Music?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Music?

Post by mikld »

OK fellers, I have a gripe. How come any gun related or car related show on TV has that gawd awful head banger, distorted guitar, twangy and loud "music" in the background? The other day I was watching some G&A TV and one of the "Tactical" programs, hosted by a well known shooter/writer/ex-Special Forces guru, had that crappy, teeny-bopper, head banger stuff of an excuse for music loudly playing as a few fellers dumped complete magazine through their ARs. I had to turn it off. Not long ago I was watching a car show on TV, and that too had the loud, distorted guitar, over amped "music" during the intro and in the background. Who the hell decides what kind of music is played during these shows? Mebbe he's not acquainted with real folks that are interested in shooting and autos? I'm positive that 90% of the viewers find this "music" as distasteful and annoying as I do. I am certainly not a wusse, and I'm turned off by this assault on my ears. I've stopped watching these "macho/man" related shows just 'cause I get a headache listening and they ain't good enough to watch "muted"...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Music?

Post by Mescalero »

What would you suggest?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:( I think they are aiming for the demographic that enjoys that pelosi....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mescalero wrote:What would you suggest?
Yea, I was thinking maybe the music they play on "Ellen" or maybe "Oprah". Then we could "dance up and down the aisles". :D

OK, only joshing you.......the reason for the hard rock music is because that's the only music that gets people psyched up. It goes with the blasting of automatic fire and screeching wheels.

Could anyone imagine some cats shooting a pair of m-16's and a Ma-Deuce to the tune of Barry Manilow?------6
Model A Uzi’s
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

deleted
Last edited by superchicken on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

:( I think they are aiming for the demographic that enjoys that pelosi....
Yep Blain, but is the shooting community that demographic? I think their aim is way off. None of the shooting/sportsman groups that I've been around are into that kind of music. I shot a bit at Angeles Silhouette Club's facilities and no music was allowed on the firing line, but the office/store had Muzak in the background. I attended several meetings of the Southern Oregon Sportsman Association, and none of the members there were into hard rock (mebbe Chuck Berry or Willie Nelson :lol: ). When I think guns, I don't automatically think "Hard Rock". It does not bode well with my shooting and it's not allowed in my reloading room...

This is just a pet peeve of mine and it really makes no difference since I keep the TV remote clutched tightly in my grubby little hands. I just thought someone mebbe had a sensible answer...

Chicken, There are so few shows on TV relating to shooting, meaning the pickin's be really thin. It's either those or nuttin' and yep it's gonna be nuttin'. Davidsons had a program that was interesting, but the folks that reviewed/showcased the guns shown were representatives of the gun's manufacturer, so every review was great...
Mike
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The young guys may more often like that music, and THEY may have not decided what is good to buy yet, so are the prime target audience. Those of us who are geezerly-enough (or just have better taste in music) not to like the music are probably guys who have more likely already decided what brands to buy and so on.

I just turn the volume down and watch while doing something else, to see if anything actually interesting shows up.

But I agree and would personally prefer a different 'soundtrack' - there IS stuff from Tangerine Dream or Terje Rypdal that is 'guitary' and 'action-sounding' but not as abrasive.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I dunno, but I kinda like the music played during a TV show's deer hunting video................. Just like when I hunt.......... :roll: :roll:

Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Since I'm hard of hearing, I always have the "Closed Caption" turned on, displaying the text of the show when I watch television. If I don't like the background music, I hit the mute button and can still track what's being said.
Unfortunately, I find very little TV program worth watching, so I turn to Netflix. The bad thing about Netflix is I don't get those captions that help me understand what's going on! :(

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

..."Let Your Bullets Fly Like Rain"...

From: "Machine Gun" by Jimi Hendrix (one of my personal favorites)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I sorta like "what's his name" now... couldn't stand his schtick when he (& I) were younger!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Well, I know you'd prefer Glen Miller, but he's probably dead if not still a secret prisoner of the Japanese.

And, I heard the Lemons Sisters broke up.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

2571: THAT'S THE LENNON Sisters, not the Lemmon sisters....(opps. Just gave away my age)
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Actually, seeing the music references and music threads on a couple other forums, I think theres plenty of people that are shooters and like screechy banging music. Anything hard rock or heavy metal-ish sounds that way to me, but I think some consider it "classic rock".

This is as hard as I care for. Its a bit different, I like it pretty much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zI8sI4Ddqo

Something else weird,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZWgJpsVYEU
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Neil Casper
Levergunner

Post by Neil Casper »

It takes all kinds.
neil
If it doesn't fit in my sea bag, I'm not going!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Shasta wrote:Since I'm hard of hearing, I always have the "Closed Caption" turned on, displaying the text of the show when I watch television. If I don't like the background music, I hit the mute button and can still track what's being said.
Unfortunately, I find very little TV program worth watching, so I turn to Netflix. The bad thing about Netflix is I don't get those captions that help me understand what's going on! :(

SHASTA
You got to keep up with the times. gramps!

If I watch Netflix through the computer or the Xbox, I get subtitles :D (yes, deaf here too)
If I watch it through the Blu-ray, I get no subtitles. :(
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

vancelw wrote:
Shasta wrote:Since I'm hard of hearing, I always have the "Closed Caption" turned on, displaying the text of the show when I watch television. If I don't like the background music, I hit the mute button and can still track what's being said.

SHASTA
You got to keep up with the times. gramps!

If I watch Netflix through the computer or the Xbox, I get subtitles :D (yes, deaf here too)
If I watch it through the Blu-ray, I get no subtitles. :(

Blue-Ray is how I watch it..

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Gotta go to the "settings" on the Blu-ray to set up subtitles... just don't do like me... and then set it to German or Spanish, then I have to translate for the wife! She only knows French 'sides English,
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Ac/Dc shoot to thrill comes to mind! :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I like my rock hard and loud,
but I have always liked Loreena Mckennit, never thought of looking for her on you tube............ thanks.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

For listening pleasure I like most all music (I have old western/country, Do-Wop, jazz, Delta Blues, 60s R&B, what I call "Tai Chi" music, and most others except hard rock). I have of CDs of Gregorian chants, Brother Iz, to Country Gospel and think music suits a particular situation; I won't listen to Honkey Tonk while trying to nap or read, and if I need to concentrate on a particular task, I won't put any Stevie Ray Vaughn or Joe Cocker on the CD. I don't agree the producers are targeting a "buying public". I believe they think the "violent music" goes along with the "violent" sport...

jes my opinion, and was looking for input (and wanted to start a conversation)...
Mike
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Mescalero wrote:I like my rock hard and loud,
but I have always liked Loreena Mckennit, never thought of looking for her on you tube............ thanks.

I do in fact like some older rock, though it isnt a steady thing to listen to for me. As an example, some Jimi Hendrix I really like, and some makes me feel wound up and irritated for some reason.

I started looking for music on youtube a couple years ago and have found some very obscure stuff. I shouldnt have been too surprised when I heard that most younger users of youtube use it for listening to music.

I wouldnt have understood or appreciated Ian Tysons song "The Gift" if I hadnt see it on youtube. I would have missed that it was about Charlie Russell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPpBHAgP7Zs

Theres also unbelievable numbers of old TV shows on it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I tell ya.....there ain't nothing like the Iron Butterfly, Metallica, Yes, Jimi Hendrix, Blind Faith, led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, early Eric Clapton, BLACK SABBATH, Grand Funk Railroad, and my favorite....and not crazy rock......the Moody Blues, with the Yes a close second.....STARSHIP TROOPER.....yea baby...rock........to hell with the sissy music.....bang....bang....bang.....you ain't liven' listening to Lawrence Welk. :D ------6
Model A Uzi’s
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Yeah Lawrence Welk background music wouldn't sell many products, whenever it came on, folks would get up and take their meds and softeners. And a one and a two.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

One thing I always liked about the gunblast.com vids was the music. Good stuff.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Lawrence Welk?

I'm with you on some of them, Pink Floyd or Moody Blues now and then. I listen to classical more often though.
Rusty wrote:how about this from Magpul?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAbNvZ2QHVg

I didnt mind that music as much as some of the hard rock.

I like this Nightwish tune pretty well, especially coupled with the Serenity vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eTS-m7215w

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Mescalero wrote:What would you suggest?
Strauss Lieder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaAorqR0ICk

otherwise, the Hives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M02bAWDFkI

ok, just kidding - how about Copeland? He was "borrowed" for all the good western move soundtracks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXikDnYZYpM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4E1JYP5Tgc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr_Y5QdW7wc

(Dvorak didn't get it - when he toured the old west he still made us sound Bohemian)

good old American music
Gershwin, Jazz, Torch Singers, BeBop - Marsalis brothers - Jazz at Lincoln Center
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGDc5BuJTWw

70s rock? There's nothing as dark as that music.
I grew up with it and I'd rather hear School of Fish or Chile Peppers.
Or Tragically Hip - Gordy can't sing, but he can write songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaeEopDW0V4

btw, if there's a music of the world, it's Cuban music - there are more of the world's different cultures rolled into it than any other music from elsewhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBv8rx8 ... rBULgTztmB