husqvarna viking 6440 sewing maching woes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

husqvarna viking 6440 sewing maching woes

Post by Grizz »

My wife's 6440 won't zigzag any more. the needle shaft is free to move side to side, but whatever is supposed to kick it over isn't. scant help on inet, anyone have some intel? it sews straight line and both directions. but no zig or zag.

thanks

Grizz
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: husqvarna viking 6440 sewing maching woes

Post by Mescalero »

Joe would know.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

So its not zigging when it should zag?
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Mescalero wrote:Joe would know.
+ 1 or he could sell you a Singer!
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

harry wrote:So its not zigging when it should zag?

Oh man! That was good........Sorry Grizz....the only thing I know are Winchesters and Colts...but........

Take a look see........sounds like to me there is a cam in there that does the zigging. Maybe it's a simple thing...like a screw came out.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Grizz,
I don't know about the Viking in particular, but it sounds like a cam issue. Cracked, maybe just gummed up. With my wife's machines, I always start with a thorough cleaning.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

mack wrote:Grizz,
I don't know about the Viking in particular, but it sounds like a cam issue. Cracked, maybe just gummed up. With my wife's machines, I always start with a thorough cleaning.
Thanks Mack

yeah, the cam was cracked and I replaced that. the zig zag follower won't stay on the cam unless I push in on the plastic stitch wheel. and even then it won't produce a clean stitch, it wants to invent stitches.

my wife is a very particular quilter, she made the viking guy time this machine so it would back up into the same holes as the forward stitch so that there aren't any extraneous stitches :!: but that was long long ago in a far away place, and that "repairman" broke and then glued the screw holes in the plastic parts because he evidently couldn't find the screws that held it together.

oh well, it lasted 40 years and it isn't a winchester, so I guess we can be glad for what she got out of it.

here is one of her originals:
Raven's Tale.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.