Shape of old Marlin 1895 forearm

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BrentD

Shape of old Marlin 1895 forearm

Post by BrentD »

If anyone has an original 1895 Marlin (square bolt) with original wood, I would greatly appreciate photos of the top of the forearm where it rolls over to the barrel. I am shaping my replacement wood, and I need to know how to radius it just right. I tend to leave the top of the forearm too flat I think but I don't know what real stock looks like (they are rather rare in this neck of the woods).

I would also like a good look at an original comb nose as well. How thin it is? Does it have much concave? How steep?

Any photos of these details on an original 95 would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Brent
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Re: Shape of old Marlin 1895 forearm

Post by plowboy 45 »

Hope this helps
Im not to good of a photographer
Brent I'm guessing this is the original stock, can't be positive
The pictured forearm below is not
I looked at a friends gun and rasped away till I liked it then sanded
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by plowboy 45 on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Heres what I did about a forearm, sent it to a gun smith when I got it back it had one of them big ol fat checker thangs on it, so I took a shoeing rasp and went to work, might not be correct but it works for me
Hope this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

If I need pics I go to these guys, http://jamesdjulia.com/?s=marlin+1895+l ... _value=327, heres 4 or 5 95's. danny
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

How similar are they to the 1893 forearms? I have two, both for octagon barrels. I can photograph if you like, or maybe even send one so you could use it as a pattern.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I know a guy with an original 95. I may be able to get pics in the next day or so. I think his is in pretty original condition.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

BrentD., I sure would like to know how the stock turned out on your 1895 Marlin...
I will be doing the same to the one I have and I am wondering who has a really good replacement stocks and forearms, maybe even just excellent blanks?
Are there other model of Marlin stocks/forearms fit up to the 1895? Thanks Smokenrust
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...