Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BILLYDIXON
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BILLYDIXON »

I've tried to get 5744. But it's impossible. Is there another powder that's similar. I usually drive 3 hours to get my powder and other components.
Thanks
NRA Life
GOA Life
NSSA Life
AMA Life
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 5744

Post by 6pt-sika »

I used SR4759 before I found 5744 however as I am sure you're aware they've quit making SR4759 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I know your pain... Many powders are difficult to find right now, but supplies do seem to be very slowly improving.
Before suggesting another powder, it would help to know what caliber(s) you are loading for?

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

How many different brands of 5744 are there, or are they all the same?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

5744 is a AA product, Grafs & son has 1 lb. and 8 lb. in stock. danny
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Besides the 5744 it looks like Grafs has H110 and WW296, as well as Lil' Gun. I hadn't seen those available in quite some time. But dang! are they proud of that 5744 -- $250 for an 8# jug.

Powder Valley ( http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/index.html )also has the 5744 for a mere $227/jug. But they don't yet show Lil' Gun and H110 as available.

If you can get together with some other folks needing 5744 you can get several jugs and spread the Hazmat fee around to be more cost-effective. That's what I try to do...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Natchez has it in stock.

http://www.natchezss.com/
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

veeman wrote:How many different brands of 5744 are there, or are they all the same?
There's been two formulations since I've been using it, starting in 1987. Both by Accurate. The first I got was said to be a surplus power and was labeled AA5744(something or other). The last 2 8lbers I got were just labeled AA5744. I've noticed no real difference.

I don't know of a suitable replacement. Let me qualify that... in a close burn rate & loading density. It has a moderate burn rate but more importantly a relative high loading density for the pressure curve... which makes it a good choice for the voluminous cartridges of the BP era. (Hope I stated that correctly).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Not sure if what they have would help you now but have you tried,

http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/pr ... ory=Powder

They deal in all kinds of surplus powders and the types change from time to time.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I just got back from a local gun store and got a pound of it. I can't believe the price gouging on this product. I bought some last year for $29.99 which was a rip-off. The year before I got it for $19.99. I just paid $34.99 for it. The eight pounder was almost $250. I guess everyone is gouging the customer and lamely blaming it on "the shortage". There won't be much of a shortage at these prices. FWIW, it wasn't a big box store, just a local large gun store in Buffalo, NY.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

OK, I ask because the bottle that I have says XMR5744 on the front, but then on the side it says XMP5744, also on the side it says Accurate Arms Co.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

veeman wrote:OK, I ask because the bottle that I have says XMR5744 on the front, but then on the side it says XMP5744, also on the side it says Accurate Arms Co.
I'll have to look at my old 1lb bottle when I get home tomorrow, but that rings a bell!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

This 1 lb bottle is a couple years old, price tag on it is $18.95. I just was wondering if just the labels have changes over the years and it's the same powder or if there was more than one 5744, kinda like IMR4227 and H4227.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

veeman wrote:How many different brands of 5744 are there, or are they all the same?
AA powders have been made all over the world. Israel, South Africa, Czech Rep., and now Canada and probably a couple others I don't remember. I have some from at least three of those sources. I doubt that 5744 came from all of them because there was a time when 5744 was dropped and unavailable. It amazes me that they do as well as they do in keeping the variations as small as they do. I can't speak for 5744 quirks from one to another as rarely have I used it to "push the envelope" except in one case. It works pretty snazzy in a 500 Nitro :o
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

It is very close to 4198 in burning rate. In the .30-30 5744 and 4198 produce very similar velocities with the same powder charge.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Where in va are you? I noticed on Friday that the shop in Harrisonburg looked fully stocked with powder. I can check to see if the have 5744. I have bought it there before. I use it for the 32-40
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I have found that IMR 4227 and 5744 have virtually identical burn rates in the original black powder calibers that I use them in. What I mean by that is that the same weight will give the same velocity. There is a caveat, however. In the bigger cartridges, IMR 4227 is very position sensitive. For that reason, I no longer use IMR 4227 but if I had to, I would use it with a single sheet of single ply toilet paper loosely rolled and folded. For the larger cartridges, such as the 45-70 and 45-90, if I can't get 5744, then IMR 4198 is my next preference. The exact same load as 5744 gives me a little lower velocity, but IMR 4198 gives a pretty consistent burn, especially with some loose toilet paper filler.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Last big BP cartridge I loaded 3 years ago up north there was the 50-95. 3F gave very nice accuracy with the 350 grain bullet I wanted to use in the 1876 repro rifle. 5744 was the only powder that came close to the 3.5 in groups 3F would produce at 100 yards off cross sticks. Very constant velocity with a few "grains" left down the bore. It maybe would have tied 3F for accuracy but I refused to pass the 1465 fps velocity 3f gave with the same groove sized range scrap bullet.
I had called Accurate Arms for loading advice with 5744 as none was published for the 50-95. Their advice was near dead on with my Crono. I stopped 5 grains short of their max load from their "computer" program. Each grain increase was raising velocity on a very straight progressive path. At no time was there any pressure signs. When the velocity and case head area diameter matched my 3F loads I stopped.
So in the end 5744 will shoot 3.80 inches at 100 yards from my 50-95 rifle off cross sticks. Nice round groups just like 3F. I did change the rear site as the factory ladder site was loose and wobbled. The full buck horn King's site made shooting out to the 12" 200 yard gong very easy off cross sticks. Now if I can just find a loose shaggy critter...
This is pretty much my experience I have found with 5744 in 43 Spanish, 45-70, 45-90, 50-70, and the 50-95. Will come very close to tying 3F loads and that is not an easy task in BP cartridges.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

[quote="KirkD"] single sheet of single ply toilet paper

In what cartridge do you use a full sheet? I'm loading a 45-75 for my Uberti 76, and I was using a chunk not much bigger than my thumb. Does the TP need to be packed tight?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

veeman wrote:
KirkD wrote: single sheet of single ply toilet paper

In what cartridge do you use a full sheet? I'm loading a 45-75 for my Uberti 76, and I was using a chunk not much bigger than my thumb. Does the TP need to be packed tight?
I use it as filler to fill the empty space in 38-55, 45-60, 45-70 and 45-90. I take a single sheet of single ply TP and fold it in half. I then roll it up to about the diameter of a pencil and then fold that roll in half. I then insert the two 'legs' of the folded roll into the case and push it down to meet the powder. I then seat and crimp the bullet. Depending on the powder you use you may have to reduce the size of TP. You don't want it packed in there, just loosely.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

KirkD wrote: I use it as filler to fill the empty space in 38-55, 45-60, 45-70 and 45-90. I take a single sheet of single ply TP and fold it in half. I then roll it up to about the diameter of a pencil and then fold that roll in half. I then insert the two 'legs' of the folded roll into the case and push it down to meet the powder. I then seat and crimp the bullet. Depending on the powder you use you may have to reduce the size of TP. You don't want it packed in there, just loosely.
Verrry interesting, Kirk. As I was picturing this in my mind, I thought that you were not necessarily holding the powder charge back against the primer like is generally tried with fillers, but rather were taking up nearly all the excess room but with some possibility of a little bit of powder movement. But when I gave it a try with 45/70 and 25 grains 5744 it seemed to totally fill the space with no slack to let powder move forward. And it looks I'd get about 3 rounds (maybe 4) filled to a sheet of tp. Maybe my tp is larger?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Earl,
I've used TP in a 40-82 and 45-90. The longer cases of these cartridges are about right for a single sheet of TP rolled and folded as Kirk described. IIRC, the 45-90 family of cartridges are ~3/10 of an inch longer than the 45-70 family of cartridges. Even with he longer case, the TP pretty much restricts the powder from moving forward toward the bullet, but the TP isn't smashed tightly between the bullet and the top of the powder. Its just enough to fill the space.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Just seemed like a full square was a lot, that's why I asked.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Just a safety reminder when loading 5744 if using a fiber or solid wad there cannot be a air gap between the wad and bullet base or the bullet becomes a barrel obstruction and not a bullet anymore think of it as BP loading no air gap, a wad that is not touching the bullet can result in at least at minimum a ringed chamber and at worst a blowup. loose powder that doesnt fill the case is no problem with 5744. info is on AA website, 5744 is not position sensitive thus no fillers are needed its 20% NG. Ive never had a problem with 5744 save some unburnt powder in pistol loads <18000 psi. It burns clean in my mag pistol and rifle loads. 5744 is a different beast than the run of the mill powders that need to be positioned with fillers for reliable ignition in big cases or reduced loads. danny
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I have used the TP method in my 50-110 for reduces loads, have had great success with it. Don't want to shoot the mule kickers all the time :mrgreen:

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I should emphasize that I use single-ply toilet paper. If one uses the standard, double ply, then a half sheet might be plenty. Having said that, if even that looks like too much, then use less. The main thing is to use it as a filler (loosely rolled and folded), not a plug that holds the powder tight to the primer.