Question on Unerti model '73 short rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Question on Unerti model '73 short rifle

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Guys,
I am thinking of getting one of these (in .44 WCF of course), and just had a question about whether the front sight as it comes is a straight blade or whether it is a bead.
I would very much prefer a bead, and I can't tell from photos.
also when they say it is a short rifle, does this mean that the buttstock is rifle length not short like a carbine? I have trouble seeing the rear sights on my Rossi because they are now too close to my eyes. I can fix the Rossi with a peep sight, but I wouldnt be able to bring myself to have anything except a tang aperture sight on the '73, and I am not completely excited about them. I would want to shoot it as it is.
Yes, I am fussing and I havn't even bought it yet...
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Re: Question on Unerti model '73 short rifle

Post by Leverluver »

Some semi-custom models may have a large bead for the CAS game but most come with a blade. Short rifle has the same stock as the rifle and the rear sight is pretty much the same. The only difference is the barrel is 20" instead of 24" on the full length rifle.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks for that.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Front sights on my 73 SRs are blades.. Rear sights are closer to the receiver than on 'standard' sporting rifles..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Carlsen Highway wrote: also when they say it is a short rifle, does this mean that the buttstock is rifle length not short like a carbine?

. I can fix the Rossi with a peep sight, but I wouldnt be able to bring myself to have anything except a tang aperture sight on the '73,
The length of pull should be about the same if carbine or rifle.

All it takes is a drill and tap to install any decent sight. :D
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Buck Elliott wrote:Front sights on my 73 SRs are blades.. Rear sights are closer to the receiver than on 'standard' sporting rifles..
Same as Buck's on my 18" Short Rifle & 24" Standard Rifle.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I got the 20 inch mostly because I like the balance better then the 24 inch rifle, and I couldn't see the sights as well on the shorter carbines then 20", mostly because the front sight filled up the rear notch too tightly in 16 inch versions I looked at. Mine is a Cimarron by Uberti.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

I am leaning the same way for the same reasons...
Mark Twain
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I have an EMF Uberti 73 short rifle an 44-40...
It came with the shorter ramp sight with no bead, and a semi buckhorn rear sight..
crescent butt, nice wood and case colored....
My only complaints are that they have a pretty heavy trigger and the front sight without a bead
is now pretty hard to see with my old eyes...
I need to add a small drop of fluorescent nail polish on the front ramp site..
or just change it out...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My 2014 "Border Rifle" from Taylor's & Sons... 18" ½-Round/½-Octagon, holds 10 45 Colts easily. I put the "wire" type lever & carrier springs in it... Much easier to cycle, and with the trigger block safety spring also replaced with a lighter version, much, much easier to close the action...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Woah, that is a handsome rifle...
Mark Twain
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

@ Griff: Nice looking set up with the 1/2 rd 1/2 oct barrel! I have a question for you regarding the trigger and the protruding pin behind it which allows the trigger only to be pulled when the lever pushes up on it. On my 73, I feel that I have to squeeze up on the lever so that the trigger will release, but in doing so, my concentration shifts from sights and target to the task of lever squeezing. Is there a remedy for that? I'm sure that I'm not the first 73 shooter who has complained about this. Thanks.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

That is the last picture Griff put up. Greatly reduces the "squeeze" required.

Off topic some, but Griff, does the round of the HRHO taper or is it straight after it goes round? How does it look to you? I'm still contemplating doing a HRHO on a shortened 76 barrel. I like tapered but once the the oct is turned down enough to get rid of the flats, there isn't much meat left to taper and have enough for a front sight dovetail. If yours is straight round all the way, just wonder how it looks.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Got it! Overlooked that part.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have the 24" and the wife has a 20", both have a blade sight, no bead. I use a Marbles tang sight on mine and shoot with the aperture removed. Just sight through the threads. On this SASS rifle, (44-40) I shoot black powder and love it. No short stroke but springs changed on both to allow fully closing the lever without thinking about it.

I will say that I have seen and handled the half octagon and boy, it feels good!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS