Beretta Storm Carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Beretta Storm Carbine

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Do any of you have any experience with one? I'm thinking about dumping my Mini 14 and picking up one in .45 ACP. It would be primarily for home defense and I would likely add a red dot and a light, no further mods.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Beretta Storm Carbine

Post by jhrosier »

I would like to have one but the $800-$900 price tag stops me.

The High Point carbines seem to enjoy favorable reviews and are priced at or below $300 locally.

Jack
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

my brother has one with a laser sight. it's scary accurate at indoor range distances.

the problem is that, as far as we know, it only uses factory 8 round magazines. if that's wrong he would like to know about it.

those magazines aren't compatable or exchangeable with any other magazine that we know of. you're stuck with incompatible low capacity magazines . . . as far as we know, which isn't much. he bought it because he likes the star wars meme.

Grizz
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Theyr're fun little guns, I've played with a number of the 9mm's. The price is what always kept me away from buying one. I thought I had a deal worked out on one for a lot less but it never came through, and now it's too late to get one here legally.

High Points are like modern day grease guns, I've seen them in pretty rough shape chugging along. HOWEVER the firing pins break on them, apparently not an uncommon thing. I first learned about that watching a friend in a pistol caliber carbine match. He had the HighPoint he kept as a HD weapon for himself, but more for his wife. Kind of a sobering moment when the timer went off and all his gun would do was go "click". :shock:
Slow is just slow.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Had a 40 cal carbine at one time. Shot well, just wasn't fond of the mag issue. Have a HiPoint 45 carbine now. Its heavy and trigger pull is also heavy, but it digests about anything I have tried to feed it, even full wadcutters. You can modify 45acp mags to fit, but you can't then use them in your pistol, unless you get a mag catch coversion kit, then it takes regular 45 mags.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Thunder50 wrote:..., unless you get a mag catch coversion kit, then it takes regular 45 mags.
That's good to know. Thanks!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What about the 'adapters' that convert a pistol/frame to a carbine...?

I always thought using one of them for a '1911' and fitting a double-stack ParaUSA or Rock Island 1911 to it would be NICE. My 20 round double-stack magazines only protrude about 3/4" farther from the gun than a 7-rounder does from a single-stack.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

AJMD429 wrote:What about the 'adapters' that convert a pistol/frame to a carbine...?

I always thought using one of them for a '1911' and fitting a double-stack ParaUSA or Rock Island 1911 to it would be NICE. My 20 round double-stack magazines only protrude about 3/4" farther from the gun than a 7-rounder does from a single-stack.
+1 On a carbine like these, I can't see not having at least 18-20 rounds on board.

I've been tempted lately to buy a Keltec Sub2000 in 9mm, to go with my 92, but I really like the idea of a 45 cal. carbine much better.
NRA Life Member
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

I have one of the 9mm versions that take the 92 mags. Fun gun. Surprising accuracy at 50 yards. I put an Ultradot sight on it.
I take a disabled nephew shooting on a regular basis. It is his favorite. Manageable for him with one hand.
My only complaint with it is a long heavy trigger pull.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The Beretta would be great if you already have or plan on buying a matching pistol so you can use the same mags.

I like my JRC just fine. Can be configured to use Glock 9, 40, or 45 mags or 1911 45 mags.
http://www.justrightcarbines.com/JR_Car ... oducts.php

My 9mm version will take any Glock mag from 10 to 33 rounds (and I guess the 100 double drums if you wanted to)
My only real gripe is no last shot bolt hold-open.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

THIS is what I was thinking of....

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/1 ... ech-c-c-u/

With my Rock Island 1911 frame it would mean a 20-round 45 ACP carbine with nearly flush-fitting magazines... 8)
Nearly Flush 20 Rounder.jpg
The stainless 1911 has an 8 round single-stack and the black one has a 20 round double-stack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I specifically did not want something that I had to use a donor gun. There have been carbine conversion kits around for a while, but I looked forever before I found a dedicated carbine that took Glock mags. Now it appears there are several.

I considered the Kel Tec Sub2000 back when they were 299, but they were just for flimsy they did appeal to me. Definitely not, now that they are pricier (post panic).

Stag arms has recently introduced their dedicated 9mm AR, but to me, the whole point of having a pistol caliber carbine is to have it use the same mags as your pistol.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Storm shoots well, and they're solidly reliable with basic maintenance. Oddly enough, Beretta makes a submachine gun version of the same gun........

They were used as "rifles" in the mid 2000s Battlestar Galactica series.

They'd sell better if they had more mag options, kind of like Ruger's old PC carbine. But they do work.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've been looking at those too. Wasn't thrilled with the Kel Tec I was looking over.
I had a Ruger PC 9 that I sold when they were discontinued and got pricey.
Really wish I hadn't, that was a great little carbine that will cost me big time to get back!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

2ndovc wrote:I've been looking at those too. Wasn't thrilled with the Kel Tec I was looking over.
I had a Ruger PC 9 that I sold when they were discontinued and got pricey.
Really wish I hadn't, that was a great little carbine that will cost me big time to get back!

jb 8)
You and me both -- i bought one in 96 when they came out, but sold it within a few months (was in college , had a cash crunch)
Reminded me of what a modern M1 carbine should be like
A Colt 9mm AR is just 200$ more than what these seem to be going for used now -- this has what has kept me from buying another, but i havent really found a reason to buy a 9mm AR either.

I did handle a 9mm Tavor recently though and i gotta say, that has possibilities! What a fast handling little machine!
----- Doug
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

I have all three with the accompanying pistol. They are a very accurate gun and quite handy. If you like a good trigger, these will need work, but still a great gun...

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

We had one at one time. It was a favorite but when prices went sky high I let it go. The 45 version has low capacity and proprietary mags. The 9mm version uses 92 mags which are common and hold more ammo. I would buy another but like another poster said they have become so pricey you can buy a Colt 9mm AR for about the same money. I got mine used but like new for about $400. It brought three times that during the insanity but one of my daughters is still mad I sold it. It is a very fun gun with a red dot on it and very handy indoors.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Aero Carbine is available in 40, 45, and 9 that uses glock mags, if I'm not mistaken. It has quick change barrels also.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Shrapnel wrote:

One of my "Wish i woulda' bought one back when" guns --- HK P7. Always wanted an M13, but an M8 would suffice sufficiently also --- Nice. The collectors have gotten the prices on even the M8 guns up so far they are hard to swallow now though :(
----- Doug
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I like the idea of a carbine, but everything besides a HiPoint usually resides north of $600. At that point I might as well get an AK pistol and load it up 30 rounds of 7.62. The Sub2000 was a great idea, but they boarder on unobtainium and keltec seems to have an aversion to producing them in .45acp anyway.

I mean, if somebody threw one at me i'd happily take it, but not at the price points I'm seeing today.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Panzercat wrote: At that point I might as well get an AK pistol and load it up 30 rounds of 7.62.

Amateur :!: :D

Get both. There are too many guns out there to have to make those kinds of choices.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

vancelw wrote:Amateur :!: :D Get both. There are too many guns out there to have to make those kinds of choices.
There are also too many guns that I like for my bugetary constraints, thus the picking and choosing :lol:
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Panzercat wrote:
vancelw wrote:Amateur :!: :D Get both. There are too many guns out there to have to make those kinds of choices.
There are also too many guns that I like for my bugetary constraints, thus the picking and choosing :lol:
Doncha hate details? I keep thinning mine out....but then something else follow me home.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

There is a guy on Gunbroker selling 9mm Storms for $599.00. A much better gun than either a Colt or Hi-Point...