Big butt update

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Big butt update

Post by hondo1892 »

Here are some new photo's of the rifle I've been working on. It's been slow going because we've had lots of company lately. When my parents were down my Dad and I worked on putting siding on my gun shop. Then my sister and her husband came down and my BIL helped put siding on my forge lean to. So the rifle has been getting here and there work. It looks kinda goofy right now because I put stain on areas that I'm trying to get all the tool marks out of. My eyes miss a lot on naked wood anymore and the stain helps pop out the tool marks. When it is finished it will have a very dark finish on the rifle. Right now I'm carving and doing just a little bit of engraving on the patch box. The patch box is a double lid box. There is an original with a box like this from one of the Carolina's. I think that the smaller cavity may have been used for holding patch grease while the other had patches or cleaning gear. After everything is carved I will be putting a fake wrist repair on it to cover the big bark inclusion in the wrist. Any ways here's how she looks.
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Big butt update

Post by DadsMod12 »

Wow, that is a thing of beauty - and it's not even finished. I can't wait to see it when it's done!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Absolutely beautiful rifle! I don't think a lot of folks realize how popular big butts were back in the day (Kardashians aside!). I had this one built a number of years back by riflemaker Bill Rooks. It is an exact copy of the rifle my 5X-great-grandfather used in the Battle of Kings Mountain. How do I know it's exact? Because I lovingly and meticulously photographed and measured every piece of the original, which is in the possession of the local history museum, and provided Bill with all the info. .58 cal., swamped barrel, maple stock, hand-wrought iron trigger guard, very plain rifle, but wonderfully balanced and accurate.

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Whew! I thought it was a Kardashian post. :o

Seriously though, that is looking awesome.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Coming along real good
I've got a gun stock a fellow gave me that looks similar, big ol butt and very, very long I mean 6 foot or longer
If you don't mind I'd like to picture it on your thread, maybe you could tell me what it is or intended for
It's not finished or ever had any metal other than a buttplate installed

PLOWBOY
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Very professional work. Very nice, indeed. What is the total length of the rifle-5 feet? Also how much does she weigh. Seems like it would be kinda hard to steady such a long beastie.
But again, very nice.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is just stunning! The is exactly the stock geometry I am looking for. Did you start with a blank, chunk of wood, or something in between?
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Plowboy go ahead and post. I may not be able to tell you much but I can try. Uncle buck it is about five feet but only weighs about seven pounds. It has a swamped barrel and that makes for a well balanced rifle. The breech end of a swamped barrel is where most of weight is so they aren't nose heavy. Kid I start with a chunk of wood, barrel, lock and a bunch of steel bar and sheet to make my rifles. This rifle has a pewter nose cap on it but I also use steel for nose caps too. Pisgah where was your ancestor from? I had a great grandfather of so many greats that fought at King's Mountain also, he was from South Carolina. I found his name on a roster on one of the King's Mountain web sites.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Hondo you do some really nice work. The last rock lock I had was a Cabin Creek Yorktown rifle. I miss it some times but just don't have the time for it any more.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

To say that I'm impressed would be a massive understatement..... :mrgreen:

Pisgah, you too have a wonderful rifle.
I love to see historical firearms that can be safely used to give us a lesson in history. Just imagine woods walking with a flintlock and a hawk in those days!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

hondo1892 wrote:Plowboy go ahead and post. I may not be able to tell you much but I can try. Uncle buck it is about five feet but only weighs about seven pounds. It has a swamped barrel and that makes for a well balanced rifle. The breech end of a swamped barrel is where most of weight is so they aren't nose heavy. Kid I start with a chunk of wood, barrel, lock and a bunch of steel bar and sheet to make my rifles. This rifle has a pewter nose cap on it but I also use steel for nose caps too. Pisgah where was your ancestor from? I had a great grandfather of so many greats that fought at King's Mountain also, he was from South Carolina. I found his name on a roster on one of the King's Mountain web sites.
He was William White of the Chester District of SC. Interesting to me is that Samuel Phillips of NC was also a direct ancestor on the maternal side of the family.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Hey guys, my Great Grandfather was James M. White of New Bern NC. Killed in the War of Northern Aggression. My Grandfather, James W. White and his brother were sent west on an orphan train. Any chance there is a connection?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hondo1892, that's a great lookin' rifle! Psigah, your's also. Is that just a hole in the stock for lube? I've seen others like that and was told it was for patch lube.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I REALLY like the inletted treatment of the forend tip !

You've done well, Pilgrim....... :)

GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

"swamped barrel" same thing as a tapered barrel?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

UncleBuck wrote:"swamped barrel" same thing as a tapered barrel?
Nope - a tapered barrel is larger @ the breech end than the muzzle end; a swamped barrel's mid section is smaller than either end.

IOW, swamped bbls have a double taper.

Straight-tapered octagon (example):

Swamped octagon (example):

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

M. M. Wright wrote:Hey guys, my Great Grandfather was James M. White of New Bern NC. Killed in the War of Northern Aggression. My Grandfather, James W. White and his brother were sent west on an orphan train. Any chance there is a connection?
Possible, certainly, but an awful lot of Whites came over in the Scotch-Irish migration, some in to the north (mostly PA) who then often came south, and also in to Charleston, SC. Mine came through Charleston in 1763 from County Antrim, Northern Ireland, William being 12 years old at the time.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Griff wrote:Hondo1892, that's a great lookin' rifle! Psigah, your's also. Is that just a hole in the stock for lube? I've seen others like that and was told it was for patch lube.
Yep, that's for lube. It is perfectly sized for swiping a patched .58 ball over your grease.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Wow. Simply....wow.

(Applause)
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Lovely and I'll wager she just hangs, suspended in space, front sight settled on the mark when shooting off your hind legs like the Creator intended. Prone position being something for other, lesser rifles.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Glad that you all like her. I'll get some more photo's when she is finished.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Silly question, what purpose does the larger muzzle end serve?

plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Heres what ive got, don't know anything about it, other than I think it is an under hammer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

This may be something homemade, if so it's done very well
A friend of mine bought 2 of them at a country auction for 5 bucks
Gave me this one
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Plowboy, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I've been in Maine for the last week. Yes your stock does look like it was made for an under hammer device. It was probably something that a custom maker made a master and had duplicates made up to make building quicker. Its not anything I have ever seen done commercially. I've never used an under hammer before but some guys really like them. Everyone that I know that has had them say you really need a really good fit with the cap and nipple fit if you hunt with it. You would probably have to make your own action to work in that stock. I have never seen an under hammer set up like it before.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Thank for gittin back with me on that, had kinda been wondering