Dippn' water

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Dippn' water

Post by mack »

Well, water line to the barn is frozen, dippin' water from from tubs tonight for 7 ponies. Haven't seen this since the winter of '76-'77. I have folks coming into my repair shop trying to trade for snow blower repairs.... I passed on a SIG Mosquito .22, told him to bring something in a lever gun.... he said he had a '92 Winchester .38 rnd. bbl rifle, hope he shows up this week! It won't help the horses, but it may help my cabin fever!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: Dippn' water

Post by Paladin »

Good luck on the trades, Yes the weather has been a bit colder than it has in a while. Haven't had to carry water to the animals since Ohio, it seemed a long 200 yards at night, and it was 76.
It is not the critic who counts
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Good luck with the trades. Chesapeake bay is frozen over from Annapolis north. First I have seen this since winter of 77. Water line to barn here is frozen also. Carrying water to barn and have had the heated buckets going for 2 months. Darn groundhog said it was going to be a long winter. -4 here in south central Pa. Without wind chill which is suppose to get to -25 to -30 Thursday and Friday. Not as cold as many of you see but cold enough for my tastes.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Been out ice fishing every other day this week. Hope the weather continues.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Mack's post on cold weather reminded me to post on a new book that reminds us that the sun controls the climate, not man:

Dark Winter by Casey:

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/dark-wi ... id/607672/
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

I would think you would have enough snow on the ground to insulate any pipe reasonably buried for the climate of the region. Our big scare for frozen pipes came last year when we got lots of very cold weather long before we had appreciable snow cover. The frost was very deep. Well below 6 ft in many areas. Our pipe to the barn is down about 7 ft, and it was enough. Plus it feeds a small automatic waterer that the horses uses frequently so there is frequent low-flow levels in the pipe and I imagine that helped a lot.
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

BrentD wrote:I would think you would have enough snow on the ground to insulate any pipe reasonably buried for the climate of the region. Our big scare for frozen pipes came last year when we got lots of very cold weather long before we had appreciable snow cover. The frost was very deep. Well below 6 ft in many areas. Our pipe to the barn is down about 7 ft, and it was enough. Plus it feeds a small automatic waterer that the horses uses frequently so there is frequent low-flow levels in the pipe and I imagine that helped a lot.
It's an insulated pipe sitting on ledge 4-5 feet deep. As to the snow, in the open it goes from 15ft drifts to bare ground. In the woods we have about 5 ft on the ground.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

mack wrote:
BrentD wrote:I would think you would have enough snow on the ground to insulate any pipe reasonably buried for the climate of the region. Our big scare for frozen pipes came last year when we got lots of very cold weather long before we had appreciable snow cover. The frost was very deep. Well below 6 ft in many areas. Our pipe to the barn is down about 7 ft, and it was enough. Plus it feeds a small automatic waterer that the horses uses frequently so there is frequent low-flow levels in the pipe and I imagine that helped a lot.
It's an insulated pipe sitting on ledge 4-5 feet deep. As to the snow, in the open it goes from 15ft drifts to bare ground. In the woods we have about 5 ft on the ground.
sounds like a pretty tough winter for you guys. Cold is here, but we have had inordinate warmth as well. A very up and down sort of year it seems. we have a new horse that is an Icelandic. I've never seen such a furry thing and he is lovin' -20f and snow like a swimsuit model likes 85F and sand beaches.

Well, good luck! It wont' be that long before it breaks. But I know we have at least a couple more weeks to tough it out.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

30th Anniversary gift to wife was renting a trencher and installing five 'yard hydrants' with buried water supply.

Other than her 25th anniversary gift (a new wheelbarrow and barn-radio) that was the best thing I've given her in 35 years... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

You wife sounds a lot like mine.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Several things we've exerienced with well/water lines is anytime they go under a driveway or road the frost line goes deeper than normal. He we go 10 feet min and 12 if the driveway goes over it. Any less than that it needs to be heated. Another thing drives the frost line deeper is warm thaw then severe cold. Hope you get things thawed out.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I thought this tread was going to be about what to do with the goo in the cup after the Copenhagen.

:oops:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Water is back on! Steamed the line out, the freeze was about 40 feet from the barn, just under the edge of the access road. Had a nice day today, it almost touched 30 degrees, and the sun was warm. Moved some wood up to the house. More snow tonight they are saying, down to 10 right now.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Spent 4 hrs today pushing snow with the tractor, then hauled hay to fill the pasture feeders,stopped by the wood shed and filled the bucket and hauled to garage, then filled the bucket with water and added some to the pasture drinker's, topped the tractor fuel tank off and put tractor back in shed, it was sunny and a balmy 34* today, its snowing again this evening, if I am lucky I won't have to go outside again before Sunday.

--------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You know what they say....."make Winchesters while the sun shines". :D ---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Don't think it ever reached the freezing point today. For SC, that is darn cold! I'm stuck in bed with a flu or a sinus infection. Glad to be in where it is warm.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

mack wrote:.... he said he had a '92 Winchester .38 rnd. bbl rifle, hope he shows up this week! It won't help the horses, but it may help my cabin fever!
Sounds like an original Model 1892 and in one of my favourite calibers!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

And I'm in Kodiak working in a t-shirt.
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Well, no show on the guy with the '92 this week. May have been a BS story, or maybe he figured it was a $10,000 piece. I'm sort of disappointed, thinking I should have moved on the Mosquito, for trading fodder if nothing else. Any one had any experience with the SIGs? They seem to be nice little pieces, but .22 semis just don't light my fire.
On the other front, it is snowing again, or should I say still.
One of the horses, my buddies 15 yr old Paint gelding, got wrapped up in the e fence today. The top wire/tape, which is now about hock level, got wrapped about both forelegs. This old boy must have stood for two hours that way, never panicked or freaked, just stood and waited for someone to free him. now this is a charged fence, although pretty well shorted by snow, it would still be uncomfortable to put your hand on. That horse just moved up a notch or two in my assessment!
I got laughed at when I set that top wire at 4 ft!
Well the snow is just snow, be gone by July 4th, the dang cold is getting to me, -18 this AM at 5:30. We have been been below 0 just about every morning this year.
This has been the worst winter for the arthritis I've ever had, must be the all the storms moving through. My Doc told me to stop dipping the horses 'bute and take the tramadol (sp?) and some other thing she prescribed me.
OK, I've got cabin fever, I never post like this. Sorry, but thanks for listening!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Reckon if the doc hurt like you do she might be glad to take some bute I know a few down here that use it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15