The 26 Yard Hunting Zero.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

The 26 Yard Hunting Zero.

Post by cshold »

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: The 26 Yard Hunting Zero.

Post by Old Savage »

Everything I have Is zeroed 2.5 to 3 in high at 100 yds. I will say you should shoot different loads at 200 and 300 yds also if you can. We found quite a variance in performance with the best at 100 not necessarily the best at 200 or 300 depending on the bullet.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have a chart from a gun mag way back that lists point-blank range for about a hundred or so calibers and bullet combinations with terminal velocities and energy for those ranges. Published in the 80s I suppose. Remember those?

Until I read this article, I thought it was standard operating procedure and everyone does it this way. No?

Point-blank range works with hunting hand guns too, but in a compressed scale. I still used 25 yards for elevation when sighting in.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You just have to emphasize to people NOT to sight in at 25-26 yards, then ASSUME they will be ok way out there. A 1/4" error at 25 yards in where the impact is translates into a 2" error at 200 yards, and I'm betting few shooters get even that close to their 'real' trajectory. In addition, a 1/4" error in how high the sights are will double the above error, so be sure to measure sight height and group center very precisely; you will need very tiny cloverleaf-type groups at 25 yards for this to work, too.

However, it IS a quick way to get 'on paper' if you take into account sight height (very critical - low mounted sights decrease the point-blank range you have to work with). Then like Old Savage says, you can sight in at 100 yards to be 2.5" high or whatever. When you have a 1/4" error on paper at 100 yards, it is only a 1/2" error at 200 yards. Then ideally, get somewhere that you can shoot 300 or 400 yards. Once you are 'on' (say 3" low at 300 yards) out there, then that small error is practically eliminated as you march back to the closer distances. 1/4" off at 300 yards is 1/16" off at 75 yards.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've always heard the old stories about how a 25yd zero will translate to being 'on' at 100yds.

IME, it's a LOOSE rule of thumb to get on paper and will result in 'minute-of-deer' at 100yds. As Doc AJ pointed out, it's really dependent on the trajectory of the specific round. Works OK with the .30-06.

I don't know that I'd bet a once in lifetime shot on it unless it was a matter of (my) life or death.

Personally, I never leave the range when sighting in without a group of 'X's' at a known selected range or a solid group at a proven MPB.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

The writer of that article sounds young to me.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:? Every gun (even those of the same caliber) is a rule unto itself as to the impact point if sighted dead on at 25-26 yards. The only way to know what yours will do is to shoot it at different distances and find out.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Best learning experience I ever, ever had was at the Friends of Billy Dixon Range in CO years ago. We (my best friend and I) were the first to visit it from the general public. We spent the first day shooting loads from 100 yards to 800 yards or so and charting site settings at these different ranges and recording data. It was the best shooting experience of my life for sure! Regards, -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

This is a good graph that shows what the writer was writing about. He needs to go back to school and take up a different vocation, writing truthfully about guns isn't working for him...

PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

This one has been around for awhile: http://www.modeerhunter.com/stories/zero.aspx

It was handy to be able to zero a couple of 30/30's in the back yard. Make sure to measure your sight height above the bore axis and enter that in your ballistics calculator (if'n yer usin' one).
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

PriseDeFer wrote:This one has been around for awhile: http://www.modeerhunter.com/stories/zero.aspx

It was handy to be able to zero a couple of 30/30's in the back yard. Make sure to measure your sight height above the bore axis and enter that in your ballistics calculator (if'n yer usin' one).
Good read 8)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Over the years, and with quite a few .30-30s, I've found this trajectory chart to be fairly accurate.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Lately I put the bottom of the group on the front sight or slightly above. My levers are sighted this way for 100 paces, my 22s at 50 paces, and air rifles 20 paces.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Shrapnel wrote:This is a good graph that shows what the writer was writing about. He needs to go back to school and take up a different vocation, writing truthfully about guns isn't working for him...

:lol: :lol: Stephen Hawking could not have done better.... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

25M zero is how we do it at work. I use it at home also on every rifle to get in the ballpark, then move to the 100 and set it where I want it for the specific rifle. Playing around with various rifles and a ballistics calculator it's interesting how often a 25M zero results in being within a 1/2" or so of a 100 yard zero. Things change at a much different rate after that based on cartridge and BC, so often the 100 yard zero will be changed, but the 25/100 so far has been fairly consistent. If all I had time to do was a 25M zero I would be fairly confident of getting a hit at 100 and 200.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30