Stevens 35 Remington levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Stevens 35 Remington levergun

Post by MacEntyre »

I met a fellow today who is selling a Stevens lever in 35 Remington. It was in tough shape when he got it, so he reblued it and sorta fixed a bad spot in the front end of the stock, above the right side of the trigger. It's got a clean bore, and the action looks and feels nice. It looks like a 336 with a round lever, but the bolt tilts downward and move back at an angle, to disappear just above the trigger, inside the receiver. The elevator snaps up only at the extreme end of the lever cycle.

He's asking "$450 negotiable" which to me is wishful thinking. I'm wondering what it is worth, because it's not much of a project... likely nothing more than a new rear stock. Does anyone know anything about these rifles?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Stevens 35 Remington levergun

Post by AJMD429 »

The tipping-bolt sounds like a Savage-99 action, and I think Stevens is sort of the bargain version of Savage, right...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Stevens model 425 High Power. There were different calibers back then but Stevens didn't make a lot of them so they are kind of rare. I once had an opportunity to pick one up in 35 Rem. few years back but the gentleman opted to hold up. Price range I've seen start at $400 and can go as $1200 depending on the caliber and condition. Since it's been re-blued I'd say that price is on the high side BUT again they are rare.

Mainehunter :wink:
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Mainehunter wrote:Stevens model 425 High Power.
That's it!

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Manufact ... 20425.html
http://www.leverguns.com/leverguns/stev ... el_425.htm

I meant to say that it has a short mag tube. The butt stock was cut, so it is no longer crescent shaped. He told me his research turned up a manufacture date of between 1910 and 1915. It sure looks newer than that now...

Perhaps I will see if I can get this little shooter, and make it look more like the original.

Thanks!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Just like AJMD429 said the lock up is similar to the Savage 99 or Remington 141. Dealing with the stock issue I do recall reading on one of the gun forums someone was able to modify a Marlin rear stock. Parts are scarce but every so often I see them on Gunbroker, Auction Arms or Ebay. Good Luck! :)

williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Found this:
http://www.gunville.com/products/steven ... -stock-set
I can't find any reviews for them good or bad.
Cabellas has one in .25 Rem I've been thinking about but probably won't buy. It needs wood.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Stevens- ... 300048.uts
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

My neighbor had one when we were kids and I kept it filed away in the back of my empty head. His was really nice and was chambered in .32Rem. I asked him a while back if he still had it but sadly he had traded it off.

It was a neat rifle and pretty well made as I recall but I haven't handled one since I was a teenager.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

williamranks wrote:Found this: stevens-model-425-walnut-repro-stock-set
That's most useful! Thanks!
williamranks wrote:I can't find any reviews for them good or bad.
Neither could I... perhaps the best thing that has been said is that it is based on the Savage 99 action.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Mac I'm sending You a P.M. Thanks.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Got the rifle, dies, box of 200 grain bullets and 20 pieces of brass for $375... new stock will be $145 shipped. Seller says it might need a hammer spring, and I need to make a butt plate for the new stock. Can't wait!

Range report soon!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Excellent!!! :mrgreen: When you get a chance post some pics!

MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

BTW, the Stevens is D&T on top with two holes for a scope mount... seems odd, but anyway a Skinner peep sight could be fitted.

But it's also D&T for a tang sight, which I would prefer by far. When I get it to the shop I can measure and try a Lyman.
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Past discussion of these on this site:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11864&hilit=stevens
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Well, I picked it up and gave it a once over... the young fellow who sold it to me did an excellent job on his first rust blue project. It's a nice, uniform black. There is 0.825" between the centers of the two tang sight screws. It needs a hammer spring and a few screws replaced. Pictures later this evening.

The bore is dark, but the rifling is still strong. The brass that was fired in this gun shows bulging primers... can an old bore become tighter, and increase pressure?

Edit: just found this post responding to the same problem on a Win 94 30-30:
Its low pressure that causes it, not high pressure.

Every primer backs out of every round when it it fired.
Then, pressure stretches or slips the case back tightly against the bolt face and re-seats the primer.

If there isn't enough pressure to stretch the case, or the chamber is too rough to allow the case to slip back, the primer will remain backed out.

Lever-actions have rear locking lugs, and as a result are very stretchy actions.
It's not that unusual to see protruding primers with them.

It may be excess headspace, but that would usually manifest itself in stretch rings inside the fired cases, and in the extreme, broken cases with the head and about a 1/2" of case ejecting, and the rest of the case stuck in the chamber.
Makes more sense that the pressure would be low with an old bore and jacketed bullets. Maybe it won't be a problem with lead. The seller said he had a gunsmith check the headspace, and all was well.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Here are some pictures in a slideshow:

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/MacEnty ... sort=2&o=0

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Nice-looking rifle. I think 450 was a bit over-the-top, but 375 puts it a bit more in the ballpark, with a little left over to spend still for small bits 'n' pieces. I'd probably have succumbed, too, and I hope you have fun with it. Let us know! :)
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Pisgah wrote:...375 puts it a bit more in the ballpark...
That included dies, a box of bullets and some brass. I call it $325 for the rifle.

Here are the replacement stocks and Savage butt plate I picked up today.
Rob Jones Stocks b Paco.jpg
Rob Jones Butt Plate a Paco.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That's a NICE piece of lumber! Goona be a looker when you get'r done!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Yes, it really surprised me... I think this walnut came from the stump end of the log. Mr. Jones said they normally don't do the Stevens 425 stocks with the best wood because they don't get many calls for them, but an employee screwed up. This was the only one he had in stock, so rather than make me wait a few days while they make another, he let me take this one home. I thanked him, and I had a good laugh!

Then, he dug around in a box and came up with a butt plate that has a Savage logo... I was amazed!
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Super nice find. That new wood is gorgeous. I think I'm gonna be jealous. :wink:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

This will be money well spent when you are you done. Super Cool!
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Thanks, guys!

I made a minimum load of 35 Rem this morning. I'll shoot it and post a range report, but it might be a while before I post any pics of the new stock. That's going to be slowly and carefully done. Still, I can hardly wait!
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Worked on the bore today... soaked it in foaming bore cleaner, ran brushes full of Hoppes #9 through it over and over again, swabbed it clean and did it all over. It got results! The bore actually shines a bit when I put a dental mirror in front of the bolt face and point a bright light into the breech.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice find, to be sure........ :)

It might be your camera angle, but IMO it looks like the lever's loop has taken a hit in the past, slightly pinching the middle of the loop.

If so, I might try cold swedging it back to shape via tapping a tapered piece of hardwood into the center of the loop.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

MacEntyre wrote:Got the rifle, dies, box of 200 grain bullets and 20 pieces of brass for $375... new stock will be $145 shipped. Seller says it might need a hammer spring, and I need to make a butt plate for the new stock.
THAT sounds like a TON OF FUN for a very reasonable price... 8)
MacEntyre wrote:Yes, it really surprised me... I think this walnut came from the stump end of the log. Mr. Jones said they normally don't do the Stevens 425 stocks with the best wood because they don't get many calls for them, but an employee screwed up. This was the only one he had in stock, so rather than make me wait a few days while they make another, he let me take this one home. I thanked him, and I had a good laugh! Then, he dug around in a box and came up with a butt plate that has a Savage logo... I was amazed!
THAT sounds like you got an extra half-ton of fun for just a bit more... 8) 8)

I've spent more than that total ($520) on just a case of ammo, or a new/boring gun... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

MacEntyre,
You're rifle is going to be really nice when you get it done. They are a dandy rifle. I also have one and that's what got me to this sight to start with. I hope my reply isn't considered as hijacking your thread, but I have some information that you might find useful. I found out a great deal from the discussion on them back in 2008 as was mentioned.
I bought one a few years ago in really nice shape, but it didn't work. One of the guys on here sent me a patent sheet of it that shows relatively well all the parts in it. That's when I found out that I had a part missing. And the reason it was gone was, IMHO, was a design that didn't go far enough on one particular part and they about all broke.
These guns have an incredibly smooth action, because of the design. A bar attached to the lever pushes against a cocking notch on the hammer before the bolt opens so the bolt can just drop out of lockup, which makes it really east to cock. The problem was, that the bar was almost dead straight in line with the with centerline of the hammer screw and when the lever was activated, if the bar didn't slide up into the cocking notch on the face of the hammer, it would bend it or break it and it was done. I made a new part, modified it and the gun works beautifully.
(I tried to add pictures, but it says my pixels are too big and it won't load. I have no idea how to make them less.) I'd gladly show you what I did but I'm lost on this. Sorry,
Irv
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Pete44ru wrote:It might be your camera angle, but IMO it looks like the lever's loop has taken a hit in the past...
I think you are right. I'll try what you suggested. Thanks!
AJMD429 wrote:THAT sounds like you got an extra half-ton of fun for just a bit more... 8) 8)
It's gonna keep me outa trouble for a good while!
AJMD429 wrote:I've spent more than that total ($520) on just a case of ammo, or a new/boring gun... :oops:
That's right, I have done the same... matter of fact almost every rifle I have cost more'n this'n, and needed none o' my skills to improve 'em!
Daisyman wrote:I hope my reply isn't considered as hijacking your thread, but I have some information that you might find useful.
Not at all, Irv! Thank you very much!

I'm the kinda fella that dives into a mechanism without drawings, so... I've already disassembled and reassembled the gun, just to see how it works. I know the part of which you speak. Perhaps I should remove it and use it as a template to make a spare, just in case.

Thanks again!
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

MacEntyre,
They're kind of a tricky rascal to disassemble and put back together, aren't they? I have never seen an original cocking bar so I'm curious about it. Does it look like its a hardened piece or ??? I really wish we could exchange pictures, but I have no idea how to make a picture with less pixels without taking the gun apart and maybe setting the camera on some other setting???maybe. There's got to be a way somehow. :roll: Any ideas??
Irv
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

John,
Looks nice brother...remember, when you do the wood...use oil.....no high gloss polyurethane. :D -----6
Model A Uzi’s
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Irv: Make an account at Photobucket.com or any similar site and post the full resolution photos there. Then post them here as a link to an image.

Sixgun: I promise... no high gloss varnish!
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

I got the photos to Photobucket but I've never done the link thing......kinda shows my age doesn't it?! ;What now?
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Make sure they are designated as "public." Run a slideshow of your pictures and when you are looking at a full size view of one of them, right click on the image and copy the image location. Then post that here.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

By the way, in the references back to 2008, Peter Zobian, going by vintageautomobilia was compiling a list of all the 425 Stevens rifles. I can't find any reference to him as of late. Does anyone know what happened to him and his list of serial numbers?
Thanks, Irv
Last edited by Daisyman on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Sorry, I don't seem to know how to do it. I've never done any linking. I tried to right click the picture and (copy) came up and I clicked it but I couldn't paste here.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

http://s376.photobucket.com/user/fergusonluvr/library/

I don't know how in the heck I did it but I think it works!!!!!! Mercy me. I'm not sure I could do it again.

There's also a picture of the front sight. I've never seen one like it. Its a Scott that folds down sideways.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Wow! Your rifle looks great! And you have a tang sight! What brand is your tang sight? It looks like a Lyman...

My hammer release strut thingie doesn't have a spring like you put on yours. I'll take mine apart again and post pictures of the parts.
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

By golly that is gorgeous. :mrgreen: Yes I am green with envy. Not really But I am happy for you. A big ole attaboy is deserved.

I have already said no more rifles this year, but if I see one even remotely like yours I will probably put my money down.

hayabusa
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

http://s376.photobucket.com/user/fergus ... g.html?o=5

Since I haven't figured out the (Quote) thing yet, thanks to all for the compliments. I think they are a really slick looking rifle, and I believe the reason this one is so good is because it was broken for who knows how long. I was really happy to get it.

It appears from the research the Peter Zobian did, that there's less than a thousand of them out there. I've never seen or heard of an upgraded model, 430 or 435.

Mac Entyre, you don't have to tear your gun apart just for a picture for me.............ya' might break something and we'd both feel really bad. :shock:

According to Old Gunsights, the peep sight is a Marbles #1 combo, 3rd variation. I'm missing my rear barrel sight, a Stevens #112, but so far I've not been able to find one. Of course, when spring arrives, the search time on the computer goes to nothing........
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Daisyman wrote: Mac Entyre, you don't have to tear your gun apart just for a picture for me.............ya' might break something and we'd both feel really bad. :shock:
It's easy to detail strip and reassemble... anyway, I have it apart for fitting the new stock. It is much easier when you can remove the lower tang altogether.

Most of the parts:

Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Thanks for the photo. It looks like the one I made is pretty close to the original. :D Gotta see some pictures of yours when you get it done. That wood is really going to be nice.

Irv
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nice looking rifle. I like the 35 Remington round, though I haven't used my rifle in that caliber for anything but punching holes in paper. An eye issue is holding me back, but that is for another thread. That bluing job looks good. The person who did it must have followed instructions.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

piller wrote:Nice looking rifle. ...That bluing job looks good. The person who did it must have followed instructions.
Thank you very much! The young feller said he had a lot of help on a local forum. So, the prep was done well, and the carding between blooms was done well, without oily finger prints. It was his first time, and I told him he did a great job... and paid more than I thought I should because of it.

I almost have the new butt stock fitted to the receiver. Will take a lot of shaping with the 8" rasp to work it down, though. There's a lot of extra wood in the piece.

I'm tempted to add Whelan flutes. :)
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Irv, I put the Stevens back together today, so I could test some reloads for feeding. Mine does not feed blunt bullets well, but flat nose bullets have enough taper to make them feed well.

I discovered that if the hammer screw is too tight, the hammer strike will be light. I'm thinking the hammer screw should be installed with blue loctite, since it may not be as snug as you might want it.

I also discovered the way to disassemble and reassemble this rifle, so that it goes together easily. It's an amazingly simple design. I'll post my stepwise instructions soon.

Also, there is a flat spring for my hammer-release-strut-thingie, the part that you made. The spring is attached to the bolt, not the strut. The strut rides on the spring. You can see the flat spring in the picture above. I imagine that before your strut broke, the spring broke.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

oops double post
Last edited by Daisyman on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Ah yea, now I see how it was originally supposed to work. I can't remember if mine had a spring or not. I'll take a look one of these days.

Just an observation here, and no disrespect intended, but am I correct in saying that it appears that tip of your shell lifter has been cracked through the hole and rewelded? Could that be part of the problem with the shell feeding.....maybe a bit out of time so to speak. It looks like a good repair.

By the way, mine's in 32 Remington.

Irv
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Daisyman wrote:...it appears that tip of your shell lifter has been cracked through the hole and rewelded? Could that be part of the problem with the shell feeding...
Good eye... will inspect it closely.
Daisyman wrote:By the way, mine's in 32 Remington.
What a great find. I love 32 cal rifles, although I have none just now.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Irv, you are correct! The carrier has been repaired just as you suggested. I don't know if it has any effect on feeding. The bolt and the carrier match up perfectly at the rearward position, then the bolt jumps over the knuckle at the end of the carrier. It the only thing it does not do smoothly. At the end of the lever stroke, you must use a little force.

Here are my assembly instructions:

Stevens 425 High Power Assembly

Disassemble:

0. Remove tang bolt and butt stock.
1. With 1/2 turn of strut stop screw, remove hammer strut and hammer spring.
2. Remove the screw above lever pivot, on left side of receiver. It holds the bottom plate.
3. Turn rifle over and remove the other bottom plate screw and the hammer pivot screw.
4. With rifle still upside down, open lever, remove lever/bottom plate assembly as one unit.
The hammer decock strut and trigger remain on this assembly. Catch the hammer as it falls out.
5. Slide bolt rearward to stop. Lift out carrier. Lift out bolt guide bar. Lift out bolt.

Note: The Lever/Bottom Plate Assembly includes the trigger, decock strut,
trigger return spring, lever safety with tiny coil spring, and the lever latch.

Assemble:

0. Install bolt guide bar and bolt with extractor facing out the ejection port. The
bolt guide bar slides into a slot inside the receiver. Leave the bolt in the rearmost
position.
1. Install carrier and line it up in hammer pivot screw hole using a drift. Do not
install any screws yet.
2. Install bottom plate/lever assembly with the lever open, using decock strut as a
guide. Be sure to get the foot of the lever into the slot under the bolt.
3. Gently close the lever, then open it again to make sure the bolt moves in both
directions as it should. Install the forward bottom plate screw finger tight.
4. With the bolt almost closed, insert the hammer in the down position and align
the carrier and the hammer with a drift, looking through the hammer pivot screw
hole. Do not over tighten the hammer screw, or the hammer strike may be light.
Use blue loctite.
5. Tighten the bottom plate screw and install the other bottom plate screw, above
the lever pivot on the left side of the receiver.
6. Install the hammer strut and hammer spring carefully. This is best done with a
slim screwdriver in the strut stop slot, compressing the spring and pushing the
stop over the stop screw.
7. Install the butt stock and tang bolt.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Thanks a lot for the instructions. As you can see by my picture dates, I worked on mine back in 2010, so the procedure is a little fuzzy in the memory.........along with everything else! :lol: As for your shell lifter, if it was not put back on at the exact same vertical height, would that make the hard closing you were referring to if the forward end of the lifter hits first at the front of the receiver?

I am home for just a few minutes, so don't have time to look at mine for comparison. My better half went to the hospital Tue. evening and was diagnosed today with pancreitis (sp)?. Been up there pretty much all the time since.

Irv
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Daisyman wrote:As for your shell lifter, if it was not put back on at the same vertical height, would that make the hard closing you were referring to if the forward end of the lifter hits first at the front of the receiver?
I don't think that is what is happening... the hole appears to be original, and the break occurred at one edge of the hole. Only when you run the lever weakly, it sometimes doesn't lift at the end of the down stroke. If you tap it with your hand, or back up the lever a little and go again, it will then lift. It doesn't happen unless you are weak at the end of the down stroke. I polished the points where the bolt and the carrier meet... might keep polishing a bit more.
Daisyman wrote:My better half went to the hospital Tue. evening and was diagnosed today with pancreitis (sp)?. Been up there pretty much all the time since.
Prayers sent.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Prayers up for Your Wife Daisyman. and not to steal the thread but found another 425 on Gun broker.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =472983475