Finally watched American Sniper....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Finally watched American Sniper....

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd read Kyle's book in 2013, and just finished reading Taya's book 'American Wife'.

Figured I'd watch "American Sniper" Thursday PM, "The Patriot" Friday PM, & "Shooter" Saturday PM. Those should all be good 'patriotic' movies appropriate for this weekend. 8)

It was a good movie, although I never saw a scope where adjusting the focus or magnification resulted in 'clicks'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bdhold

Re: Finally watched American Sniper....

Post by bdhold »

Mel Gibson's heart is usually in the right place, but he can take hollywood liberties.
I think the real stories of Daniel Morgan and Nathaniel Greene were much better.
If you ever get a chance to watch The Revolution miniseries (the one narrated by Edward Hermann), it's the best presentation ever of our nation's origin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ameri ... iniseries)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My only real issue with the American Sniper movie was the bogus baby "Kyle" carried at the birth of his child - the producers spent all the $$$ to make the film, then used a doll ? ?

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Great choice of movies! I'll need to add "American Wife" to my to-read list.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

There are severe restrictions filming kids and especially babies which is why they often use twins (more shooting time).

From what I uunderstand they did the best they could when the baby wasn't cooperating and the crew was ready.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

bulldog1935 wrote:Mel Gibson's heart is usually in the right place, but he can take hollywood liberties...
Did you mean Clint Eastwood... I don't recall that Mel had anything to do with "American Sniper".
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

He was referring to the patriot I think :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 wrote:He was referring to the patriot I think :wink:
Yep
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

IIRC from the book he did not actually SHOOT the first boy with the grenade, but did shoot the mom, or did I miss something in the book?

If you think about the complexities of making a film from a book, I am sure there is always something to keep it from being 100% accurate, but overall it was real close. Very entertaining. While I served in the Viet Nam "era" I never served in combat, but to me, the battle scenes they depicted seemed about at real and confusing and scary as they could make it.

I am 100% positive no movie can make it as real as having bullets and bombs all around you, but for us un-experienced folks, it was pretty close. Seems like the only ones that would NOT have a PTSD would be office clerks.

The shame was for him to have served and survived only to die at the hands of one he was trying to help. No sympathy for that fellow at all.
kragluver
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kragluver »

He never says that he shot the boy in the book but I think he wrote something about taking two shots that day - so perhaps he was alluding to it. Either way, that had to be an extremely difficult thing to do and deal with.
OD#3
Levergunner

Post by OD#3 »

I never read the book, but the part where he was riding in the back of the truck, getting briefed on what his overwatch job was going to be on the mission that he was already en-route to bugged me. Hollywood does this a lot for dramatic effect.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

No doubt he was a great American, but IMO, it was BS when Hollywood wanted to show him talking to the wife on a satellite phone during the middle of a mission. There were other distractors similar to that but HOLLYWOOD goes for the drama.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
kragluver
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kragluver »

He wrote that he would do so in the book. That part wasn't made up. During one phone call he got into a pretty severe fight and dropped the phone. His wife heard it all over the open line.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

kragluver wrote:He wrote that he would do so in the book. That part wasn't made up. During one phone call he got into a pretty severe fight and dropped the phone. His wife heard it all over the open line.
So what you are saying is he was a dumbazz! Not sure where he grew up in the military, but operational security is paramount regardless of how special you might think you are. IMO, definately not SOP for any unit even SPECOPS.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I found the constant use of the "F word" to be vulgar and offensive to me and my wife. Yes, I know that this is the way that many soldiers talk but it's still vulgar to me. The movie would've been much better without all the foul language and cursing in my opinion.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

You want real, you got it.

You want nice, clean, antiseptic non-actual-reality.....watch Disney.

As to the sat phone call..... yes, it apparently really happened. The fact he was in Iraq was no secret. As if she didn't know. IIRC he had been making a regular "i'm here, i'm all right" call, without any real details, when a fight kicked off. It's not like he deliberately called her mid firefight.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

It's interesting that we get offended when we hear the F Word and other cursing, but watching someone get shot by another human being is all right. I know, I go to watch the action too but this departure from our moral code is interesting. Bad words, no good. Graphic war violence, yay, good movie!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

kragluver wrote:He wrote that he would do so in the book. That part wasn't made up. During one phone call he got into a pretty severe fight and dropped the phone. His wife heard it all over the open line.
Yep. I've talked to others who were 'over there' who did the same thing on occasion.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "