Ruger 44 spl Flat top

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Ruger 44 spl Flat top

Post by elmo123 »

Well I spoke too soon about the quality of my new Ruger. After only 150 rounds of Cowboy action loads the tip of the pawl broke off. I called Ruger and they sent me the wrong one first and after a second call they are supposed to be sending the right part. Has anyone else broken a pawl in Ruger?
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Ruger 44 spl Flat top

Post by remshooter »

yep .a couple of years ago bought new ruger .44 mag super black hawk ,at about the same round count as yours the pawl broke ,mine was stainless steel ,not sure if that has any beiring on anything
... I heard they were making that part MIM now ...on small parts ,that not a good thing ,glad I wasnt being mauled by a Grizzley at the time of the break
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

They are MIM parts and it broke right at the dimple. I was thinking of buying a Blackhawk in 30 carbine but I don't think I will.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have 3 blackhawks and have not experienced that , neither have the guys I shoot with. Like anything produced most defective parts fail right away. I don't buy extended warranties , the factory warranty goes long enough for defective parts to fail. But that is why I like Ruger, lifetime warranty and good service.
dbord130
Levergunner

Post by dbord130 »

Mine broke after 500 rounds. Ruger sent new one to my gun smith with in the week. all is well now.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I own somewhere around 35 Ruger single actions. I also use them in CAS and this is the first time I have ever heard of a broken Pawl. I wonder if there was just a bad batch that made its way into the production run? That said,I keep a spare parts box with a couple each of very internal part that are used in the Ruger SA revolver as I like to smith my own guns. There are hardly any simpler revolvers to work on anywhere than the Ruger SA.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

IN 60 YEARS OF SHOOTING RUGERS, I've never ever heard of the pawl breaking. On the other hand anything made by man is fallible and that is the way it is. You get it fixed and move on. AND not buying the next one because the last one broke something, ANYTHING, is downright silly.
YOU can also note it for the record that Ruger has NO written warrenty on any of their firearms.
And so it goes...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

This is the second new Ruger that I have bought in the last two years that has had issues. The first was a SR-22 that went back to have the barrel replaced, this drug on for six months after being sent two new magazines to try to see if it would correct the problem, it didn't. I don't have a problem with the warranty but after two lemons in a row I won't take a chance on getting a third. I also own numerous Ruger firearms that have been trouble free. They were all made within the past 25 years.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

First I've heard of pawls breaking, but obviously they break, and its not a completely isolated incident as several guys have experienced it. I've broken several transfer bars, it seems the most common problem if they are dry fired a lot.

I dont know how much MIM parts are part of the equation. Its not brand new technology, and seems to work pretty well for the most part. It may be Rugers start in the field that they are getting their process sorted out.

As for stainless VS blue internals, many of Ruger internals are the same for blue and stainless guns.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

I have not had a pawl break but I have had the transfer bar break in one of the 44 mag or 45 colt revolvers. The new one broke after only a few shots. Ruger sent me another and it has been years ago and has not broken, but it has not been shot all that much since.

hayabusa
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I never had or heard of that happening before, and I didn't know it was an MIM part, now days. However, I believe I did have a hammer break one time, several years ago.

As far as quality goes, Ruger has always been spotty on that. Get a good one and you are golden, usually. But plenty of them get out the door with issues. Unfortunately, most of the gun manufactures are using some MIM parts, these days, and it's not for our benefit.
NRA Life Member, Patron
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I have a few S&W handguns that have mim parts and have not had any problems and I noticed that on the S&W parts the mark for the hole in the mold is raised and on this part it is a depression which is where my part broke.