s are rifles, dissimilar indeed! :lol:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Well, a Carcano and a Garand are both "scary-looking gun things, with pretty wooden stocks, and lots of knobs and things that probably make them more deadly..." :lol:

Still, thanks for posting; interesting article otherwise.

I have a friend who inlaid the stock of his Carcano with a Kennedy half-dollar. . . . :o :? :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:Well, a Carcano and a Garand are both "scary-looking gun things, with pretty wooden stocks, and lots of knobs and things that probably make them more deadly..." :lol:

I have a friend who inlaid the stock of his Carcano with a Kennedy half-dollar. . . . :o :? :lol:
Dang, you have no idea how guilty I feel about chuckling a bit reading that...... :oops: :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have both rifles. The best Carcano has never seen the day it could match the worst Garand!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

BlaineG wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:Well, a Carcano and a Garand are both "scary-looking gun things, with pretty wooden stocks, and lots of knobs and things that probably make them more deadly..." :lol:

Dang, you have no idea how guilty I feel about chuckling a bit reading that...... :oops: :oops:
Sad, the last good POTUS this country had. And it's been a down hill spiral ever since :cry:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

BlaineG wrote:

+1 :? :lol:
NRA Life Member
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I'm no fan of JFK so his Garand would be of no intrest to me unless I could flip it to some unsuspecting pigeon for a good profit !

Now I would like to have the pistol John Wilkes Booth did Lincoln in with (I'm not a Lincoln fan either).
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That pistol that John Wilkes Booth bounced a lead ball off of Lincoln's skull with was not the cause of death. The ball cracked Lincoln's skull, but the cause of death was the probing for the bullet. The lead ball with blood and hair on it that was picked up in Ford's theater was thought to be something from one of the shows. The medical techniques that were considered to be good at the time are what killed Lincoln.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote:That pistol that John Wilkes Booth bounced a lead ball off of Lincoln's skull with was not the cause of death. The ball cracked Lincoln's skull, but the cause of death was the probing for the bullet. The lead ball with blood and hair on it that was picked up in Ford's theater was thought to be something from one of the shows. The medical techniques that were considered to be good at the time are what killed Lincoln.
Makes no difference , I'd rather have whatever did Lincoln in then Kennedys Garand !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Man, I don't know about anyone else here, but I find your comment extremely repulsive. I hate to see good members here behave as Trolls. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

What Tut said! +1
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

While I'm sure that how good or bad any President was, or is, I'm with Tutt.

Piller, I've never read that before... do you have a source?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Saw it on one of the science shows on the History channel. It showed how the techniques at the time used some sort of electric field to find the metal object. The Doctor's report was that Lincoln was regaining consciousness, and he felt that he had to remove the lead ball so he started probing for it. The more he probed, the worse things got. All the reports were that Lincoln was regaining consciousness prior to the Doctor probing for the ball, and the medical report showed that bone pieces had to be removed before the probe could be inserted into Lincoln's brain.

I really am not trying to run down the Doctor, because, as I understand it, he was using what were considered the best techniques of the time. When he could not locate the lead ball with the plate and electric field, which was used with some success in the battlefield surgeries, he started probing. The lead was never located in Lincoln. In 150 years, many of our techniques will leave medical professionals scratching their heads in wonder at our primitive abilities.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks Piller. I'll have to follow up on that. My oldest brother is a History Phd, and has never mentioned that in all the discussions we've had on US History.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

piller wrote:The ball cracked Lincoln's skull, but the cause of death was the probing for the bullet. The lead ball with blood and hair on it that was picked up in Ford's theater was thought to be something from one of the shows.
I remember reading that the doctor's probing was thought to have contributed to Lincoln's death. However, this report is based on the autopsy records:
Debris found inside the head included the flattened ball, a sharp-edged disk of metal sheared from the ball, a burnt cloth patch that had been wrapped around the ball in the Derringer, large sharp-edged disks of bone from the inner table of the skull, and numerous small sharp fragments of thin (cancellous) bone from the plates of the skull.
Another modern doctor believes Lincoln's would was fatal and discounts the effect of the doctors' work.