Browning 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Browning 71

Post by big bear »

Took my Browning 71 carbine to gunsmith. The trigger pull was very poor. After shooting my old Winchester 71, I got the Browning out to try the same load combinations. Trigger was so heavy I thought it was broke. He lighted pull, nice trigger now but now it won't fire. Firing pin dimples primer but won't fire cartridge. Any suggestions?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning 71

Post by BigSky56 »

My guess would be the hammer spring was lightened to much. danny
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Danny's suggestion is most likely, but it could also be a combination of that and the inertia firing pin. I had a B71 that would only fire if I cycled the action. If the hammer was let down, then cocked and the trigger pulled, it would not fire. The inertia firing pin was slightly bowed. I straightened it out and it worked like a champ after that.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IDK if your Browning has a rebounding hammer (no half-cock notch), but if it does, I would remove the buttstock to access the MS strut, remove it, and slightly shorten the lower/rebound leg at the forward end of the strut.

(the same company, Miroku, made your Browning 71, also made my M-86, which had a rebounding hammer)

Sometimes, on some rebounding hammer rifles, on overly-long rebound strut will act on the hammer too soon, causing light strikes.

Here's a picture tutorial, if you need it: http://reloadingandlevergunning.blogspo ... -mods.html

jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

The Win/Miroku has a rebounding hammer, the Browning/Miroku does not. The gunsmith lightened the hammer spring too much. Contact wither Browning or Numrich and get a replacement spring. FYI, you can send a few easy to remove parts out of your gun to Lee Shaver Gunsmithing and for around $35 he will return those parts and your gun will have a 1.5lb trigger. He will provide simple instructions on how to remove those parts and it doesn't require taking the entire gun apart. I'm afraid at this time you'll have to send him the gun and replacement hammer spring. Give him a call and discuss this with him. I've had him to my guns and the results were outstanding.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Don't frequent that "smith" no more :!: :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

tman wrote:Don't frequent that "smith" no more :!: :wink:
Exactly my thoughts. Things like this can be expected from a shade tree gunsmith, but not a real gunsmith.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Gunsmith is a real gunsmith, he says he did nothing that would affect hammer fall , nor did he alter hammer spring, taking it back today, I'll let you know final solution.Thanks for the tips! Bear season starts April 1st and I sure wanted to try the carbine out this year.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Be careful. Whatever he did, is why your gun don't shoot. It shot before you took it there? Or, am I reading this wrong. Anyway, after "whatever" He did do, The smith should made sure the gun functioned correctly, especially when messing with the trigger pull. It's not only a functional concern but, more importantly ,one of safety. Hope he is able to fix your gun. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I has a similar experience when my Miroku/Winchester 1886 45-90 was new.
The trigger pull measured 11+ pounds with my Lyman gauge.
A friend of mine smoothed the action and lightened the trigger pull for me. After that there was an occasional fail to fire resulting in a dimpled primer.
I took it back to him and he changed the spring until it fired reliably AND was still at 4 pounds.
Now it fires fine and is so smooth that I just have to think "shoot now" and it does! :)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Problem solved.There is evidently a difference in trigger assembly between Winchester 71 and Browning. he was familiar with the firstand not the Browning and reassembed rifle that way. The hammer spring guide rod and front guide are installed a bit differently in the 2 rifles evidently. I'll see it when I go pick the rifle up in a few days. It works quite nicely now ( I gave him some ammo to test with). My smith is in his 70's and can fabricate most any part I've ever needed. He is a good guy,a rare scholar and a gentleman. Now I'll see if I can shoot a big bear to show you guys next month. Thanks for the tips!
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Browning 71, wow!

Post by big bear »

Wow, he got it to work and does it work!

After I adjusted the sight I shot a 3 shot under 1" group at 100yds with one of my favorite loads. The trick? I installed a FastfireII dot sight on my Browning 71 ( used the Turnbull base, so no extra holes in rifle. I have never used a dot sight before but this looks like the cat's pajamas out to 200 yds or so which is all I want out of my 348Win carbine,happy camper, indeed. :D
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Where is/are the obligatory photograph/s? :evil: :?: :?: :?:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle