Question For NRA Lever Action Rifle Silhouette Shooters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Question For NRA Lever Action Rifle Silhouette Shooters

Post by Shasta »

How are tied scores decided at the local matches you attend?

As a match director, if time allows, I stage a shoot-off for the overall match winner per NRA Rifle Silhouette Rule Book chapter 15.3(a). Rule 15.3(b) allows for alternate methods for tie-breaking, so for the class winners (B, A, AA, AAA, or Master) I use a reverse animal count of the scores shot during the match, starting with the animal that NRA would have required to be used in a shoot-off for that class (Master & AAA use Turkeys, AA shooters use Rams, A shooters use Chickens, B shooters use Pigs).

The reason I am asking this question is that at our club's Cowboy Lever Action Rifle Silhouette match today, I was tied with another shooter for AAA class winner. He got more Rams, but I got more Turkeys, and so since it was AAA class, which would have required a shoot-off on Turkeys, I gave myself first and he got second. He seemed to question my decision during the awards given after the match, but I explained my use of the NRA rules and got a "Well, OK", but I don't think he was happy about me putting myself ahead of him. Time did not allow for a shoot-off, and there was no prize at stake other than a small class winner pin and the ability to say you won the class. I would have made the same decision even if I had not been personally involved, but I felt bad that anyone would think I had mandated the rules to put myself first. Maybe I should have just gone with a coin toss...

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Re: Question For NRA Lever Action Rifle Silhouette Shooters

Post by gundownunder »

Turkeys are usually the target that sorts the men from the boys, so if you got more turkeys you probably were the best shooter on the day. However, the winner is the one with the highest score for the overall match, irrespective of individual targets. If the NRA rules mandate a shootoff, he will forever be able to claim that he was robbed because he wasn't given the opportunity to prove he was better.

Just as an example, last shoot I did absolute rubbish on everything, including pigs, which are usually easy, but I hammered 8 turkeys instead of my usual 3 to 5. It was a fluke, and if I beat anybody on the day that was a fluke too.

If you believe he has a grievance, contact him and offer him a shootoff at the next shoot and update the score retrospectively. Whether he wins, loses, or declines the offer, you will have proven yourself to be a fair man.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Usually there is a tie-breaking rule published in the match announcement such as "Ties will be broken by shootoffs on the turkeys. If there is no shootoff, ties will be broken by turkey count, if that is tied, then ram count, then chickens, then pigs."
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

The way we and the other matches in our area resolve ties is reverse animal count. IE, the most rams wins, if still tied the most turkeys wins, etc. This is outlined in our written program so everyone is aware.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

jnyork wrote:Usually there is a tie-breaking rule published in the match announcement such as "Ties will be broken by shootoffs on the turkeys. If there is no shootoff, ties will be broken by turkey count, if that is tied, then ram count, then chickens, then pigs."

This is how we do it also. Getting upset about the results of a "game" when no more money is involved is one of the reasons I stopped competing on a regular basis.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

jdad wrote:
jnyork wrote:Usually there is a tie-breaking rule published in the match announcement such as "Ties will be broken by shootoffs on the turkeys. If there is no shootoff, ties will be broken by turkey count, if that is tied, then ram count, then chickens, then pigs."

This is how we do it also. Getting upset about the results of a "game" when no more money is involved is one of the reasons I stopped competing on a regular basis.

Same here, I have completely quit going to NRA matches, too many prima donnas and too many rules Nazis. Our club matches are friendly, easy going, no rules to speak of.
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

jnyork wrote:
jdad wrote:

Same here, I have completely quit going to NRA matches, too many prima donnas and too many rules Nazis. Our club matches are friendly, easy going, no rules to speak of.
We have been fortunate. There is a match, one of which I am match director, every Saturday in our area from April through September and there has been no grumbling about results, pay outs or any rules nazis. Well at least none that are real. :) There is a lot of good natured bantering and trash talking amongst each other though. All in all fun is had by all!
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Having only gotten to shoot in one NRA Cowboy Silhouette Match, and that one was blown out by high winds thunderstorms, I don't have any practical information on how ties were broken. I do however, have an opinion.

Either using the animal used for tie breaker shoot-offs or reverse animal count makes sense if there isn't time for a shoot-off. However, having the methodology announced before hand would eliminate any potential for hard feelings... or at least minimize them. If not announced prior, and had it been me, I would have for-gone the "win" and let the other guy have his day. Many years ago, at a big match @ Raton, we had a side match that was a "trail-walk" event, targets set at unknown ranges, on both sides of a trail, often not visible until one were right upon the "alley" where the target was set back from the trail. The fellar set it up in secret, excluded himself from the competition and asked for a volunteer to run... I did, if I could also shoot it. So I was the first thru the course with him as the "Range Officer" and it was my first look at the course of fire. It was a timed event with seconds added for each target missed. I then ran each of the other competitor's thru the course, except the guy right after me. I won. But... many folks, especially those that shot later in the day grumbled that I "must" have had a clear advantage because I walked it so many times... not knowing that I was just like them... the first time I saw the course was when I fired it. Been over 20 years, and it still rankles me that some folks just have to take offense or make excuses... Interestingly, the top 3 shooters on the course were the 1st three thru it. We 3 all know what conditions we shot under, but some folks just won't be pleased.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!