Savage 42, your thoughts?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Savage 42, your thoughts?

Post by gamekeeper »

I used to have a great little Savage 24 until I stupidly sold it :oops: ,now I see Savage have come up with a redesigned O/U rifle/shotgun combo called the model 42. It is made of plastic, aluminum and steel.
According to most reviews I have read, it is ugly, inaccurate and has bad sights and trigger.
The 20" .410 barrel is cylinder choke the 20" rifle barrel comes in either .22lr or .22mag, now I could use a lightweight combo for woods walking but I would like to hear from someone who has actually used or even held a Savage 42, is it even worth considering? Is this gun is as bad as some reviewers claim? If so will Savage Arms correct any design faults or will any aftermarket accessories be made for it?
Any views and comments welcome.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Savage 42, your thoughts?

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I have fondled a few of them, they are not the best looking, but have a functional, utility type of character. Lightweight and came up to my shoulder and sights on what i was looking at. I would not buy one unless it was under $150 or so. Jeff Quinn has a write up on them in gunblast.com. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Even though it's a Chiappa, I think I'd rather go with their Double Badger, available in either .22LR or .22WMR over .410:

http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogspot. ... ng-22.html

Last edited by Pete44ru on Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I looked at one at a local gun dealer, did not look like much, I have heard good things about the Chipia Double Badger, but have not had my hands on one.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I have the Chiappa Double Badger, and would highly recommend it. I have used Savage 24s in both 410/22 and 20/22. For what it will cost to buy a used Savage 24 nowadays, you could buy two Double Badgers. Mine is walnut and blued steel..no plastic to be found. Several grouse and a few snowshoe wabbits would also testify to its effectiveness, but sadly, they can't. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I think they're a great $125-$175 rifle. The problem is they want $400

They remind me of a Kel-Tech product (don't know if that means much to you in the UK) :D , but not quality, not something you'd expect to still be working to hand down to your children.

I think they'd be fine for an emergency tool, left in car, truck, boat, airplane or cabin, but they cost too much for that job as well. Light and flat is probably the Savage's best feature.

I wasn't real impressed with the Chiappa's I saw at the Shot Show a few years back, but it looks as if they may have improved them some. They were kind of crude in many ways, but I'd probably rather have one than the 42. Especially if it was something I was going to shoot. The Savage is full of flimsy plastic and sheet metal bits that won't take much abuse.
Slow is just slow.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I ve read good reviews on the Baikal 22/410, might be worth a look
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Best gift I probably ever gave 44MagHunter was a Savage 410/22 LR probably made in the 1940's. That has the little dinky open 'notch' sights, but he can pick off the 4" gong at 100 yards fairly easily with it.

Were they really THAT hard to make and so impossible to make cost-effectively nowadays...??? After all, they're just a breakopen 'over and under' of sorts... :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks for all the replies, I agree about the Chiappa Double Badger being a better gun, in fact it is very similar to my Marocchi O/U .410. The only reasons I was interested in the Savage 42 was it looked like it would not mind getting soaking wet and it's a lot lighter to carry I also like the hammer. Savage do seem to have missed the boat with the design AND THE PRICE, it is way over priced for what it is, especially over here in the UK $1013 :shock: , and fiber optic sights would have been a nice option too, infact at that price I would expect night sights :lol:
I may write to Savage Arms and ask them what they were thinking when they brought out the model 42, a bit of customer research may have helped them design a better and more successful combination gun.
Occasionally the old model 24s come up for sale over here, I will have to keep my eyes open for a decent one or try to get my hands on a Double Badger, sadly Savage Arms have lost a sale and I have bought six Savage/Stevens guns in the past.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've handled both the 42 and the Badger. I too let a 24 get away. Actually I gave it to a cousin when I went into the service. I'll just keep checking the used gun racks and sooner or later one will show up.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad