Browning 1895.......?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Browning 1895.......?

Post by .45colt »

Hello All, I recently sold off some of my mid bore levers. every where I go I see lots of reasonable 30-06 ammo. haven't had an '06 in years.
I'm interested in a Browning 1895. for those with experience with the 1895 guns, do they have any mechanical weak points ? I can never,never remember any one reporting a problem with the design .even on the old Winchesters. not thinking of the new Winnie with the tang safety. don't want a bolt gun. Thanks in Advance Guys.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning 1895.......?

Post by Pete44ru »

I hunted with a .30-06 Winchester/Miroku Model 1895 for a few years, that turned out to have only a single issue, for me.

My issue was that I found the rifle (not the chambering) limiting, range-wise, with a cartridge (.30-06) that is very effective at distances beyond my iron/open sight capabilities. (YMMV)

I was more comfortable shooting/hunting with the same rifle, however, chambered in .405Win - go figure.

Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

At one time I worked up some pressure data for rounds for a M95. I found that once you pushed past ~55KSI the brass started to stretch more so than if you stayed at or below those pressures. The gun can certainly handle (contain) higher pressures but if you are consistantly stretching brass, you are also stretching other things that do not bode well for longevity, IMO. Factory 30-06 pressures rarely exceed those pressures by much if at all so that cartridge is not overdoing the design. If you handload, stick with those pressures and don't go for the max. As mentioned, you are limited by the sighting equipment rather than power, so there is no point in trying to stretch it into a long range magnum. Other than that, the Browning is as smooth as silk and easy to shoot well. Mine is chambered in 30-40 so I have no stretch issues at all.

As an aside there is another "reality" show on one of the critter channels that has (again) folks in Alaska. One guy hunts with an old M95. One of the lead in teasers show him ejecting a cartridge and from the looks of it, it appears to be a 35 Win. At least he well equipped.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The 06 in even budget price ammo, loaded in 150, 180 and 220 grn bullets will cover all North American game. The 220 grn has successfully taken elephant, along with all African game. Hornanday loads a SUPERFORMANCE round that will put you into .300 MAG country for long range elk. Some famous gun scribe once said that "the 30-06 is never a mistake, or bad choice, or something like that. If you know what you are doing, a 1895 in 30-06 will do it all. For long range elk, you might want to consider some type of scout scope set up on your model 1895. 8)
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Buy it. Shoot it. When you get bored with it, convert it to .35 Whelen. I did that to mine So I could shoot 250 gr bullets. I may buy another one in '06 if I come across it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Mine shoots great. I have no problems with it at all and think they have excellent balance. I would give it a go.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Some thoughts on the 1895 from a couple of folks here in these links :

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/model_1895.htm

http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2 ... rifle.html
Phil
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've been collecting Winchester '95s for many years. The only one I've had that didn't work had been so abused and
neglected I sold it off for parts.
I have had them in just about every caliber except .303 Brit. ( My Holy Grail) all have been
great shooters.
My first '95 is an SRC in .30-'06, shot my first deer with it and will always be my favorite.
It's had a LOT of use and if I load more than three rounds it won't feed the second shot.
Learned to live with it. The '95s that I have seem to work better with rimmed cartridges.

Browning / Miroku are totally different animals. Every one I've had has fed flawlessly.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have a Browning 1895 in .30-40 Krag. I mounted one of those Providence Tool Co. copies of the Lyman 21 receiver sight on it. It is a pleasure to hunt with. I've killed four Blacktail bucks with it, and only needed one shot each time.
I also have the newer Winchester tang safety version in .405. It has stiff recoil and is probably too much gun for deer. A Browning in '06 would have been a better choice.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have one of the Miroku Winchester 95 carbines in 30/06 and is one of my favorite hunting guns.Classic all the way
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thank You ALL, I have several levers that cover all of the "sporting stuff" but no matter where I go I keep seeing '06 ammo cheap. Jim.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

My Browning '95 '06 has served for many years. With a change to a tang sight and front blade, I have several game shots from 185 to 235 measured yards. With the sight upgrade and handloads, it will bench well under 3" at 200 yards. Love mine.