Epic Missile Failure: USS Sullivans

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Epic Missile Failure: USS Sullivans

Post by Old No7 »

Here's an interesting story & pic from a buddy at the local gun club...

Old No7

Earlier this month a medium-long range shipboard surface-to-air missile malfunctioned and exploded above the US Navy destroyer "USS The Sullivans".
[attachment=0]Missile Fail - The Sullivans.png[/attachment]
The scheduled missile exercise occurred on July 18 at approximately 9 a.m. off the coast of Virginia, according to the US Navy Institute.

While there were no reported injuries, the blast from the Raytheon Standard Missile-2 did create a small fire on the port side of the ship.

"It is too early to determine what, if any, effect this will have on the ship's schedule," Naval Sea Systems Command said in a statement to USNI News.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Epic Missile Failure: USS Sullivans

Post by gamekeeper »

14 days too late!.... :wink:

Glad nobody got hurt.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Funny one John. :wink:

(OK, it took me a few seconds to get it though, I'll admit...)

I remember building a plastic model of The Sullivans WWII destroyer many decades ago. There is quite a story to the naming of this next-generation "The Sullivans", and here it is:

The latest ship named "USS The Sullivans" (DDG-68) is an Arleigh Burke-class "Aegis" guided missile destroyer, and is the second ship of the United States Navy to be named for the five Sullivan brothers — George, Francis, Joseph, Madison, and Albert Sullivan, aged 20 to 27 – who lost their lives when their ship, USS Juneau, was sunk by a Japanese submarine in November 1942 in the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal (the first ship named for them was DD-537).

That was the greatest military loss by any one American family during World War II. In 2000 a group affiliated with Al Qaeda attempted to attack and destroy The Sullivans DDG-68, but the attackers' boat sank before the attack could be carried out.

I remember seeing pictures of "Gold Star" flags in the windows of homes that last a son... But 5 at once? I can't even fathom it...

And if I recall, since then, now you can't have members of the same family serving on-board the same ships due to that incident.

Tight groups.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I was wondering if that was the reason for the name. Thanks for the confirmation!
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

My dad served on the original DD537 in WWII.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Naval_Park

There was also a movie about the Sullivan brothers.
Pierre
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

More info on the original The Sullivans, which might be of interest to those close to or heading towards Buffalo...

Old No7

She was also the first ship commissioned in the Navy that honored more than one person.

After service in both World War II and the Korean War, The Sullivans was assigned to the 6th Fleet and was a training ship until she was decommissioned on 7 January 1965. In 1977, she and cruiser USS Little Rock (CG-4) were processed for donation to the Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park in Buffalo, New York. The ship now serves as a memorial and is open for public tours.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

pdentrem wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Naval_Park

There was also a movie about the Sullivan brothers.
Pierre

The movie was called "The Fighting Sullivans."
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Thank you for posting that photo. That is why when munitions are fired safety procedures will be adhered to. Know of a stay caliber .50 burst that took off the search light and other gear from the exterior of a M60A1 tank that was search light tank at a Graf Range in 1973. Fortunately the crew was inside and buttoned up per SOP.
I remember seeing that movie before the Green Machine took possession of my life. If I remember right after that battle and the terrible loss to the Sullivan family US military stopped placing brothers in the same units.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Old No7 wrote:Funny one John. :wink:

(OK, it took me a few seconds to get it though, I'll admit...)

I remember building a plastic model of The Sullivans WWII destroyer many decades ago. There is quite a story to the naming of this next-generation "The Sullivans", and here it is:

The latest ship named "USS The Sullivans" (DDG-68) is an Arleigh Burke-class "Aegis" guided missile destroyer, and is the second ship of the United States Navy to be named for the five Sullivan brothers — George, Francis, Joseph, Madison, and Albert Sullivan, aged 20 to 27 – who lost their lives when their ship, USS Juneau, was sunk by a Japanese submarine in November 1942 in the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal (the first ship named for them was DD-537).

That was the greatest military loss by any one American family during World War II. In 2000 a group affiliated with Al Qaeda attempted to attack and destroy The Sullivans DDG-68, but the attackers' boat sank before the attack could be carried out.

I remember seeing pictures of "Gold Star" flags in the windows of homes that last a son... But 5 at once? I can't even fathom it...

And if I recall, since then, now you can't have members of the same family serving on-board the same ships due to that incident.

Tight groups.

Old No7

That isn't true. During my active duty days in VN there were two sets of brothers aboard. :roll:
Merle from PA
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I knew two young brothers that were assigned to the same troop at the same time. Their father then was assigned to the same squadron. When their unit deployed, they required one brother to be transferred to a different squadron.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Those brothers were born about 100 miles from me in Waterloo, Iowa.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

My oldest brother and I were in the first gulf war together but there where two others not serving. As long as they leave one seperated.
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

You can tour USS The Sullivans DD-537, Fletcher class) at the Buffalo NY Naval & military park on the lakefront. Also USS Little Rock (CG-4, Cleveland class) and the submarine USS Croaker (SS-246, Gato class). It's a great tour, you aren't guided so you can take your time & see what you want, stop along the way & look a little deeper. There's a yellow line to follow, it takes you through all three ships. I was there two years ago, I think admission to the tour was about $10.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

At Pearl Harbor there were 23 sets of brothers lost on the Arizona. http://www.history.com/news/5-facts-abo ... ss-arizona