Uberti Stallion vs. Ruger Bearcat???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Uberti Stallion vs. Ruger Bearcat???

Post by Tactical Lever »

Kind of a strange comparison maybe, especially as the Uberti that I would want is a .38 Spl. and the Bearcat is, well Bearcat caliber... 22!

So here it is, I was looking at getting a few :oops: Bearcats as they are very handy and appropriate sized .22s. But recently I saw that Uberti is making a smaller scale .38 and thought that it may be an awful handy plinker and good gun for the wife. I realize that it may cost a little more to shoot than the .22, at least until I start casting, but it does have a little more flexibility to it. Just wondering who has one and just how big are they compared to a Bearcat?

This is going to be one of those things only solved by multiple purchases, isn't it? :lol:
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Uberti Stallion vs. Ruger Bearcat???

Post by horsesoldier03 »

IMO, the Stallion would be the better buy for several reasons.
#1 .22 rounds are hard to find.
#2 I cant make .22 rounds.
#3 .38 spc is not hard to find
#4 I can reload .38 spc
#5 .38 can be loaded up or down to suit my needs.

Yes Multiple buys can resolve your dilema!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What Horsesoulder said +1. That said,you really do need both and you are comparing Apples and Oranges.
Kinda like do I need a new truck or should I get married? :?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Tactical Lever wrote:
This is going to be one of those things only solved by multiple purchases, isn't it? :lol:

Oh, YEAH ! ! . ;)

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

.22 vs. 38? .38 is more versatile and can be reloaded cheaper than today's prices for .22.
Stallion vs. Brarcat? Bearcat because it's made in USA. Handy, easy to tote. And Ruger quality and warranty/customer service, if needed.

So, kinda useless post, eh? :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Pete44ru wrote:
Tactical Lever wrote:

Oh, YEAH ! ! . ;)

Would you expect anything else from the enablers here? :D

I have an Uberti (pre-Berreta) "Ligthning" in .38 Special. It is about 2/3 the size of a SAA. Great gun. I got it for Y2K to transition from the Ruger Bearcat to a centerfire. Fit the bill perfectly!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I'd go with the .38. I like Ruger and the looks of the bearcat but the grip is kind of small. I have a S&W model 34 and the grips on it are the same way. I've been thinking of getting rid of it but I waited so long for it. I just can't bring myself to do it. Plus the .38 has a big range of bullet weights you can shoot.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

I have one of those uberti model P Juniors in 38 special....with the adjustable/target sights. it is exactly the size of the ruger single six, so larger than the bearcat. the trigger is superb and the fit and finish of this little gun is outstanding.

I recently got the bearcat 22 with the adjustable sights and it is a fine little item as well. but the 38 special is a lot more versatile.
I like it so much , I bought another one, still new in the box, for my son.
cable
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

mikld wrote:.22 vs. 38? .38 is more versatile and can be reloaded cheaper than today's prices for .22.
Stallion vs. Brarcat? Bearcat because it's made in USA. Handy, easy to tote. And Ruger quality and warranty/customer service, if needed.

Mikld said it right. I'd never buy anything from a country that knows nothing of our firearms freedom.

Rugers will last until the cows come home.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

He's in Canadia, I dont think finding 22's is an issue there.
hondo1892 wrote:I'd go with the .38. I like Ruger and the looks of the bearcat but the grip is kind of small. I have a S&W model 34 and the grips on it are the same way. I've been thinking of getting rid of it but I waited so long for it. I just can't bring myself to do it. Plus the .38 has a big range of bullet weights you can shoot.
There are several ways to get larger grips for the small frame Smiths. Smith made a couple variations of target grips for them, and there are quite a few aftermarket choices. I like the "boot grip" types, but they dont add length, just fill in some behind the trigger guard.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Sixgun wrote:
mikld wrote:.22 vs. 38? .38 is more versatile and can be reloaded cheaper than today's prices for .22.

Mikld said it right. I'd never buy anything from a country that knows nothing of our firearms freedom.

Rugers will last until the cows come home.----6
I would rather support the States, as we're good buddies, and I do like Ruger and the way the customer service (or what I hear of it).

But I do like Ubertis too. I have one in .357 with a very little play and a nice light trigger, right out of the box.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Malamute wrote:He's in Canadia, I dont think finding 22's is an issue there.
hondo1892 wrote:I'd go with the .38. I like Ruger and the looks of the bearcat but the grip is kind of small. I have a S&W model 34 and the grips on it are the same way. I've been thinking of getting rid of it but I waited so long for it. I just can't bring myself to do it. Plus the .38 has a big range of bullet weights you can shoot.
There are several ways to get larger grips for the small frame Smiths. Smith made a couple variations of target grips for them, and there are quite a few aftermarket choices. I like the "boot grip" types, but they dont add length, just fill in some behind the trigger guard.
Actually the .22s are a little tight right now here as well. We started hoarding a bit as well I think. Lots of stuff in short supply in general. Not a big deal though, I have shells and components. Just have to keep my eyes open, and sometimes what I want is not on the shelves.

The small grip is not an issue either, I have a NAA Earl that is a little tough to shoot, but I kinda' like the small scale of the Bearcat.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

To some extent, supporting a gun company in a 'non-gun' nation may help that country inch towards freedom..
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:To some extent, supporting a gun company in a 'non-gun' nation may help that country inch towards freedom..
I agree.

I have guns from all over the world. Granted, most are American-made from American companies. But if a gun is made that I am interested in that is from a company somewhere else, I figure I am supporting world-wide gun rights.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

I think I need some comparison pics next to other revolvers please!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Good points. IMO, with ISIS becoming a global threat, it is only a matter of time before other countries reconsider their position of gun laws.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Uberti Stallion Lightning .38

Uberti next to my Ruger Vaquero "Montado" .45

Last edited by Mossyoak1957 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Here's my set. The Ruger Bearcat - obvious due to the Ruger logo grips, and the Pre-Beretta Uberti Lightning:

As you can see, very similar size. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

For comparison, here they are with a gen-u-ine 3rd generation Colt Single Action Army in .357 Magnum: :D

Again, IIRC, the Lightning is a 2/3rds size or scaled SAA - with the "Colt Lightning" type birds-head grips (thus, I imagine, the name - though this is NOT a double action as the original Colt Lightning revolvers were).

The Colt SAA sports a 5.5" barrel (what was nicknamed, though never official, the "artillery model").
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Another way to think of the scale.

Here is a Ruger Bearcat below an Uberti "Colt 1849 Pocket Model". This is a reproduction of the #1 selling cap & ball revolver Colt ever made (during the period). It is a 5-shot .31-caliber compared to the 6-shot .22 rimfire Bearcat.

1894c

Post by 1894c »

this is a good thread...I like the Ruger Bearcat, but have used S&W J-frames in .38spl as a woods gun, shot allot of grouse and squirrels with .38 wad-cutters going about 750-800fps...presently I take my Glock 26 in 9mm as my woods gun... :)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Kinda like do I need a new truck or should I get married?
I think you can get a new truck and get married at the same time, especially if she can change the oil...I would like to say that there are some similarities between the two, but I really like breathing... :O
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Another way to think of the scale.

Here is a Ruger Bearcat below an Uberti "Colt 1849 Pocket Model". This is a reproduction of the #1 selling cap & ball revolver Colt ever made (during the period). It is a 5-shot .31-caliber compared to the 6-shot .22 rimfire Bearcat.

"Ask and you shall receive." You guys are awesome. And enablers! That little Pocket model you have is another gun that I covet. I have a larger 1851 (I think) that is a little bigger than it needs to be. I would really like a 1862 Pocket Navy. I missed a chance at it, by the time I figured that I should have bought it.

What do you think of the strength of the Uberti Stallion? I have heard that they are not +P rated, or is that being overly conservative? Ideally I would like to be able to go mild .357 or 38 Spl. +P+, but maybe that is pushing things.

The one that I am looking at is with the plow handle grip, and a 5.5 inch barrel. And I agree the "Lightning" name is a little off, when we are comparing it to the original DA revolvers.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

What do you think of the strength of the Uberti Stallion? I have heard that they are not +P rated, or is that being overly conservative? Ideally I would like to be able to go mild .357 or 38 Spl. +P+, but maybe that is pushing things.

The one that I am looking at is with the plow handle grip, and a 5.5 inch barrel. And I agree the "Lightning" name is a little off, when we are comparing it to the original DA revolvers.[/quote]

Actually I spoke to someone from Uberti about my .38 he said.... No hot loads or +P ammo
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mossyoak1957 wrote:What do you think of the strength of the Uberti Stallion? I have heard that they are not +P rated, or is that being overly conservative? Ideally I would like to be able to go mild .357 or 38 Spl. +P+, but maybe that is pushing things.

The one that I am looking at is with the plow handle grip, and a 5.5 inch barrel. And I agree the "Lightning" name is a little off, when we are comparing it to the original DA revolvers.
Actually I spoke to someone from Uberti about my .38 he said.... No hot loads or +P ammo[/quote]

I agree. If you want to shoot stiffer fodder, I wouldn't opt for the 2/3rds scale revolver. Get a gun designed for that round.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Tactical Lever wrote: "Ask and you shall receive." You guys are awesome. And enablers! That little Pocket model you have is another gun that I covet. I have a larger 1851 (I think) that is a little bigger than it needs to be. I would really like a 1862 Pocket Navy. I missed a chance at it, by the time I figured that I should have bought it.
There was an auction on GunBroker last month advertised as a "1851 Navy". The picture looked off, then I realized the cylinder was stepped. I asked the seller if it was really a .36 caliber. He responded "yes". Then I asked him if it was a 5-shot or 6-shot. He responded 5-shot though the listing said 6-shot.

I knew he actually had a reproduction 1862 Pocket Navy.

Unfortunately he corrected the listing to a 5-shot and everyone figured out what it was. The price shot up well beyond what I wanted to pay (since I already had one).

A 4-inch barrel 1862 Pocket Navy would be the cat's meow! :D
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Tactical Lever wrote: "Ask and you shall receive." You guys are awesome. And enablers! That little Pocket model you have is another gun that I covet. I have a larger 1851 (I think) that is a little bigger than it needs to be. I would really like a 1862 Pocket Navy. I missed a chance at it, by the time I figured that I should have bought it.
There was an auction on GunBroker last month advertised as a "1851 Navy". The picture looked off, then I realized the cylinder was stepped. I asked the seller if it was really a .36 caliber. He responded "yes". Then I asked him if it was a 5-shot or 6-shot. He responded 5-shot though the listing said 6-shot.

I knew he actually had a reproduction 1862 Pocket Navy.

Unfortunately he corrected the listing to a 5-shot and everyone figured out what it was. The price shot up well beyond what I wanted to pay (since I already had one).

A 4-inch barrel 1862 Pocket Navy would be the cat's meow! :D
Well, I already have a Uberti in .357. The wife really likes that one, but probably not as much with full power loads. I saw the Uberti Stallion and thought it would make a nice gun for her. (Mostly her, I swear :oops:) I didn't really want to turn it into another .357, but a little more punch would be nice. I think they should make it with a stronger 5 shot cylinder and a safety notch so that the hammer can rest between the rounds (or even an old school pin). But a transfer bar would be even better. I imagine the frame would be strong enough.