22 WMR aint no deer rifle but!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

22 WMR aint no deer rifle but!

Post by Nath »

When one bumps into a wounded deer one has to do ones best to end it!

The poor fallow doe was bedded down when I bumped her up. I let her stagger off and then headed her off.
I found her quickly with the aid of a fox circling her!
I had no choice but to try and end her misery. She was sixty yards or so and shot one to the front neck did little. It did not smash bone! It turned south and followed the vertebrae down. She did turn her head away and gave me a shot to the rear head which was instant!
All the years of shooting quickly and off hand paid off again!

22WMR is proving to be a bit of an all rounder in a pinch!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 22 WMR aint no deer rifle but!

Post by Pete44ru »

Good on you, Nath !

I like the .22WMR, too !

In one of the states where I hunt (Maine), it's legal for deer, during the November rifle season.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Good on you, Nath !

I like the .22WMR, too !

In one of the states where I hunt (Maine), it's legal for deer, during the November rifle season.

That is interesting.
I guess a through the ribs shot will do it with some followup.

Ross Seigfried use to use one in Africa for camp meat. I recalled him saying he took zebra with one!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Glad you found that deer, Nath, and were able to end its misery. Looks like you will get a decent amount of meat of it. It appears that Tia is enjoying herself.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Good job. Reckon she was hit by a car? I have finished a couple over the years that had been hit.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Good that you were able to take care of the doe and have some good meat too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote:Good on you, Nath !
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Good shooting Nath! I have taken 2 deer with the 22 WMR 25 years ago when we had free land owner tags. Both instant drops, one through the head from the side and one from the rear at 90 yards. Also I had a friend that finished a buck his nephew shot with the 12 ga slug breaking its leg close to the body.( the boy shot, saw the deer fall and ran to get his uncle), one shot with a Ruger handgun in 22WMR at 40 yards through the lungs and he went about 50 yards and dropped.
It is a very useful round when pointed well, and it appears you are pointing it very well. My only complaint is I can't find any 40 gr hollow points or full metal jacket here. I see plenty of 33 gr but they are light for coyotes.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Good shooting Nath, 22 mag is my favorite cartridge for predators and I have shot more than one deer as rimfires are legal for all game here including mtn grouse. danny
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Excellent shooting! By the looks of your rifle, I am guessing it is a Brno but cannot say for sure? The safety is a little Winchester 70esque in appearance.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

KirkD wrote:Glad you found that deer, Nath, and were able to end its misery. Looks like you will get a decent amount of meat of it. It appears that Tia is enjoying herself.
:lol: Tia looked like a black and white socca ball all night. Totally pigged out :lol:
wolfdog wrote:Good job. Reckon she was hit by a car? I have finished a couple over the years that had been hit.
I doubt it was a car, not many about there!
EdinCT wrote:Good shooting Nath! I have taken 2 deer with the 22 WMR 25 years ago when we had free land owner tags. Both instant drops, one through the head from the side and one from the rear at 90 yards. Also I had a friend that finished a buck his nephew shot with the 12 ga slug breaking its leg close to the body.( the boy shot, saw the deer fall and ran to get his uncle), one shot with a Ruger handgun in 22WMR at 40 yards through the lungs and he went about 50 yards and dropped.
It is a very useful round when pointed well, and it appears you are pointing it very well. My only complaint is I can't find any 40 gr hollow points or full metal jacket here. I see plenty of 33 gr but they are light for coyotes.
Cool, yes, if it don't say 40grn on the box I not interested!
kaschi wrote:Excellent shooting! By the looks of your rifle, I am guessing it is a Brno but cannot say for sure? The safety is a little Winchester 70esque in appearance.
Close, a CZ American model. :)

Thanks gents, better let the dog out :|

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The .22 mag kills far better than it's size would suggest. If you're looking for 40 grain ammo try www.gunbot.com
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I forgot... Good job Nath.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Rusty wrote:I forgot... Good job Nath.
Thanks Rusty.
Verses 10 &11 are good too :wink:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

KirkD wrote:Glad you found that deer, Nath, and were able to end its misery. Looks like you will get a decent amount of meat of it. It appears that Tia is enjoying herself.
+ 1 well done Nath...... :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good job Nath! I've hunted all my life but can't stand to see an animal wounded or struggling. In these parts it surely means a cruel and nasty death.
Saw what was left of a whitetail going into camp on Friday. Coyotes dragged it down and ate it alive after it starved through half the winter in 4 and a half feet of snow.

Nature's a mother.

I've known a few guys that have used the .22mag on deer with good results when in a picked spot from a stand.
Kudos for your quick reactive shot. It pays to know your rifle.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Is that CZ American a 452 or 453? I've got a 453 in .17HMR. With the set trigger it is literally a tack-driver. The other morning I took 3 shots at prairie dogs (75-125 yeds); 3 dead dogs--they didn't even move. As soon as I began to shoot the bald eagles were in the air. They've been feeding on a dead coyote in our valley and now have some p.d.s for breakfast.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Interesting that a hunter will put a wounded animal down, and the pita types would just let it wander off and die a very slow and painful death.

Nath you the man.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bad news men. The feller I gave the good rear leg to just dug a piece of bullet jacket out of!
It had been shot!
I feel annoyed!
I know it can go wrong. May be poachers!

:(
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

You did a good thing Nath. I just hope the law there sees it the same way. I've dispatched a couple of cripples with a 22 LR. These had been wounded with arrows.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey Nath, you did the right thing. I still struggle with some of the ethics of what some people do when hunting, like taking wild shots at game or using dogs and knives to hunt pigs. I sure respect the latter's bravery, but I have always felt that the animal deserves an instant humane kill, and that the meat will taste so much the sweeter if there is not a prolonged chase and it is properly gutted, urinary tract removed, de-boned and cooled right away. I have a friend here in Ukiah who is one of the butchers at our local Lucky's. He also hunts and recently gave me some venison. It was to die for. He knows how to hunt, but also how to prepare the meat so it is not gamey. To me, its about a humane kill and some gooood meat.

Regards Buddy. Working on a 131 S&S for the Dyna BTW. Already have the short block.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks gents.

Tut, what is it you are doing to the dyna?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

All new engine with S&S parts, 131 cubic inches, 150+ HP, 140 TQ as an estimate. Too complicated to explain yet. Probably 15K invested by time I'm done. In the motorcycle poor house the next few months but worth it.

Once in a life time deal. Wife approval factor of -100 but don't have that particular worry. :lol:

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

CowboyTutt wrote:All new engine with S&S parts, 131 cubic inches, 150+ HP, 140 TQ as an estimate. Too complicated to explain yet. Probably 15K invested by time I'm done. In the motorcycle poor house the next few months but worth it.

Once in a life time deal. Wife approval factor of -100 but don't have that particular worry. :lol:

-Tutt
:shock: :shock: I can't imagine my Dyna with 50% more HP.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

ThoughtCowboyTutt"]All new engine with S&S parts, 131 cubic inches, 150+ HP, 140 TQ as an estimate. Too complicated to explain yet. Probably 15K invested by time I'm done. In the motorcycle poor house the next few months but worth it.

-Tutt[/quote]
Thought that's what you meant. Fit some good pads!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!