A great primer on airguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

A great primer on airguns

Post by Rusty »

A lot of people have been talking about spring piston airguns of late. I found this and thought it might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yQ37mg ... ubs_digest
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: A great primer on airguns

Post by Blaine »

Thanks for posting....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I got into springer air guns because they are so simple and convenient. Then I discovered that guys like us get into tuning kits and refinements almost immediately! Here's what my opinions are.

Keeping the velocity in mid range and focused on targets and cans works wonders. If I go rabbit hunting I'll take my 9422 or 10-22, gophers and squirrels up close work. 22s are easier for ham fists to handle and load. 177 is far more common and both are surprisingly accurate in a good shooter. Some say 22 are better performers in matching high power guns in standard and heavier weights. I agree in my rifle but it is a mid-range 22, HW35E. Light weight pellets don't interest me. There is some real off shore junk out there. They are real indoor shooting friendly. The magnums I've tried were real bears to cock and I'm no lightweight. The little CZ break barrel pistol is heavy cocking with the short barrel but a legal handgun in Canada. I am thinking seriously of a S&W DA revolver in CO2 power as my field carry for prairie chicken and rabbit up close. That is the only legal option for me.

Decent ammo costs .02 per shot or cheaper. Also there are no high pressure pumps, CO2 powerlets, or scuba tanks to mess with.

I find my mid power rifles are not as hold sensitive as some are. I use the same hold I use for all my rifles and don't see much of a problem. They are still much more accurate than me! This makes the shooting more of a true practice session for me. I want my air rifle time to aid my Winchester or Marlin time.

Mine are break barrels so they are lever action guns, sorta.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

One thing I found interesting in another video I think was the rule of thumb, .177 for feathers and .22 for fur.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rusty wrote:One thing I found interesting in another video I think was the rule of thumb, .177 for feathers and .22 for fur.
I have thousands of .20 Cal. pellets for a old US made Sheridan that doesn't work anymore.... Someday, I'll either get the Sheridan rebuilt, or Pyramyd Air has a bunch of (expensive :o ) springer .20s.....Most don't come with sights anymore :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

I don't know, I kind of got away from springers. My Disco can probably be rebuilt for about a dollars worth of seals, and I can keep it cocked, or with a full payload of air for months. It doesn't vibrate, or shake (other than from me :oops: ), and I can throw anything on there for a scope.

I can have over 20 very consistent shots, and refill it easily with about 2 pumps per shot. And just recently, I shot a group of about 1/3 of an inch at a ranged 30 yards with a casual 1 point rest.

Did I mention it puts the smack down on ravens the size of small eagles?

Makes me happy, happy, happy! :D
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I suppose because all I could get my hands on as a kid was air guns, I couldn't wait to ditch them when I got to have real firearms. Nostalgia dictates that the only air guns that interest me now are springers, old ones at that.
Thirty years working in pest control I have used all types of fancy air guns, never liked any of them, I still use a CZ .177 to knock off squirrels in Shirley's town garden, even killed a fox with one shot to the back of the head with it. :shock:
To me any gun has to be simple, quick to get into action and reliable, a springer fits that description, but my 9422 with CB longs is a whole lot better. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

BlaineG wrote:
Rusty wrote:One thing I found interesting in another video I think was the rule of thumb, .177 for feathers and .22 for fur.
I have thousands of .20 Cal. pellets for a old US made Sheridan that doesn't work anymore.... Someday, I'll either get the Sheridan rebuilt, or Pyramyd Air has a bunch of (expensive :o ) springer .20s.....Most don't come with sights anymore :roll:
Blaine if you still have the gun you might consider sending it to Mac 1 airguns. He does a "Steriod Streak" that will increase the power level of that rifle close to that of a .22 LR.

I'm getting really close to getting a Discovery myself.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rusty wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Blaine if you still have the gun you might consider sending it to Mac 1 airguns. He does a "Steriod Streak" that will increase the power level of that rifle close to that of a .22 LR.

I'm getting really close to getting a Discovery myself.
THAT'S the name I was looking for the other day, and couldn't find it on Google...thanks...IIRC, they also modify the fulcrum on the pump to facilitate easier pumping.....

When it was working, four pumps would more than suffice for smacking air rifle-type targets really hard.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Im with Tac Lever on this except I use the Marauder. Hold 3k of air forever with a ten round magazine and suppresed shooting. Any scope will work and stay put. Dont matter how you hold it. Many was to charge it. Powerfull and very accurate. Simply no comparison.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote:Thanks for posting....
+1
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

BlaineG wrote:
OH MY, send them my way :D I collected air guns for thirty years, plus having a love affair with old lever guns. I managed to snag a couple of Sheridan
Model A Super Grades in all those years.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I just couldn't help myself... :oops:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Daisyman wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
OH MY, send them my way :D I collected air guns for thirty years, plus having a love affair with old lever guns. I managed to snag a couple of Sheridan
Model A Super Grades in all those years.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I just couldn't help myself... :oops:
I'm pretty sure I need a solidly rebuilt by Mac1 Sheridan Silver Streak....Returning it to factory specs with a trigger job would more than suffice.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Sorry to contribute the the hijaking of this thread, but I actually do know something about airguns

1. yes, Tim at Mac1 is a good guy. He did the steroid treatment on an old blue streak that I had with blown seals. I can recommend it. The power with max pumps is the same as the RWS 48 in .22 cal that I have which is impressive for a pumper. The real benefit though is that you get good power with fewer pumps, but then do have the flexibility to go higher. Also, that old sheridan is SCARY accurate with the williams peep sight that I also HIGHLY recommend. I had Tim install one while he had it. Depending on how old your sheridan is, he may have to drill/tap holes for the peep, after a certain year they came drilled.

2. Daisyman, holy stuff! I did not need to see those super grades. I drooled over them for years. At one point I had 5 or 6 sheridans. I'm now down to 3. Man, those super grades are literally the ultimate pump airgun. wow.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:o :o :shock: :shock: I was looking at the price of run of the mill .20 Cal pellets....500 of them costs more than most of the bricks of .22 I bought 10 years ago...
..... :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

FLINT wrote:Sorry to contribute the the hijaking of this thread, but I actually do know something about airguns

1. yes, Tim at Mac1 is a good guy. He did the steroid treatment on an old blue streak that I had with blown seals. I can recommend it. The power with max pumps is the same as the RWS 48 in .22 cal that I have which is impressive for a pumper. The real benefit though is that you get good power with fewer pumps, but then do have the flexibility to go higher. Also, that old sheridan is SCARY accurate with the williams peep sight that I also HIGHLY recommend. I had Tim install one while he had it. Depending on how old your sheridan is, he may have to drill/tap holes for the peep, after a certain year they came drilled.

2. Daisyman, holy stuff! I did not need to see those super grades. I drooled over them for years. At one point I had 5 or 6 sheridans. I'm now down to 3. Man, those super grades are literally the ultimate pump airgun. wow.

Yea, I got to agree. I really like them.
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

The Benjiman 177 pumper for easy, fine shooting. The Shanghai Air Rifle Company 25+ year old underlever springer for a faster first shot on rats and rustlers.