Why suffer publicly. Use the Friends and Foes feature, OK?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Why suffer publicly. Use the Friends and Foes feature, OK?

Post by GoatGuy »

This probably isn't going to be received well by some here, but I'm going to have my say on the subject.

There are members here who take exception to the rare/occasional comments of others whose opinions may seem to be abrupt, dogmatic and/or rude. Oh, mercy me! One member in particular obviously ruffles some delicate feathers, but so what! Perhaps one needs to be a old "mossback" instead of a personally injured victim whose feelings are easily bruised. A few here,...very few..., post stuff I consider either naive, "post building", inappropriate, redundant or sophomoric, again so what! If I don't like something I don't read it, ...or do read it and just complain to myself from the comfort of my desk chair. :wink:

Here's a recommendation. For those who can't seem to accept a member's comments/opinions/irrelevant topics, etc., merely go to the User Control Panel at the upper right hand corner of the page, click on it, follow that page to the Options block at the left side of that page. At the bottom of Options panel click on Friends & Foes follow the directions there and insure you will never have to be subjected to the "indignities" of an offensive member's posts ever, ever again. I've personally never used that offered feature, as I choose to use my grown-up option of reading/not reading something posted, then b----ing to myself and moving on with my life. Seems easy enough for me.

Finally, in my not so humble opinion there is nothing good coming out of the blatant gaggle of "me too" posts when someone else takes exception to a fellow members "oh so offensive" reply to a posted question/comment! Why join a retaliatory series of "me too" comments against one of our brother levergunners. That seems foolish, juvenile and serves no real purpose in the grand scheme of things.

Oh, sorry - since I have the floor, what internet Nazi first made the rule that "typing in all caps is SCREAMING, and therefore is VERBOTEN!" I see that horse scat "rule" spouted as holy writ on several other internet sites. Get a life, says I.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Why suffer publicly. Use the Friends and Foes feature, O

Post by mikld »

I nominate Goatguy for supreme leader, keeper of the moral attitude, and director of thoughts and opinions here on Leverguns! :mrgreen:

Thank you for showing us dolts your superior thinking... :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

GoatGuy wrote: Oh, sorry - since I have the floor, what internet Nazi first made the rule that "typing in all caps is SCREAMING, and therefore is VERBOTEN!" I see that horse scat "rule" spouted as holy writ on several other internet sites. Get a life, says I.
Probably someone who thought that they should be in charge of net etiquette. You know the type, the ones who suggest using the Friend & Foe button. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm sorry you feel that way. NOT! :P

BTW, all caps is NOT "screamin'", it's "yellin'"... A distinct difference in understandability. "Screamin'" is when you put your all caps comment in BOLD lettering. :wink: :D :D Go ahead, "unfriend" me... my sensitive ego can handle a little more bruisin'! :twisted: :twisted:

Probably done by that guy that invented the internet... you know that Al Gore dweeb! :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The "all caps is yelling" has been etiquette since before most people ever heard of the internet, arpanet, chat rooms, or bulletin boards. To me, being offended by that is like going to the gun range for your very first time and walking over to another shooters bench and coon fingering his gun while he's downrange. He comes back and tell you nicely that that is not the proper way to do things, and you ask, "what gun range Nazi made that silly rule up?" Newbies can learn from old heads, no matter what the subject matter is.

But some people can't see as well so they use all caps. I find it harder, not easier to read. Show someone how to use a larger font or a lesser screen resolution or larger monitor to help them see.

If I ruffled any feathers explaining where that the all caps is yelling has been around (30 or 40 years? ) then you're awful thin-skinned (aimed at no one in particular).

Some people who join this forum don't realize that alot of us have personally met 2 or 3 or 5 dozen leverguns members. Those who have met often jab at one another in jest and a person who is unaware might think they are really mad at one another or decide to dog pile on one and then wonder why all parties turn on him :D (obligatory smiley emoticon added)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I don't like censorship even when it benefits me or my opinions. Thanks for the advice on blocking but I prefer to read stuff from forum members even when I disagree.

I do find the direction of some threads troubling. My two favorite forums are prone to a hint of petty bickering. However I am hardly lilly white in this regard myself.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

jeepnik wrote:
GoatGuy wrote: Oh, sorry - since I have the floor, what internet Nazi first made the rule that "typing in all caps is SCREAMING, and therefore is VERBOTEN!" I see that horse scat "rule" spouted as holy writ on several other internet sites. Get a life, says I.
Probably someone who thought that they should be in charge of net etiquette. You know the type, the ones who suggest using the Friend & Foe button. :mrgreen:
jeepnik, did I accidentally step on your toes? Sorry about that.

What, you did not think the Friend or Foe option was a capital recommendation? My recommendation was merely that, a recommendation. Just trying to help. You know, merely my humble effort in assisting to eliminate unnecessary bandwidth usage for the site by using the FRIEND OR FOE BUTTON :wink:

...THINK I SHOULD BE IN CHARGE OF NET ETIQUETTE, as you obliquely imply? Wouldn't have the job, 'cause (1) I hate arbitrary rules and (2) the pay sucks! Nor for that matter any other kind of etiquette as I'm not very very etiquette savvy. My friends and family will attest to that.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I believe the poster in question often shows great experience and knowledge, with a list as long as yer arm of accomplishments to boot. Never had a problem with his posts if I could filter through the rant/demeaning/insulting portion of the posts. But a jerk with a Phd is still a jerk...
Mike
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Wow, I wrote in the opening of this post, "This probably isn't going to be received well by some here, ..." Little did I know how prescient that statement was. And I see most all of the "usual suspects" have responded somewhat in opposition to my comments.

I do note that you folks mostly take me to task for the CAPITAL comments so far. Expected to also read of my negative, near blasphemous comment regarding denigrating the practice of adding a "me too" to snippy responses directed to the posts of our esteemed Elder, Mr. Terry Murbach. Oooops, should have used an alias there. Oh well, as he's most often the recipient of such "outrage", guess there's no sense in being obtuse about whom I was referencing with that bit of my post.

I also note no current kickback on my comments of the "sensitivity" exhibited by those unfortunates so shabbily treated by the "Elder", and the concurrent need for rabid, unprovoked attacks on said Elder, ostensibly on behalf of said unfortunates by others of this brotherhood.

Guess I'll have to stay tuned for attacks, either snarky or direct, on my positions and opinions as stated in my original post. I would apologize for my posted commentary, but don't think I will. This is way too much fun. And I'm not a troll :lol:

Says vancelw - "Newbies can learn from old heads, no matter (what) the subject matter (is)."

No newbie here, kiddo, and I suppose at 73 I'm one of the oldest fools on this site. And sorry, as old as I am, as lettered as I am and as many "rodeos" in which I've been involved, this is the first I've ever been told that all caps is considered yellin' and has been recognized so since the beginning of time. I call B.S.

Says vancielw- "To me, being offended by that is like going to the gun range for your very first time and walking over to another shooter's bench and coon fingering his gun while he's downrange. He comes back and tell you nicely that (that) is not the proper way to do things, and you ask, "what gun range Nazi made that silly rule up?"

Sorry pal, but that is one of the most ridiculous, foolish analogies I've ever read in reply to a post like mine with regard to ALL CAPs'. Hell, I ought to challenge you to a duel on a convenient sandbar! You may very possibly be contacted by one my seconds in the near future.
Last edited by GoatGuy on Sat May 02, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Canuck Bob wrote:... but I prefer to read stuff from forum members even when I disagree. ...
Hey, me too. Just got a bug up my rear today and thought to have a little fun. Probably wasted a good Saturday afternoon instead of taking care of needed chores around the place.

I rarely disagree, but if I do, I generally just move on to the next topic. This is the only forum I consistently visit and the only one on which I post. Love it here, great information gleaned here from time to time, many good people (and a rare few pains in the posterior) and mostly good topics. Sure wouldn't want to be without Leverguns.com. Been a member since around 2005 and still have fewer than 1000 posts. I sometimes get in the mood to post or reply a bunch, but generally don't. Enough for this old man to just lurk most of the time and enjoy reading what others have to opine. :D OK, I'm out for the day. Have things to do that can't be put off 'til tomorrow.
As Martha, my dear old friend in New Mexico always says when parting, "see ya, wouldn't want to be ya." - just gotta love those Mexican gals! :lol:
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Never mind...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I think some of these posts are so vague, and people took offense when maybe it wasn't really directed at them at all. Its hard to tell, at least from what I am reading. We started out the school year here in Ukiah with an idea that I have to give my Superintendent credit for bringing to the table. "Always assume good intent". That seems to work in the school setting. It might be harder here on a forum but we should probably adopt the rule and say "Always assume good intent until conclusively proven otherwise". I agree with GoatGuy that we should not really need the foe button and just try to take a step back, breath, and come back later when we are not feeling so frustrated. And if using the foe button makes this a better place for you, then by all means use it! No breaking of by-laws here!

By the way, the new Avengers movie is just awesome, awesome, awesome! They don't get along so well all the time either! :lol:

Regards,

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

GoatGuy wrote:
jeepnik wrote:
jeepnik, did I accidentally step on your toes? Sorry about that.

What, you did not think the Friend or Foe option was a capital recommendation? My recommendation was merely that, a recommendation. Just trying to help. You know, merely my humble effort in assisting to eliminate unnecessary bandwidth usage for the site by using the FRIEND OR FOE BUTTON :wink:

...THINK I SHOULD BE IN CHARGE OF NET ETIQUETTE, as you obliquely imply? Wouldn't have the job, 'cause (1) I hate arbitrary rules and (2) the pay sucks! Nor for that matter any other kind of etiquette as I'm not very very etiquette savvy. My friends and family will attest to that.
Nope, I just can't resist being an educated donkey.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

the foe button works nicely - gives you the option of reading someone's posts - doesn't even have anything to do with intention, more so with habits.
It's the fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me thing. OK, I know better than to open those threads now.
I think the OP went a bit far on his justification, recommendation, defense, whatever, but I'm not going to foe him. Come to think of it, I like most of his posts.
It's also not about policing someone else's dump - it's about taking care of your own.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I usually read every post, even ones I know nothing about, like Glocks and American football etc. Some posts crack me up, some posts teach me things that I really should know, some posts are just plain pleasant to read.
I very rarely ever feel offended or insulted by anything I see here on Leverguns.com, I suppose I just accept that everyone is different and that they may post something opinionated one day and something funny or very useful the next. Either way I'm being entertained... :D

AND SO IT GOES.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

In the architecture/structural eng. business....our drawing notes are always in caps...
It makes the drawing easier to read...and I keep it on most all the time....

I wonder if I ever ticked someone off.....

WELL....ITS TIME TO GO SKEET SHOOTING!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

yeah, but that was a raised voice in anticipation and excitement
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Well pelosi, now I had to go unfoe you so I could read yer post.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kidding of course.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

doesn't work that way - you click on the post and then you can read it
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

GoatGuy wrote:...there is nothing good coming out of the blatant gaggle of "me too" posts...
Me, too.

Actually, I maintain that this is the finest forum of its kind, and of several other kinds, on the Internet. I don't see too much blood here.

On the other hand, if there is no salt and pepper at all, then we are left with pablum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I'm so confused.
I don't know who's mad at who (or is it whom?).
I DON't know when to use CAPS or bold.
I DON'T KNOW WHO TO FLAME!!

I suggest we ease up a bit and not take ourselves so serious.
I have coffee with some elders (little e as in older) of my church
every morning and we are far rougher on each other than anything
here. Rougher but done in love and respect. I have the utmost
respect and affection for the good men of this forum and think
offense has been taken where none meant. Now let us remember
we are wearing big boy pants and start chuckling more.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

That's good, Bullard, 'cause everyone is mad at you.

C'mon, guys - help stir the pot!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looks in general like it is complaining about people complaining. Seems a bit circular in concept.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Old Savage wrote:Looks in general like it is complaining about people complaining. Seems a bit circular in concept.
Danged if I don't agree with you for once. :roll: Good thing I don't use the "feature" eh?

I'm not a fan of "ignore" features on forums. If I can't stand to have my ideas or preconceptions challenged to debate then I really shouldn't participate at all. (Goes for everybody else too...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think the genesis of this was a knowledgeable shooter/reloader being berated rather than advised after asking opinions on various loads.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Bullard4075 wrote: Now let us remember
we are wearing big boy pants and start chuckling more.

This! :D
NRA Life Member
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Bullard4075 wrote:I'm so confused.
I don't know who's mad at who (or is it whom?).
I DON't know when to use CAPS or bold.
I DON'T KNOW WHO TO FLAME!!
I can help!

1. Assume nothing is intended as humor, especially sarcasm, and then you can assume everyone is mad at everyone else. See #5.

2. Use bold for emphasis. Use caps sparingly for short titles, etc., or to give a sense of urgent speaking (YELLING!!!!).

3. Use underlining never, because it means "italicize this text, 'cause I can't with my typewriter."

4. If you really want to yell, use all caps, bold, and italicize, and add a lot of exclamation points.

5. ASSUME EVERYONE IS MAD AT EVERYONE ELSE AND FLAME EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

. . . and you'll never go wrong on the internet.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

YOU MIGHT ALSO USE A LARGER FONT AND CHANGE YOUR TEXT COLOR TO RED!!!!!

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

sarcasm is defined as putrefying thought - it gets worse, rots, with time - never use it on anyone you love

using sarcasm on the internet is much less than intelligent
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote:Looks in general like it is complaining about people complaining. Seems a bit circular in concept.
ME TOO!!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

silly me, I thought it was discussion
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

bulldog1935 wrote:silly me, I thought it was discussion

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

bulldog1935 wrote:sarcasm is defined as putrefying thought - it gets worse, rots, with time - never use it on anyone you love

Wait....was that sarcasm? :?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

So let me get this straight; so I don't misread the OP's original thoughts. Let's all ignore rude people, or block them, so those who are rude can continue to be rude? Heaven forbid that people might conduct themselves in a gentlemanly manner, or be respectful to others on a internet forum! And by all means, if a person is rude, we shouldn't call them out, or try to tech them how to be respectful of others! Instead we should all bury our heads in the sand, and only come up for air if it's safe.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Can someone tell me what the original post was about? I have GoatGuy on my "ignore" list.

Just kidding :lol:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

bulldog1935 wrote:sarcasm is defined as putrefying thought - it gets worse, rots, with time - never use it on anyone you love

Where does condescension fit in your hierarchy of merit for on-line discussion?

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Gosh I love this place.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bullard4075 wrote:Gosh I love this place.
That sounded sarcastic :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I had a great sarcastic reply, but know one will see it. :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Steve
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hmmmm there were only 4 or 5 responders on this thread that I have blocked and yes they were blocked before the thread was ever started .

Personally I prefer the term "ignored" over blocked .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Thu May 07, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

whom you had previously blocked, though I'm not sure why I can read yours, either
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

bulldog1935 wrote:whom you had previously blocked, though I'm not sure why I can read yours, either
You can't read a blocked person unless you make an effort to , but it does let you know if there's a blocked persons response there .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hmm, just checked, don't have anyone blocked.

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

marlinman93 wrote:So let me get this straight; so I don't misread the OP's original thoughts. Let's all ignore rude people, or block them, so those who are rude can continue to be rude? Heaven forbid that people might conduct themselves in a gentlemanly manner, or be respectful to others on a internet forum! And by all means, if a person is rude, we shouldn't call them out, or try to tech them how to be respectful of others! Instead we should all bury our heads in the sand, and only come up for air if it's safe.
YEP I BELIEVE YOU'RE CORRECT AND WE SHOULD JUDGE POSTS BY THE EXPERIENCE OF THE POSTER REGARDLESS OF CONTENT OF THE POST. ANY OF YOU IDIOTS AND MORONS WITH LESS EXPERIENCE SHOULD'NT RESPOND AS IT JUST SHOWS YOUR STUPIDITY AND WORTHLESS WASTE OF BANDWIDTH.

Did I offend everyone? Did I leave anyone out? How about this; NUKE GAY WHALES FOR JESUS!
Mike
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

mikld wrote:
marlinman93 wrote:So let me get this straight; so I don't misread the OP's original thoughts. Let's all ignore rude people, or block them, so those who are rude can continue to be rude? Heaven forbid that people might conduct themselves in a gentlemanly manner, or be respectful to others on a internet forum! And by all means, if a person is rude, we shouldn't call them out, or try to tech them how to be respectful of others! Instead we should all bury our heads in the sand, and only come up for air if it's safe.
YEP I BELIEVE YOU'RE CORRECT AND WE SHOULD JUDGE POSTS BY THE EXPERIENCE OF THE POSTER REGARDLESS OF CONTENT OF THE POST. ANY OF YOU IDIOTS AND MORONS WITH LESS EXPERIENCE SHOULD'NT RESPOND AS IT JUST SHOWS YOUR STUPIDITY AND WORTHLESS WASTE OF BANDWIDTH.

Did I offend everyone? Did I leave anyone out? How about this; NUKE GAY WHALES FOR JESUS!
That was pretty lame as far as petty ignorant drivel goes..... :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

You left out COMMIE
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

BlaineG wrote:
I think I'm offended.

What happens if you say something sarcastic in a sarcastic tone?
Jeff Cooper
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nothing that I have seen on Leverguns has ever annoyed me as much as the multiple calls I get daily from people who have listened to the computer voice telling them the location and hours of the place of business I work at, just to have them ask the location and hours of the business. I roll my eyes at that question. Yes, there are stupid questions.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Bullard4075 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
I think I'm offended.

What happens if you say something sarcastic in a sarcastic tone?
Sort of like a double negative. It means it is meant sincerely. :roll:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"