New (to me) Marlin 444S reborn

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

New (to me) Marlin 444S reborn

Post by vancelw »

Recently acquired this. Mostly done, but still need to recrown the barrel and figure out what chemical was under the scope base so I can remove it without taking the finish off. I've tried gun cleaner, WD-40, Goof-off, Varnish remover...Only thing that fazed it was a thinner I have for epoxy paints...but it was also removing the matte black off the top of the receiver, so I stopped before I ruined the bluing.
I installed new front sight, saddle ring safety delete, refinished stock set with wipe-on polyurethane, and replaced scope with Williams FP. Decided against replacing the white spacers.
DSCN1235_zpsdmcqggo0.jpg
After 4 LG.jpg
DSCN1236_zpsmzxv0ahh.jpg
After 7 LG.jpg
DSCN1251_zpsqaajx1hp.jpg
After 1 LG.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: New (to me) Marlin 444S reborn

Post by Pisgah »

May be AcraGlas or something similar. What has worked for me it to apply some heat --often just a butane lighter is enough,but a handheld propane torch is quicker -- to soften the stuff, then scrape off with an improvised wooden scraper.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

May be AcraGlas or something similar. What has worked for me it to apply some heat --often just a butane lighter is enough,but a handheld propane torch is quicker -- to soften the stuff, then scrape off with an improvised wooden scraper.

Nice job so far!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Pisgah wrote:May be AcraGlas or something similar. What has worked for me it to apply some heat --often just a butane lighter is enough,but a handheld propane torch is quicker -- to soften the stuff, then scrape off with an improvised wooden scraper.

Nice job so far!
I actually did consider trying the hair dryer last night but got side-tracked when my last solvent attempt starting removing finish :shock: I may give it a try and move up to the propane torch if it fails. Probably disassemble it to avoid any chance of marring the wood.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Beautiful gun there under the wear and tear. Thanks for restoring it, and for sharing its story.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I would suggest trying an old trick, learned from experience, first.

Cut a wooden popsicle stick or tongue depressor at a 45-degree angle with a razor blade or a sharp wood chisel, then use it to simply scrape off what's most likely thread locker, with zero damage to the gun's finish.

This one's been cut straight across, in stead of @ a 45-degree angle:

plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Real good job
Notta thing wrong with the spacer goes good with the darker finish, I always go with darker finish, just don't care for lighter wood, stained my new wood las nite with dark walnut, started with tung oil 2day
Like I said real good job

PLOWBOY
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I actually didn't darken that finish. (I usually like it darker, as well) I simply stripped it and then refinished it. I was pleased it darkened so well. The original finish came of really easy. The only problem was the places where the finish had worn off. The wood was water stained under that, so I had to strip and steel wool and sand until the water stains faded. I try to use sandpaper very sparingly if I can.

I'll try the popsickle stick. Should be some around here somewhere. I tried acetone, which I had heard would remove dried loctite. I even tried brake cleaner. The residue had a varnish type appearance, but I was not lucky enough for that to be the case. It also had a whitish appearance. The sun is out today (Woo Hoo!) so I may see if I can get a photo of it. One of you might recognize what it is.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Looking good, Vance. Keep up the good work.

Two days now without rain and by weekend I should be caught up with farm chores and ready to burn some powder. Can you get to the highway without a boat yet?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If it shoots as good as it looks, you'll be all set. 8)
NRA Life Member
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very nice Vance, I have My 1895 45-70 set up that way. the older I get the more Marlin's seem to multiply here.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Water is the universal solvent, I try it first. A "whitish" appearance sounds like super glue. Try some nitro methane from your hobby shop, but DON'T SMOKE or use FLAME while using this stuff! Use with a "Q" tip and scrub in a small circle, be patient this stuff usually works when nothing else will, and remember HIGHLY. FLAMMABLE, BEE CAREFUL!!!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Alcohol is a good solvent on occasion, not rubbing alcohol but ever clear, or the good stuff from Mexico made from cane. I would wipe well with water in between different solvents so as not to contaminate the area with five solvents at once :shock:
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

If you would like some help, I could shoot it and carry it around hunting for a few years and let you know how it works out. Just box it up and send it up here. Always glad to be of assistance.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I probably never would have thought of water....against my nature to try it on a gun. But if all else fails.
I usually try denatured alcohol first, but being a gun, I tried gun solvent first.
My epoxy thinner was taking it off.....but :shock:

I just got in from work so I guess I can get it out and try a few more things. Not sure if we have any super glue remover around here. Wife used to keep it around, but I don't think she has used fake claws in years.

As soon as it dries out enough I can get to my target, I'll sight this thing in. I have a couple of boxes of Hornady Superformance and plenty of bullets. I managed to find 24 pieces of brass, so I'll have 60+ once I shoot up the factory stuff.

Installing that front sight was so easy it scares me. I just zip-tied the ramp on and then eyeballed it until I got it where I wanted it. Then used a transfer punch on the front hole. Once I got it D&T'd and a screw installed, then I did the back hole. Now I have a 6-48 bottom tap and a #31 drill bit and will probably never need them again. But somehow I think they will come in handy again (If the brass gremlins don't eat drill and taps, too)
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Vance, that is darn nice work you did my friend. I am thinking it is a form of Locktite and you just need some heat to release it, but you will figure it out. Regards, -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Yes sir, you did an excellent job on it.
16 inch barrel?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The barrel was already cut, I'm assuming to remove the porting. But it does need a decent crown. Gotta be careful since it's 16.5" to the bolt face and 16" out of the receiver.