What Is A Whitney Phoenix?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

What Is A Whitney Phoenix?

Post by Shrapnel »

I never knew what they were until I saw a couple on the Rock Island Auction. I bid on both, hoping to get one and actually got both. I took the 44-40 out today and shot gophers with it. What good are guns if you don't shoot them...

Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Re: What Is A Whitney Phoenix?

Post by Les Staley »

Shrap, your gophers don't really appreciate how privileged they are to be killed with such a rare antique rifle.. I thought my gophers would like to be shot with a Shiloh Hartford model in 45-70, but they weren't impressed..just went several feet in the air and came down certifiable grave yard dead..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

gonna pass on knowing any thing on the guns but they sure are nice!!
so what's the other one chambered in?
the guns were made to shoot & glad to see your putting them too use!!!

ollogger
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Neat! I remember reading about them in one of Mr. DeHass' books but have seen one in the flesh or even another photo outside the one in the book prior to tonight. What is the other one chambered for?

Eric
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

I bought it thinking it was chambered in 38-40 as it was listed as a 38 CF. When I got it, it will chamber a 38 special. It definitely isn't 38-40. Mike Venturino will be writing an article on it soon, until then I won't know exactly what the chambering is. We need to slug the barrel and check the chamber dimensions before we do anything about firing the gun....
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Ive heard/read of them, but dont think I've ever seen one. Congrats on scoring the pair of nice, interesting old guns!

What does that gopher score in the record books?

I shot a really impressive bull mouse with a 30-30 round ball load, it was stealing my bird seed. Really impressive stopping power with that load.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

One part High Wall, one part Hepburn, one part Snider? :D
Slow is just slow.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I bought it thinking it was chambered in 38-40 as it was listed as a 38 CF. When I got it, it will chamber a 38 special. It definitely isn't 38-40. Mike Venturino will be writing an article on it soon, until then I won't know exactly what the chambering is. We need to slug the barrel and check the chamber dimensions before we do anything about firing the gun....
I look forward to reading that one!

Eric
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

They are quite interesting looking. Congratulations on getting a couple of rare old rifles. Gophers BEWARE!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

kind of a side-wise falling block. -ish?
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Shrapnel,
I'm with some of the other guys. I've looked at a LOT of guns in my time, but those are a first for me. Really neat guns!
Irv
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

There were lots of different versions of the earliest breech loaders. That one is similar to the Snider but with a two piece stock. Very cool rifles indeed.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Les Staley wrote:Shrap, your gophers don't really appreciate how privileged they are to be killed with such a rare antique rifle.. I thought my gophers would like to be shot with a Shiloh Hartford model in 45-70, but they weren't impressed..just went several feet in the air and came down certifiable grave yard dead..
They were so overjoyed at the privilage that they lept for joy while hugging the incoming round and promptly died of excitement.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Weren't Whitneys used on the Southern Side by their snipers in the way Sharps were on the North?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Old Ironsights wrote:Weren't Whitneys used on the Southern Side by their snipers in the way Sharps were on the North?
Whitworths. :)
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I know you said CF but no chance it's 38 RF? Anyway nice looking rifles.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Daisyman wrote:Shrapnel,
I'm with some of the other guys. I've looked at a LOT of guns in my time, but those are a first for me. Really neat guns!
Irv
+1 Same here. Hope you find out soon what other rifle's cartridge is.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's really interesting. I was baffled so I looked it up in a few old books I have and I'm pretty sure the cartridge is the center fire version of the 38 Long rim fire. Bullet diameter is listed at .375 and the book claims cases can be made from 38 Spl.

Common sense tells me it probably very close to the 38 Long Colt cartridge as it uses a heel bullet.

As you already shot it, what are you using? I'm guessing a .375 diameter heel bullet that will fit in a cut down 38 Spl case over 3 grains of Bullseye or 4 grains of Unique.

Pretty neat....keep us informed .-------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Sixgun wrote: As you already shot it, what are you using? I'm guessing a .375 diameter heel bullet that will fit in a cut down 38 Spl case over 3 grains of Bullseye or 4 grains of Unique.

Pretty neat....keep us informed .-------6
I haven't shot it. We need to investigate the chamber dimensions and the bore diameter before we so shoot it. One person that had several of these told me that he thought it could be a 38 extra long. We still need to find out what ever it is to get it working...
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OK, I reread and once again, before I put my brain in gear, I was "assuming" both were in 38 .....the other is a 44-40.

According to Flaydermans, your rifles were made in the 1867-1881 period and the 38 extra long center fire did not come about until 1885 where the 38 long center fire came out in 1875. This last bit of info came from Cartridges of the World.

An easy way to find out whether it's one or the other is to slug the bore. The 38 long was a .375 diameter and the 38 Extra Long used a standard .358 diameter bullet.

Another weird possibility is the 38-45 Stevens and that used a .363 diameter bullet.

A good bet would be the 38 Long as that cartridge was the most popular of the day.

When you have the difference between .358 and .375, a micrometer will tell you what you have without slugging.

One of the coolest things with antique rifles is all the figuring you have to do to make the gun shoot accurate.-----6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..