Next Puchase: Gun mount Chrono!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Next Puchase: Gun mount Chrono!

Post by JohndeFresno »

Saving up my pennies, hope to have this by the end of the year.

Several of you are blessed with surroundings where you don't have to deal with the next guy in line, waiting for that crowded and busy rifle range slot. Not for this urban based former mountain boy. I love my little Chrony Chronograph, and it served me well until the rifle range got to be too crowded for me to jump out in front of the firing line to set it up. I could only use it regularly at a friend's farm, and then just to run the muzzle velocity numbers without combining an accuracy check at distance due to the limited area where I could fire my handloads.

And the photocell technology of the Chrony does have a little trouble in certain lighting and atmospheric conditions.

Enter the new technology!

The Magneto Chrono - I saw a writeup in this month's (American Rifleman magazine - wrong) CORRECTED - Shooting Times magazine (July 2015), and then found a great article here:
http://www.realguns.com/articles/391.htm

Here is a partial description online at MidwayUSA.com:
MagnetoSpeed V3 Ballistic Chronograph
Product #: 628777 MagnetoSpeed #: MS V3 UPC #: 855036004023

$380.00
The MagnetoSpeed barrel-mounted, ballistic chronograph has brought modern convenience to the often tiresome task of measuring bullet velocities. The MagnetoSpeeed chronographs use ground breaking electromagnetic sensors, instead of problematic optical sensors, to eliminate common chronograph problems. Magnetospeed chronographs are swift to set up, accurate, impervious to light conditions, do not blow over in high winds and easily fit in a range bag. The display unit stores up to 99 shots per string, calculates useful velocity statistics and saves the data in a spreadsheet format to a micro SD card.

MagnetoSpeed V3 features an improved designed with the following features...[snip]

I'm pumped! Gotta get one.

EDITED - Shooting Times, not American Rifleman magazines, carried an article on this great innovation. JdeF
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sat May 23, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Next Puchase: Gun mount Chrono!

Post by CowboyTutt »

John, it looks interesting to be sure but what is the "Bayou" made of? It seems like muzzle blast would be a real problem on high pressure rifle and revolver rounds. Thanks for sharing! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Definitely interested in a Range Report on that... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

CowboyTutt, neither article mentions anything about a muzzle blast problem, so I would guess that the bayonet with its electromagnetic sensing unit is pretty tough. Apparently, it is some type of plastic or polymer material, because the sensing blade running down the bayonet is made from fiberglass per this article:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/0 ... ronograph/

I have looked over the various handloads, factory loads, and proposed loads in my MS Access database. If the unit even lasts about 100 loads, it will be worth it to me, since it has been a major hassle to chrono my loads at the range, where I also like to see their accuracy at the same time.

Doc, it may be a few months before I have the shekels saved up, but I will give a brief report when I have one. Meanwhile, the authors of the above cited articles did an excellent job in their reports, showing that this unit was consistently within just a couple of feet per second of their comparison Oehler chronograph. It looks like a real winner. And, since it works from the muzzle instead of 10 feet or so away from the barrel, you have the real muzzle velocity. See the charts!

John
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

John, I just "Googled" it myself, it is apparently the 3rd version of this product. Lots of reviews on You Tube but largely all favorable. Here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5IXXfuTCOc

The bayonet is made of circuit board material and the red part is fiberglass only, but it is not the sensing part. There is a small metal shield mounted on the unit to protect from muzzle blast. Properly positioned, that blast shield may be enough.

I have never been that impressed with the "Real Guns" guy as he just does weird stuff. Year ago, he took a perfectly fine CZ 550 in 375 H&H, "improved" the bedding, and was shooting 375 H&H loads that were so over the top hot based upon all the data I have on the 375 H&H and H&H AI from McPherson that I wouldn't let the guy work on my bicycle! I believe he eventually broke the stock on said rifle while mine is still going strong with the stock bedding and AI loads that are maxed out. He continues to use a product in ways not specified even in his review of this chronograph actually.

That being said, it does look like an accurate chronograph and when used properly it should hold up pretty well. I just would be careful when subjecting it to 454 Casull, 460 S&W, and 375 H&H AI loads with about 90 grains of slow burning powder and many other "super magnum" cartridges that I have no experience with.

Regards,

Your friend,

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

roughcreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by roughcreek »

I've used the original on heavy 7MM mag loads and
Super Blackhawk loads and worked fine. But it would
not read lead bullets. I understand the new one does.
I'll have to see if there is an upgrade. Too expensive
to just buy another.
Roughcreek
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thank you, CowboyTutt, for the more complete breakdown. I'm looking at a Marlin Guide Gun (lever) .45-70 for my heaviest rifle loads, and a reasonably stout (but never past max) series of .44 Mag and .45 Colt Blackhawk loads as the heaviest pistol loads in my arsenal, so I guess this equipment will be just the ticket for me.

I have dropped in on RealGuns several times, not steadily, so I appreciate the heads up!

Rough Creek, if you can click on the RealGuns link, you will see that with this V3 model you can adjust for different bullets, as per the test with a .45-70 lead bullet; and most dramatically the diminutive .22 LR bullet which had the most disparity until an adjustment was made for it.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Would not having that attached to the barrel affect accuracy ????

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Bronco wrote:Would not having that attached to the barrel affect accuracy ????

John
I guess, to some degree, given the fact that even bedding differences and resultant harmonics can change pinpoint precision. But I suspect that for initial sighting in of a potential handload, it will still be extremely useful. It sure looks like it fills the bill for ease and speed of use, portability, and reliability, irrespective of lighting and weather conditions.

Cowboy Tutt's discovered video link (above) is amazing - a collection of .22's that all registered, and eve a .223 fired in full auto mode. The device logged every shot!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

That thing hanging on the barrel has to have a major affect on accuracy and point of impact. May be great to get velocity readings but I like to check both velocity and accuracy at the same time.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I've given a lot of thought to the issue of accuracy and have landed on this:
1) The device is apparently simple to transport and put into use
2) Nobody on the range will be hampered with setups in front of the line
3) Tie on the bayonet chrono, take velocity readings of a string
4) Remove the device and shoot a string for accuracy (same loads)
- or, reverse order of #3 and #4 as it suits the tester.
Problem solved! Yup - I'm saving up for one starting now.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

This sounds very interesting. But the one question I have ( admittedly I didn't read all the articles ) is will it work on lever guns with full length tube magazines?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

J Miller wrote:...will it work on lever guns with full length tube magazines?
Joe
Certainement, Joe -
It has a long strap, and in fact there are photos showing side mount for sighting purposes and so on.

This photo is from the RealGuns.com site, showing how the curve in the bayonet allows for most sights; but it could be mounted horizontally or on the bottom to allow for sighting while you shoot, as shown in other photos.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

In the pic provided in the previous post, my only worry with the "Real Guns" mounting position is that the stainless steel shield included with the product intended to handle 50-60K muzzle blast with the metal shield, is no longer properly positioned to do its job, as the guy at "Real Gun's" tends to do. I guess he likes to shoot "gangster style" by twisting the chronograph sideways or mounting the unit upside down where the metal shield is no longer properly placed to handle muzzle blast.

I think it's a great product but I would contact the company directly for your personal application before purchasing it.

I hate to be a difficult person, but I would strongly question the advice of the guy from "Real Guns" and I would look towards the manufacturer for how to best use their product in your application.

Regards,

-Tutt

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

John,
Thanks. I'm not sure I like the idea of shooting like that, but if the idea is just to get a velocity reading it shouldn't be too bad.

Tutt,
Agree on contacting the manufacturer.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I met a fellow at a local outdoor range on Bureau of Land Management land that had one of those chronographs strapped to a Weatherby magnum rifle he used for elk hunting. He couldn't say enough good about it. He used it to measure velocity, and shot for groups without it mounted on the rifle.

He saw that I was using an Ohler 35P chronograph with the sky-screens and all, and commented on how much easier his chronograph was to use, and he was right. Then I pointed out to him the generous amount of bullet lube and residue the cast lead & black powder loads I was shooting from my Shiloh Sharps had deposited all over my skyscreens placed at 10 ft. from the muzzle, and we both had to wonder how all that ejected debris might affect a barrel mounted chronograph.

Still, it was a really neat and compact system that certainly does a great job for modern loads.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Bear in mind that this bayonet style chronograph, as written up by more than one source, emphasizes that the sensors must be placed as closely as possible to a prescribed .025 inch - only 1/4 inch - away from the path of the projectile. And spacers are included with the kit.

Pictured is a spacer bar used to ensure the proper gap of .025 inch.
So, at least this time, I believe that RealGuns has the right idea.