Taylors Chiappa Alaskan Takedown 357 Mag Rifle 16" ?s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Taylors Chiappa Alaskan Takedown 357 Mag Rifle 16" ?s

Post by rjohns94 »

anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =479974095

pricey but I like the features. Thoughts?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Taylors Chiappa Alaskan Takedown 357 Mag Rifle 16" ?s

Post by Pete44ru »

No direct experience here.......... :roll:

I do like the octagon barrel, Mike - and (believe it or not, since I don't usually) also like the synthetic stock.

What I don't personally care for is the peep sight on the barrel, even though I know it was done to preserve any possible change in zero after re-assembling.

If I bought it, I would definitely switch out that barrel peep for a folder like the Lyman #16, to set up dual zeroes - then D/T the bolt top's rear half for a Skinner LoPro or Steve's bolt peep.

I would also change out that particular design of FO front sight to another brand (like a Williams FireSight), that IMO would put up with the occasional un-intended hit from brush/rocks/etc.

As for the price - If anyone wants to play, they're gonna have to pay. ;)

Mdl53
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Mdl53 »

Mike, check on Gunblast I think in the archives. They've got a review of I think that exact rifle. They seemed to like it.

Ed
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Wow in SS to boot-me like :D
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Mike, nice to see you posting! I found the Gunblast article. It refers to the 45 Colt version.

http://www.gunblast.com/Taylors-Alaskan45.htm

I don't know why you want a 357 over a 45 Colt, but I am admittedly biased! :lol: Regards my friend! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I would think with the Alaskan name it would be in a bigger bore than .357.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

They make it in .44 also or should I say .429, but I have a .357 that it would mate well with.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have always wanted my 20" .357 to be a TD, but haven't had the scratch or time.

IMO a .357 TD is about the perfect "g everywhere, do everything, eat what's available" rifle...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I had WWG do a takedown of a .44 and it just wasn't the cats meow I thought it was. I had the co-pilot from them in 45-70 and that was pretty darn near perfect for the time. I'm thinking the .357 would serve my needs just as well here on this coast and would make a nice companion piece to the side arm. I'm going to take a look at this one on Saturday and hoping the '92 frame feels more better than the Marlin frame did in .44. will give a field report on my impressions come Saturday.
Mike Johnson,

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I must be the only person out here that never was impressed with a big loop lever. But then I have never tried to use one. They dont even look good to me. I have always liked the looks of a octagon barrel. Probably because the first rifle I ever shot and still have is my dad`s old Winchester model 61 .22lr.
I dont like the looks of a peep on a lever but they do work well. I have had one on a 94 that I have owned since a boy in the 50`s. I had it and a pad put on soon as I bought it around 1956 and haven't had to re adjust it. It`s accurate! I would like to have a 92 in .256 Winchester mag. I did have a martini built up in one, had a Ruger Hawkeye in it and still have a contender barrel in one. I have at least 6 levers and like them. I do have a Taurus 92 puma in .357 and a Browning 92 in .44 mag. I wish it was in .357.
The .357 is by far more sweeter to shoot than the .44, a LOT less recoil, and I believe it is almost as effective in practical terms plus cost less to shoot. Truth is I have some fine bolt actions too but have shot more deer with my original old 94 30-30. I also have a beautiful in almost new shape model 64 made around 1953 plus a model 95 carbine in .30 army (30/40).

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

rjohns94; I am a big heavy guy, about 280 lbs at the moment. I have shot levers for over 60 years. I am here to retell you, the 92 clones is a sweet dream to shoot in 357 as opposed to the .44 mag and I have both! I think they are more useful. I once did shoot a .45 colt in a 94 a guy had that I met on the range. It hurt! I dont know what kind of load he had in it but it was no fun! Hands down, I would take the 357 over the .44 mag or .45 colt. As said, I own them in .30-30, .357, 44 mag, 30/40, and also own a winchester 88 in .308.
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

I ended up with a couple of Marlin TD's that were made by Lee Hadaway for a gun shop in the south that are awful nice, but have the 20" barrel on each. They are also not in the caliber that you are looking at Mike, but I sure like them. The Chiappa has the caliber, barrel length and finish going for it (mine are blue/walnut) and most importantly, availability. That surely would be about the perfect packing rifle. Let us know if you end up with it.

SM

Link to the pics and forum talk on it.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/ ... -down.html
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I guess I'm old enough to remember flakey Italian rifles.....Are the Italian clones up to snuff these days? They sure are expensive enough to be good. I think I'd go with the Henry Big Boy .357 and they make them in blue steel now... :idea: :idea: If I had extra money, the JapChester 92 would be Da Kine.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

BlaineG wrote:I guess I'm old enough to remember flakey Italian rifles.....Are the Italian clones up to snuff these days? They sure are expensive enough to be good. I think I'd go with the Henry Big Boy .357 and they make them in blue steel now... :idea: :idea: If I had extra money, the JapChester 92 would be Da Kine.....

But they don't have a take down feature
Mike Johnson,

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

SargeMarlin wrote:I ended up with a couple of Marlin TD's that were made by Lee Hadaway for a gun shop in the south that are awful nice, but have the 20" barrel on each. They are also not in the caliber that you are looking at Mike, but I sure like them. The Chiappa has the caliber, barrel length and finish going for it (mine are blue/walnut) and most importantly, availability. That surely would be about the perfect packing rifle. Let us know if you end up with it.

SM

Link to the pics and forum talk on it.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/ ... -down.html

My .44 was very similar. Nice looking rifle.
Mike Johnson,

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

rjohns94 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I guess I'm old enough to remember flakey Italian rifles.....Are the Italian clones up to snuff these days? They sure are expensive enough to be good. I think I'd go with the Henry Big Boy .357 and they make them in blue steel now... :idea: :idea: If I had extra money, the JapChester 92 would be Da Kine.....

But they don't have a take down feature
I can take it down to the rig and go shooting... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

:D
Mike Johnson,