Winning/Champion (red) Chili Recipes Listing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Winning/Champion (red) Chili Recipes Listing

Post by Pete44ru »

A listing of winning chili recipes, for those interested: http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Reci ... =4&Champ=1

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Winning/Champion (red) Chili Recipes Listing

Post by Old Ironsights »

May your nether regions burn forever for giving me access to weapons grade recipes... :shock:

Now I have to try to kill a continent with meat. tomatoes and peppers... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

Hmm... They all spell it wrong and put beans, tomatoes, and hamburger in it. Beans belong on the side and chile should have cubed or shredded beef, pork, or chicken in it. It also comes in the Colorado (red) and Verde (green) varieties and the color comes from the chiles themselves. But hey, I'm picky.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My wife makes a white chili that by all standards shouldn't be called chili at all but it's great and doesn't bother my stomach like cooked tomatoes do.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

superchicken wrote:Hmm... They all spell it wrong and put beans, tomatoes, and hamburger in it. Beans belong on the side and chile should have cubed or shredded beef, pork, or chicken in it. It also comes in the Colorado (red) and Verde (green) varieties and the color comes from the chiles themselves. But hey, I'm picky.
Agreed, no tomatoes, but, if it doesn't have beans it's not chili, it's hotdog relish.
Would you cook beans and have the ham on the side?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I like black bean chili...But, lentils, and barley will do.... No tomatoes, and served over white rice ain't bad.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

765x53 wrote:
superchicken wrote:Hmm... They all spell it wrong and put beans, tomatoes, and hamburger in it. Beans belong on the side and chile should have cubed or shredded beef, pork, or chicken in it. It also comes in the Colorado (red) and Verde (green) varieties and the color comes from the chiles themselves. But hey, I'm picky.
Agreed, no tomatoes, but, if it doesn't have beans it's not chili, it's hotdog relish.
I was having a little fun with the post. Chili is an Americanized version of Hispanic food. There's nothing wrong with gringo chili, I just like the New Mexico stuff better. I spent 12 years there and am still close enough to smuggle out green chiles by the burlap sack every August. No beans in New Mexican chile. In my opinion, ham is an unfortunate waste of a perfectly good pig. When I make pintos, I generally cook them with a small pork butt thrown in after its been seared on a hot grill. I also add plenty of jalapeño, onion, garlic, cumin, cilantro, etc. but no tomatoes. It's not a big thing in NM cooking. Green chile in NM is either a sauce made with pork and chiles or a full blown stew with potatoes, onions. The green color is because there is a whole pile of diced up chiles added. Red chile is the same pepper as the green, but they let it ripen fully and then sun dry them. When I cook red chile, I reconstitute the dried chiles in warm water, add broth, cook with onions, then puree. Then I slow cook with lots of cubed beef, and cumin. Let it cook down and get the beef good and tender. I thicken with corn meal, add garlic, more cumin, cilantro, and a little lime. Both versions have lots of chile and will leave your innards aglow quite nicely.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

superchicken wrote:
765x53 wrote:
I was having a little fun with the post. Chili is an Americanized version of Hispanic food. There's nothing wrong with gringo chili, I just like the New Mexico stuff better. I spent 12 years there and am still close enough to smuggle out green chiles by the burlap sack every August. No beans in New Mexican chile. In my opinion, ham is an unfortunate waste of a perfectly good pig. When I make pintos, I generally cook them with a small pork butt thrown in after its been seared on a hot grill. I also add plenty of jalapeño, onion, garlic, cumin, cilantro, etc. but no tomatoes. It's not a big thing in NM cooking. Green chile in NM is either a sauce made with pork and chiles or a full blown stew with potatoes, onions. The green color is because there is a whole pile of diced up chiles added. Red chile is the same pepper as the green, but they let it ripen fully and then sun dry them. When I cook red chile, I reconstitute the dried chiles in warm water, add broth, cook with onions, then puree. Then I slow cook with lots of cubed beef, and cumin. Let it cook down and get the beef good and tender. I thicken with corn meal, add garlic, more cumin, cilantro, and a little lime. Both versions have lots of chile and will leave your innards aglow quite nicely.
I had this Green Chili Cheeseburger at a 50s Diner on the 66 coming out of Albuquerque. My head exploded :lol: Man, was it good after my mouth went numb.......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

here's mine
http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... 74&t=52908

Mexico chile is adobada (carnitas en chile colorado o en chile adobo). I live in s. Texas - I'm a connoisseur of taquerias.

I get really mad when the local Willie's Ice House claims to have fresh Hatch green chiles but they've turned them into a liquid sauce just like they came out of a can.

Best fresh Hatch green chile burger I've had is at the Boxcar Cafe in Chama, NM

superchicken, did you ever post on JR Cigars or Cigar Weekly forums?
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

bulldog1935 wrote:here's mine
http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... 74&t=52908

Mexico chile is adobada (carnitas en chile colorado o en chile adobo). I live in s. Texas - I'm a connoisseur of taquerias.

I get really mad when the local Willie's Ice House claims to have fresh Hatch green chiles but they've turned them into a liquid sauce just like they came out of a can.

Best fresh Hatch green chile burger I've had is at the Boxcar Cafe in Chama, NM

superchicken, did you ever post on JR Cigars or Cigar Weekly forums?
Both look really good. My favorite restaurants in Texas are those where the menu is in Spanish and none of the staff habla engles. I hunted elk up around Chama about 15 years ago, but never went to the Boxcar Cafe. Dick's Cafe in Las Cruces does a pretty good green chile cheeseburger and the little bar in Carrizozo use to do a great one before they closed up. Everyone seems to like the Owl Cafe in San Antonio, NM but...meh. As for chile, Seraphin's on Central in ABQ is a darned good one. There are lots more.

Sorry, I don't smoke cigars.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

most of my work is out of Corpus, and I travel there a lot, plus fish and kayak the coast flats.
Corpus is the breakfast taco capital of the world

coming back from a kayak trip one Monday afternoon, hunger caused my buddy I to tuck into Beeville from the bypass.
almost 3 pm on a Monday afternoon the parking lot of a tacqueria was full. We stopped, and it was first rate.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-vallar ... 6-beeville
If you ever get to Houston by the Galleria, don't drive past Ruchi's
http://ruchistaqueria.com/

if you ever make it to San Antonio (TX), this is the place (a few blocks from my office)
http://www.guajillos.com/
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

I live just west of the breakfast taco/burrito divide, but I indulge in the tacos every time I have to go to Austin. There's a little gas station/convenience store down there on the east end of William Cannon that makes awesome breakfast tacos with that pureed jalapeno salsa. Awesome stuff. Back when they started, they put up a cardboard wall to make a kitchen on one end of the store, but since then they've apparently done well enough to put up a real wall. Out here, there is no such thing as a breakfast taco.

I've seen some youtube videos of kyak fishing off the TX coast. Looks really fun, but I am about 9 hours from the coast so I don't get down there very often. I'd like to have a kyak, but am more of a canoe person. Easier to throw in a dog, a shotgun, a pile of decoys, the wife, and the daughter. It's a thought though, my wife tend to prefer to drive for herself on the water. She still holds a wreck on the Cloquet River in MN against me even though it happened almost 10 years ago. Women never forget. :roll:
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

By the way, I had dinner at Guajillos about 2 years ago when I was down there for a meeting. Great place.