A Call To Arms !!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

A Call To Arms !!

Post by Streetstar »

Gentlemen, this post is in the spirit of Independence Day

I perused the topics on the front page and only 25% of them are levergun related

My recommendation - (and also in light of the bickering in the political forum over this n that ) - Is we as a collective should take up arms and head to our nearest field/range/rock quarry/ convenience store - (err - scratch that last one ) and shoot a levergun or two -- (or a 1911, even a side lever -- heck, its independence day, giving a Garand, an M4 or even a 1776 style front stuffer is also in keeping with this day )

I'll try to lead by example with a pic or two of any shooting i can do over the next few days , but an Independence Day (or week, or time frame) photo thread seems like a good idea to me

:) :)
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: A Call To Arms !!

Post by Griff »

Not to sound like a whiney crybaby, but... it's hot outside, can I just take one out of the safe and fondle it a little? :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Griff wrote:Not to sound like a whiney crybaby, but... it's hot outside, can I just take one out of the safe and fondle it a little? :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Given Texas's proximity to Mexico, if you just stood on the back porch and unleashed a fusillade into the air after drinking an ice cold pitcher of sangria , I think that would be a perfectly acceptable way to celebrate the 4th with a little south of the border flair ! :D
----- Doug
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, every July 4th since I got into guns as a youngster, I fire off at least one of my guns (in my back yard) to honor our forefathers.

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Good thinking, Doug. I'll see what us chillins can do here.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

earlmck wrote:Good thinking, Doug. I'll see what us chillins can do here.
Awesome !

I'll start the pics off with a short "range report" -- nothing fancy -- just my little Henry, a Single Six, and a single "reactive target" (from last nights consumption- not this morning) ----
HArd to ignore the entertainment i get from just 21 rounds of .22 LR :) :)

Distance was as far as i could throw the aforementioned reactive target - and then kick it a little further downrange with each successive hit

My consensus is that i am still not much of a pistolero, but the little Henry always seems to be "on it" everytime it comes out of the closet --- still a great gun for not a lot of money

Hopefully more to follow before the day is out

----- Doug
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Oh heck, we don't need no stinking ranges. Just shoot up into the air. :o
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I always celebrste Independence Day by shooting whatever is the most politically incorrect LibTard-offending gun I can find.... :twisted:

(....and I've got LOTS of 'em... :lol: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I had off yesterday and went to the range to sight in a scope on my Taurus Model 63. Not a levergun, but something I wanted to get done. I had a Picatinny scope/optics rail put on it, then mounted the scope. No good unless it is sighted in, after all.

It was actually one of those range sessions that makes you want to give up shooting... :( :( :(

The gun is finicky. If I load more than 6 rounds, it jams - and it is a royal PITA to clear jams in this gun. It would not hold a zero - and this was at 21 feet! I am not sure if it is the gun, ammunition, scope or some combination. I don't think it is the scope, as it is a BSA "Sweet 22". Not cheap, but not expensive. I've had luck with that scope on other .22's. I suspect it is a combination of the gun and ammunition (may also be the new mounting rail). Anyway, I will clean it thoroughly and the next time I go out, I'll bring a selection of ammo to see what it likes to feed and what it prefers to shoot.

Did function test an old Mossberg 183KC in the back yard tonight. With all the fireworks going off all around me, including the ones we had just let off, no one was the wiser. :D Functioned flawlessly! :D :D :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Had a nice BBQ at my adopted (she was an adult in college when we took her in) daughter's. One of her teacher friends was there. When my wife's cousin and I started to compare guns (1911's to be specific, he has a beautiful Gold Cup) she just couldn't keep her mouth shut and mouthed off about how people shouldn't have guns.

Imagine, celebrating the birth of our nation which only came about by force of arms and she has to spout off her BS. I was polite, all I did was remind her (she teaches history on the high school level), that it was armed citizens that created the place she calls home. It was armed citizen soldiers that have kept the place she calls home ever since.

She wisely shut up. And yes, she will not be invited again.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Make Our Own Fireworks

Post by BrianSH »

While I normally shoot on the Fourth, this year on the third, I took a friend to the range. We got his AR roughly sighted in and did some pistol work on some steel. Then lunch at a local BBQ shack, and then off to our favorite tobacconist for cigars.

All in all, a great day. And I will count that as shooting over the Fourth Holidays just the same. - Brian
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Make Our Own Fireworks

Post by Streetstar »

BrianSH wrote:While I normally shoot on the Fourth, this year on the third, I took a friend to the range. We got his AR roughly sighted in and did some pistol work on some steel. Then lunch at a local BBQ shack, and then off to our favorite tobacconist for cigars.

All in all, a great day. And I will count that as shooting over the Fourth Holidays just the same. - Brian
That does sound like a great day :) I meant to meet an Army buddy to shoot M1A's later in the day but we had a freak rain storm ---we are re-scheduling for later in the week if possible

- I'm gonna keep the party going throughout July if i can
----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm hoping to get out to shoot with my Minister & his sons (I just sold one of his boys a rifle) in the next month or so.

About the best I can hope for right now.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Went to the range and fired around 200 rounds from my .45 Colt Blackhawk, .357 Blackhawk, and S&W 36.

Post by octagon »

My Son and I went through 100 .22 in the Colt revolver this am, then about a 100 9mm through the block 17, shooting a few cans, and then through a mesquite limb about 5in diameter. Yesterday blew up a tv with tannerite, and went through about three large wheelbarrows of fireworks with the Cuzbro, with hotdogs, hotlinks, watermelons, Fredericksburg peaches, swimming for the kids, and lots of cold beer and slide guitars for adults. fantastic fourth ! :D :D :D :D