Winchester M12 Help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester M12 Help

Post by mack »

I know this isn't a lever gun question, but it is almost, sort of overlaps... Forgive me if I have wandered too far.
Any Mod 12 mechanics out there???
Working on a pre '40 heavy duck gun, 3"chamber 32"bbl 12ga. Slick and shiny inside, good blue color and nice but plain wood, recoil pad is not yucky but old.
The issue is, real slick action... except for a bit of a hitch as the action starts to close. Not just the normal lifter cam and ejector resistance as the the bolt starts forward, but a bit of a hump or forward ridge, (for lack of a better description).
The cam surface under the bolt looks clean with a smooth radius. The lifter surface also looks slick with minimum wear. (Don't get me wrong, the old girl is super shootable as she is.)
I grew up on Mod 12s and '97s,( yes I could slam fire a double on pigeons), but this is my first 3" Mod 12 and not sure if this is normal due to the longer bolt stroke or not?
Also my 19 yr. old son just discovered that my 101 fits him, I may need support group help on loosing that one!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester M12 Help

Post by M. M. Wright »

I too grew up on model 12s but Dad's was a 16 which I still have. I can't imagine what your problem is but someone will be along soon to tell you.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have 12 and 20 ga. Mod. 12's , never had a 3". It sounds like you have checked it out quite good. I wish I could do the same. Without hands on,I have not the vaguest guess. I assume you have used several different brands of ammo in those tests.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I have M12s and have been monkey wrenching on them for almost 50 years, but I have never experienced anything like you are describing.
I haven't worked on a 3" gun, so I don't know if there is a quirk with the action or not. It could be a function of the bolt being longer and having less leverage to close the action.

If you get too spooked about it, send it to me and I will provide a place where it will be safe from the stigma of being a defective M12! It would feel right at home with my 12, 16, and 20 gauge M12s. :lol: :lol:
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Well I had a chance to try out its sibling, one year newer and a custom order from Winchester. It had the same little hitch, not quite as pronounced but still there. I think it must be due to the slight bolt/stroke difference from the 2 3/4 inch guns.
Anyways I going to run with it.
geobru, don't get your hopes up, you won't get it! This old girl belonged to a very dear old friend who I spent many a day with in a duck blind and a gunning float when I was young. His son saw to it that she came to me. (he has the custom order one)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You might try calling Brownells. They have a team of experienced gunsmiths to help people with problems such as your's.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I have a Model 12 3" Duck Gun and the action works as slick as any other Model 12, so it doesn't sound normal to me.