Help!!! Trapdoor Identification Please!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Help!!! Trapdoor Identification Please!!

Post by Mainehunter »

I just put this 1884 Springfield Trapdoor 45-70 on layaway.

I haven't seen this type of setup before especially with the front sight it has on. When I picked it up I was surprised how well balanced it was. Everything checked out fine, bright bore and tight lockup I couldn't resist. Has anybody seen this setup before? Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Mainehunter :wink:
budliteguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by budliteguy »

Its been customized sometime in its life, looks like they done a good job, it looks like they didn't recrown the barrel, I have never seen a front sight like that before. Looks like it also still has the groove in the stock for the cleaning rod. Interesting rifle. With that sight set up it will most likely shoot high.
Last edited by budliteguy on Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Not original modification, but certainly unique. Reminds me of a Mannlicher Musket.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Not original modification, but certainly unique. Reminds me of a Mannlicher Musket.
It certainly does look like a Mannlicher, I find it quite interesting. I have been gone posting on this board for several months now but been lurking from time to time, just can't keep away :D. Just too busy with family stuff and I'm in the beginning stages of totally remodeling my house so that means I will not have time do any serious load testing on her. Maybe late summer or early fall but with all of my casting and loading supplies in storage I doubt it :cry:.

Mainehunter :wink:
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I like the mannlicher style stock. I would have no problems owning that rifle. As far as time goes I here what your saying. I'm doing the basement project from hell. Thank God the weather has been bad , it forces me to stay in the basement , not at the reloading bench either. Once the weather gets nice I'll be outside.

I picked up a H&R 45-70 single shot last year. I wanted to play with black powder loads. But have not gotten time to do that. One problem was the factory sight has really no elevation. So I picked up a 30-40 Krag sight at a gun show and filed it to the barrel contour. But haven't got around to tapping the barrel for it yet. If I like playing with black powder then I figured I'd move on to a trapdoor.

Good Luck with your gun!