Glock recoil questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Glock recoil questions

Post by J Miller »

I have fired a bunch of 1911s in 45, one in 9mm.
Browning Hi-Power in 9 mm
Glocks in 9 mm and 40 S&W

And maybe some others I've forgotten about.

So I'm not ( or wasn't ) overly recoil sensitive with autos.

I don't find the 1911a1s to have much recoil at all. The various 9 mms are even easier to shoot.

What my question is, is how does the .45 ACP Glocks compare to the 9mm and 40S&W Glocks in the recoil dept?

Edited to add: I sure didn't word this question very well, did I?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Glock recoil questions

Post by Lassiter »

When our department switched from 3rd generation Glock 40 S&W to the 4th generation Glocks 45 acp, everyone mentioned how much less felt recoil the 45s had. To me the 45s are much easier to shoot well with than the 40 S&Ws. Just my opinion.............. I've never tried the 9mm Glocks, though.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My G30s "seems" to recoil about the same as a full sized 1911. The grip has less edges on the Glock, so maybe it's perceived as less. Daughter won't shoot the 1911, will shoot the G30S....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I know you know there are two components of recoil; velocity and force. Each one is perceived differently by different shooters.

My G21 is very pleasant to shoot. I haven't shot my 1911 is so long I can't compare. I remember the recoil on my S&W M&P 40 to be sharp, but not unpleasant. The ergonomic grip probably had a lot to do with that.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote:I know you know there are two components of recoil; velocity and force. Each one is perceived differently by different shooters.

My G21 is very pleasant to shoot. I haven't shot my 1911 is so long I can't compare. I remember the recoil on my S&W M&P 40 to be sharp, but not unpleasant. The ergonomic grip probably had a lot to do with that.
My LCP is by far the most miserable Pelosi to shoot ever.....two mags draws blood on my trigger finger.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Blaine,

I got into trouble about posting my opinion of the Ruger LCP (Little Crappy Pistol) over on the Ruger Forum. Seams it's some kind of holly grail to those folks. It and it's revolver sibling are to me the most hideous looking pistols of the recent plastic guns. I'd list them as a last ditch SD throw away gun.

My original question, poorly worded, was basically a comparison of felt recoil between similar Glocks in the three common calibers. I realize different people feel recoil differently, so different opinions is what I was after.
I didn't mean to compare Glocks to 1911s or Hi-Powers, just Glocks to Glocks.

The only pistol that actually drew blood on me was an unaltered early 1911 with the small grip safety and original long spur hammer. Those two pieces got changed out post haste.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Having shot both 1911's in 45acp and 9mm, and Glocks in 45acp and 9mm, I think there is less recoil difference felt between the Glocks than the 1911's. My major issue with the Gen 1 and 2 Glock 21's is the frame is too large for me to properly grip. The Gen 3 SF frames took care of that. Now if someone wants to give me 5,000rds of 45acp I'll go buy one. :lol:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The .40 S&W seems to have a more snappy recoil than the .45.

I was never much of a fan of the 9mm but after I got a Glock m19 I found that it reminded me of a S&W m 52 I shot many years ago. Minimal recoil and every round went right where I wanted it to.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rusty wrote:The .40 S&W seems to have a more snappy recoil than the .45.

I was never much of a fan of the 9mm but after I got a Glock m19 I found that it reminded me of a S&W m 52 I shot many years ago. Minimal recoil and every round went right where I wanted it to.
The Glock 40 I fired was ported, so that makes for a poor comparison.
So far all the Glocks I've fired shot to point of aim, or so close it wasn't worth talking about.

Joe
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

vancelw wrote:I know you know there are two components of recoil; velocity and force. Each one is perceived differently by different shooters.
Also there is the 'torque' that is affected by bore axis relative to grip.
So you have the overall energy (same since both 45 ACP if using same loads), but the guns would absorb different amounts internally (slide movement), torque the hand differently, and have different velocities of recoil due to any difference in weight.

I think one of the big reasons guns like Glocks seem to have less recoil is that the grip allows many parts of the hand to have uniform and firm contact with the gun, vs. the rather squared-off grip of the typical 1911 unavoidably putting different pressures on some of the hand and not others.

As an aside, the 'double-stack' 1911's feel WAY more comfortable to shoot to me than the single-stacks, again I think because there are more, and more uniform, points of contact with my hand.

Never shot Glocks much but their grips are about as ergonomic as it gets. I'd recommend one for a newbie or someone sensitive to recoil long before a traditional 1911.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

AJMD429 wrote:
Also there is the 'torque' that is affected by bore axis relative to grip.

Never shot Glocks much but their grips are about as ergonomic as it gets. I'd recommend one for a newbie or someone sensitive to recoil long before a traditional 1911.
Right, but the torque is guns specific, not caliber specific. I have 5 Glocks and like them pretty well, but would not describe the grips as being ergonomic. Again, everyone's hands and preferences are different. I like the M&P Semi-auto series grip much better, but chose to stay with Glock for the trigger (and at that earlier time, better holster selection)

Glocks are strange in that, I shoot as well or better with my G26 than my 19 and the 19 better than the 17. Logic tells you that the shorter sight radius should be inherently less accurate, but they're not.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've shot 9mm (g-19) and 45 Glocks. I took some ladies shooting, two high school girls and their mom, they all liked the 45 (full size 45). The SF (short frame) guns feel better in the hand, not so much like a 2x4 in size. Both the 19 and 21 seem very pleasant to shoot for me, recoil wise.

Another forum I frequent, I see many comments about the 40's being the least pleasant glocks to shoot for many, especially the mid size model 23. They are by no means new or inexperienced shooters, many being long time LE and/or trainers. I see many say they simply shoot the 9's or other calibers better than they can the 40's, as far as timed drills and tests, as well as perceived feel when shooting.

I've messed with 1911's for a long time, since the late 70's. The glock 19 feels much b etter in the hand to me. Other models not as nice, but the SF model 21's feel good.

I resisted glocks for many years, partly because of their collosal ugliness. Once I started messing with one (bought it for the ex for a car gun for going to town), I enjoyed shooting it and was surprised at how well I could shoot it on the 300 yard plate. With a bad back, its much nicer to carry than a full size steel frame gun, holds 3 x the ammo as a j frame smith and is much easier to shoot well. I dont think the sun rises and sets on glocks, but they are pretty good guns, reliability and shootability wise.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I don't think the sun rises and sets on Golcks...
It's always Glock o'clock.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sorry, I can't address recoil on a Glock.

But, the first 'handgun' I ever owned was a .308 bolt action hunting pistol with a 12" barrel.

So, near as I can tell, a 1911A1 has no felt recoil.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote:Blaine,

I got into trouble about posting my opinion of the Ruger LCP (Little Crappy Pistol) over on the Ruger Forum. Seams it's some kind of holly grail to those folks. It and it's revolver sibling are to me the most hideous looking pistols of the recent plastic guns. I'd list them as a last ditch SD throw away gun.

My original question, poorly worded, was basically a comparison of felt recoil between similar Glocks in the three common calibers. I realize different people feel recoil differently, so different opinions is what I was after.
I didn't mean to compare Glocks to 1911s or Hi-Powers, just Glocks to Glocks.

The only pistol that actually drew blood on me was an unaltered early 1911 with the small grip safety and original long spur hammer. Those two pieces got changed out post haste.

Joe
Nah, it's absolutely reliable, and it easily goes everywhere. When I practice, I try to remember to put a little tape on that spot on my finger.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

The Glock is an interesting pistol Joe.

I have a much higher tolerance of pistol recoil than I do for rifle. American Derringers in 45 ACP don't bother me (260 @ 950 fps). I've owned Glocks in 9, 40, 45 ACP and 45 GAP.

The biggest problem for turned out to be the stepped triggers that the ATF forced Glock into installing on their compact/sub compact guns. I change all of mine out to a smooth trigger.

After doing the trigger swap, then the guns are all on the same page, so to speak. Except for frame size and pistol weight. In weight they rank 9, 40, GAP & ACP.

And then there's ammo.

In everything but the 9 I shoot standard loads, the 9 gets +P+s. So between the four the 9 is actually the 'snappiest', if there is such a word as it's the fastest by far.

The ACP is the hardest for me to handle, but not because of it's recoil. It's size. It's just too fat for my hands and reaching that trigger is tough.

I find the other three rank like this: 9, GAP and then 40 as far as recoil goes. But I'm not sure I could tell in a blind taste test the difference between the GAP and the 40. The 9, sure. I shoot 180/1000 in the 40 and 205/915 in the GAP so they are very similar. The 9 is quicker and lighter in recoil. They're 115/1325.

The 357 SIG is interesting. It's recoil is fast, very fast. Weight wise it seems maybe a bit heavier than the 40/45, maybe not. Close.

Is this kinda what you were looking for? :)

Cat
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FWiedner wrote:Sorry, I can't address recoil on a Glock.

But, the first 'handgun' I ever owned was a .308 bolt action hunting pistol with a 12" barrel.

So, near as I can tell, a 1911A1 has no felt recoil.

:)
Kinds same for me.
  • I'd fired a 1911 when I was 9 or 10 years old and didn't like it, but didn't get a handgun until age 15 or so...

My first handgun at age 15 or so was a Ruger 22 LR in Mark-I format (no recoil to speak of)

My second handgun at age 17 or so was a Ruger Super Blackhawk and a box of factory 240-grain loads with it... :shock:
Interesting the OP really was wondering about recoil comparisons BETWEEN Glocks vs. against other handguns. That's the question I started thinking of (and posted in another thread) after reading his question.

Fascinating topic.

I think I'll take a break from doing taxes, and go try a rapid-drill with my 9mm Taurus... 8)

(I wonder if it would be wrong to make a homemade target Intended for Regular Sights, and label it "IRS"... :twisted: )
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

AJMD429 wrote:
Interesting the OP really was wondering about recoil comparisons BETWEEN Glocks vs. against other handguns. That's the question I started thinking of (and posted in another thread) after reading his question.

Instead of thread drift...is that thread meld....or cross-thread?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Cat,
Yes, pretty much, thanks.

AJMD,
The first full sized big bore revolver I ever fired was a S$W Mdl .... ah 'er .... whatever the 41 Mags were, with a 6.5" barrel. The owner told me the ammo was the reduced loads but I think he lied to me. To this day I still won't own any S&W 41 or 44 mag revolver. I can shoot 'em if they have rubber grippy - stock - handles, but not with wood grips.

vancelw,
It's rare for any thread to remain on topic for more than half a page around here. No biggie, we just chat like any other bunch of folks.

AJMD,
You could make a generic target with all the alphabet agncys letters on it, then they couldn't say you were singling them out ... :twisted:

Joe
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:To this day I still won't own any S&W 41 or 44 mag revolver. I can shoot 'em if they have rubber grippy - stock - handles, but not with wood grips.
Before you give up on 'em, be sure you've tried a few Single Actions with Bisley Grips... makes a huge difference...!

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:
J Miller wrote:To this day I still won't own any S&W 41 or 44 mag revolver. I can shoot 'em if they have rubber grippy - stock - handles, but not with wood grips.
Before you give up on 'em, be sure you've tried a few Single Actions with Bisley Grips... makes a huge difference...!
Unbelievable difference.

When I lived in Anchorage, a coworker & I both had Casulls that we took to the bush with us. Same barrel length, but mine had the rosewood bisleys and his had the paychmayers.

He could NOT shoot my handloads in his gun without injuring himself, but could shoot them out of mine just fine. The rubber grips totally ruined the ergonomics and recoil profile of his gun... and would rip the skin off your palm ta boot.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I and many of my LE brethren have transitioned from the .40S&W to either the 9mm or the .45ACP. I owned and carried a Glock 30SF for about a year, great shooter, easy recoil, very accurate, didn't fit my hand as well as I would have liked so I switched to all-9mm-all-day, presently carrying a Glock 19 Gen4 and an M&P Shield (BUG).

The .40S&W has a very fast pressure spike that creates it's snappiness (which many find disconcerting), it also breaks parts, wears Glocks out quicker than a 9mm. I personally am so done with the .40, carried and qualified with it for over eight years--J MILLER get either a Glock 30SF or a Glock 30S in .45ACP and you will be well armed and well protected... :)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

1892 wrote:I and many of my LE brethren have transitioned from the .40S&W to either the 9mm or the .45ACP. I owned and carried a Glock 30SF for about a year, great shooter, easy recoil, very accurate, didn't fit my hand as well as I would have liked so I switched to all-9mm-all-day, presently carrying a Glock 19 Gen4 and an M&P Shield (BUG).

The .40S&W has a very fast pressure spike that creates it's snappiness (which many find disconcerting), it also breaks parts, wears Glocks out quicker than a 9mm. I personally am so done with the .40, carried and qualified with it for over eight years--J MILLER get either a Glock 30SF or a Glock 30S in .45ACP and you will be well armed and well protected... :)
Standard pressure .45acp is sort of quiet, and does not recoil much. If I have to shoot inside the house, it's my choice in order to save what little hearing I have left. I do not recommend shooting outside without protection but I used to use the G36 for grouse with fmj and it does not make my ears ring.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

The .40 has to operate at very high pressure, nearly over-pressure, trying to keep up with its daddy the 10mm. The recoil from a .40 seemed much more snappy than full house 10mm. I seriously can barely tell the difference in recoil between a G17, G21 and G20 (9mm, .45acp and 10mm respectively), but the G22 I shot was noticeably sharper and had more muzzle flip.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30