30 Carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

30 Carbine

Post by 6pt-sika »

We sent an order in today to Midway .

They had Hornady Critical Defense on sale so I got a box of the stuff for the 30 Carbine as well as some Privi soft point 30 Carbine .

Wanna see how this stuff does in both my guns .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 30 Carbine

Post by JReed »

Cool. Dont have a 30 Carbine but it is a cool round. Look forward to your range report.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I actually intend to kill a deer with the old Carbine and one of those rounds or quite possibly some 60's vintage Norma soft point ammo my grandfather bought shortly after he got the gun in 1962 .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

6 point,
In the last several years I have played with the 30 carbine round to the tune of about 2k rounds....not a lot....but I did gain some knowledge.

I use the Lyman 115 gr. gas check FP. Designed for the 32-20 with 11.5 of 2400 or 12 gr. of 4227. Yea, I get a hang up from time to time but as I'm not shooting those little guys in the South Pacific, well, I guess I'm good-to-go......on the fun scale. I polished up the feed ramp and use only quality military mags and I may get one hang up out of 30 rounds. I'm still experimenting with seating depths and I find I do better with a long seat.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I got some 'plated' bullets in .312" or so a few years back and been using them in 32-20. They might work in the 30 Carbine as well (and might feed better...?).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:6 point,
In the last several years I have played with the 30 carbine round to the tune of about 2k rounds....not a lot....but I did gain some knowledge.

I use the Lyman 115 gr. gas check FP. Designed for the 32-20 with 11.5 of 2400 or 12 gr. of 4227. Yea, I get a hang up from time to time but as I'm not shooting those little guys in the South Pacific, well, I guess I'm good-to-go......on the fun scale. I polished up the feed ramp and use only quality military mags and I may get one hang up out of 30 rounds. I'm still experimenting with seating depths and I find I do better with a long seat.-----6
I used that same Ideal/Lyman mold in the 32-20's I had . But I've since sold the mold . Think it was 312316 also had a Ideal/Lyman 90 grain GC mold that worked pretty well in the 32-20 , 32 H&R Mag and 327 Federal .
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Killed a few Fl whitetail with a carbine and 110 grain soft points back in the day. Worked fine on the little deer down here.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

My Dad said deer with the 30 Carbine was no problem. I thought this load below would give it some insurance. Pricey though! I think at the ranges you have been shooting them a soft point will work also.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/553131 ... uctFinding
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

EdinCT wrote:My Dad said deer with the 30 Carbine was no problem. I thought this load below would give it some insurance. Pricey though! I think at the ranges you have been shooting them a soft point will work also.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/553131 ... uctFinding
I just wanna kill one with my grandfathers Carbine and one with my dads Carbine . They both bought them from the NRA back in 1962 , the year after I was hatched . I still have the paper work that came with both of them from the Tobyhanna Army Depot in Tobyhanna PA . And what I think is relatively cool , when I used to hunt the Poconos a few years back we hunted one public land that butted right up to the Tobyhanna Depot !

I have whats left of a 20 round box of Norma softpoints my grandfather bought back in 1962 . And I know where it shoots with them out to 50 yards . Doubt if I'd try to kill a deer much past 30-40 yards with one of these thou .

There's also a guy on Gunbroker in Ohio I think who claims to have a bunch of 50 round boxes of soft point Winchester and Remington ammo that I would say is late 50's to possibly mid 60's . Had thoughts of getting a box of the Winchester stuff , but he wants $40 a box . The Winchester is HP SP and the Remington is I think RN SP .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I think at the moment I have a little over 1,200 rounds of hardball for the Carbines . Oh yeah I still have a couple hundred rounds left over from what my grandfather got back in the 60's . One of his nephews hooked him up with 1,000 or so rounds of Korean War surplus ammo .
As to soft tipped stuff I might have 150 rounds between the 75 I ordered today the Norma stuff and some other stuff I'ce picked up over the last couple years .

Everytime someone brings a bunch of stuff in the shop and they have Carbine ammo priced right I pick it all up . Got three boxes REM/UMC hardball and two boxes Wolf hardball last week for the huge some of $65 .
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I'd have to dig around but if one of you guys would like some ammo I think I have 75 rounds or so of factory around here somewhere from when I used to carry a carbine killing feral dogs for the DNR. Just send me an address and the ammo will be on it's way (once I find it!).

Eric
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I have one of the 1962 DCM carbines..mine is a hand stamp Inland, made late in the war when they were making M2 full auto guns at the same time as M1 semi autos. The number (1 or 2) w as left off the gun till orders were being filled. When my second daughter wanted to deer hunt, I had a partial box of Norma soft points, and after a familiarization with the gun and a shot or two on target, there were only four rounds left for her. I was pretty broke, and figured she would get cold and go back to the house shortly after daylight, so four rounds went to the blind with her. A little after seven a nice eight point came walking down the trail, stopped about 25 yards from her, she took carefull aim and at her shot, it streaked back the way it came from. A miss.. So she racked the rifle, (not aware that it had loaded itself) and kept hunting. A bit later, three does came sneaking down the edge of the swamp, taking carefull aim at the biggest one she shot. Walked down to the trail, found blood, marked the trail with her hat and gloves, and went and found my brother. He recovered the doe, and while dragging it back past her blind, she told him about the nice buck she'd shot at earlier. He trailed it over the ridge, and recovered a nice eight point whitetail...I went down later the next day and found the live round she had racked out.. Yes, the M1 carbine will put venison in the freezer!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I have one of the 1962 DCM carbines..mine is a hand stamp Inland, made late in the war when they were making M2 full auto guns at the same time as M1 semi autos. The number (1 or 2) w as left off the gun till orders were being filled. When my second daughter wanted to deer hunt, I had a partial box of Norma soft points, and after a familiarization with the gun and a shot or two on target, there were only four rounds left for her. I was pretty broke, and figured she would get cold and go back to the house shortly after daylight, so four rounds went to the blind with her. A little after seven a nice eight point came walking down the trail, stopped about 25 yards from her, she took carefull aim and at her shot, it streaked back the way it came from. A miss.. So she racked the rifle, (not aware that it had loaded itself) and kept hunting. A bit later, three does came sneaking down the edge of the swamp, taking carefull aim at the biggest one she shot. Walked down to the trail, found blood, marked the trail with her hat and gloves, and went and found my brother. He recovered the doe, and while dragging it back past her blind, she told him about the nice buck she'd shot at earlier. He trailed it over the ridge, and recovered a nice eight point whitetail...I went down later the next day and found the live round she had racked out.. Yes, the M1 carbine will put venison in the freezer!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I was born this way.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Mods, please delete one of these double posts. Thanks, Les

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I was born this way.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Priv Partisan ammo, its about the only semi-affordable soft point available.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

6pt.

Funny you should mention the Critical Defense. I was just thinking about that stuff the other day wondering how it would work.
Please let us know what you think.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

OldWin wrote:6pt.

Funny you should mention the Critical Defense. I was just thinking about that stuff the other day wondering how it would work.
Please let us know what you think.
I got the ammo today and looked it over . "Looks" okay so I just got off their website I ordered two more boxes of the Hornady Critical Defense and one more box of the Prvi SP ammo .
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks 6pt.

When you get to shoot some, please let us know how it feeds and shoots.

I use Critical Defense in 9mm and .38 and I like it. Seems like it would be a great .30 Carbine load.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.