What kind of hobbies do you guys have?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

What kind of hobbies do you guys have?

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I need a new hobby...
Something that is not gun, related...and not to expensive...
Maybe something that I can turn into $$$$...
Thought about making fly rods....
What are your hobbies?
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What kind of hobbies do you guys have?

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

All of my hobbies are gun related ,from reloading and bullet casting to making pistol grips and holsters.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I used to carve a lot.

Photography, as amateur as you can get.

Fishing, but a lot of that is as much or more about subsistence.

Used to be flat fender Willys Jeeps, but I lost track of my last one when I got deployed and can't find out where it is now.

Bit of a rockhound.

Other than that, mostly gun related.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

None anymore.

I used to cast bullets, shoot, do Martial Arts, and occasionally go hunting.

But that was when regularly employed.

I have been "irregularly employed" since about 2009. I no longer have "hobbies" but occasional events granted me by chance, fortune or having nothing else to do (abject unemployment).

Maybe someday I will be able to start re-using the accumulated stuff that make up the "hardware" of my "hobb(ies)".
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Kinda like OI's answer, but when times have permitted, I've enjoyed:

Bird Watching, Wildflower Photography, Gardening, and Woodworking.

I keep coming back to firearms though, because some aspect of the hobby can be done at any time of year, and can usually be done in small snippets independent of any bigger plan.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

ATV or now riding our RZR. I also have a airplane but must sell it. Those hobby's are far from cheap! Don't know how to make a dime with them either. Riding and exploring new trails beats everything else put together for me. Years ago it was motorcycles but my wife and I together are too jammed up for the largest motorcycles now.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Aside from metallic silhouette shooting and reloading, my non-gun hobby is car shows with my fully restored 1955 Chevrolet Nomad:

Unfortunately, messing with classic/collector vehicles will definitely fail your "not too expensive" requirement! It is a rare individual who can profit from a hobby.
The tag line used by Griff says "There is a fine line between hobby and obsession...

I will heartily agree with that! :lol:

SHASTA
Last edited by Shasta on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I really liked (past tense) rowing my drift boat, but nobody is around that wants to go.....I need to get a hitch on the Jeep, and start digging up a drift boat buddy....

Music, of course.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

Shasta wrote:Aside from metallic silhouette shooting and reloading, my non-gun hobby is car shows with my fully restored 1955 Chevrolet Nomad:

Unfortunately, messing with classic/collector vehicles will definitely fail your "not too expensive" requirement! It is a rare individual who can profit from a hobby.
The tag line used by Griff says "There is a fine line between hobby and obsession...

I will heartily agree with that! :lol:

SHASTA
WoW! That is one beautiful Nomad. Don't see many around.

Dan
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I took up nature photography for a few years.
It met my need to forget about work and worries.

I started with a very basic camera and later upgraded it to one with more features and capability as the digital cameras evolved. I think that my current camera cost about $500 new.

My job & needs have changed in the last few years and I've been much less active in photography.

I have thought about woodworking as a retirement hobby and possible source of income.
Lawn ornaments or whirly-gigs might be interesting and fun.

Jack
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've been thinking about getting into digital photography. Mainly pictures of wildlife. There are magazines that are always looking for stock photos if you want to try to make a little jingle from it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I haven't been doing anything except shooting, casting, reloading for the last few years. I used to fly RC planes quite a bit. Like most other hobbies, you can spend a little to get started, or a lot to go big. After we get in our new place I plan on getting back into it since I won't have to belong to the club to have a place to fly, I can have my own runway. But I sold off all but one of my nitro planes, and one electric plane.
NRA Life Member
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I like to fool with blacksmithing small items. I fish and tie flies. I like to do paleo stuff: make atlatls and darts, bows and "arras" and even have tried my hand at making arrowheads with our abundant Oregon obsidian, with unimpressive result. Do a bit of leatherwork from time to time. Make the odd powderhorn. Bought a small metal lathe and hope to build small steam engines at some point.
Truth be told, my main hobby the past couple of years seems to be sitting in front of my computer, reading threads like this and gradually losing more core strength and muscle tone.

:lol:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Bought a small metal lathe and hope to build small steam engines at some point.

Now that would be cool!
NRA Life Member
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

RIHMFIRE wrote:I need a new hobby...
What are your hobbies?
A hobby you make money from is called a job, which can often transform into a soul-sucking experience. I try to maintain my hobbies as a soul-restoring experience.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

superchicken wrote: A hobby you make money from is called a job, which can often transform into a soul-sucking experience. I try to maintain my hobbies as a soul-restoring experience.
Hear, hear! I agree with this!

My wife would say I have too many hobbies...and wish I would put that energy into other "priorities". She's probably right. However, I do enjoy playing music (guitar, piano), fishing (and have built rods and tie flies), photography (http://www.wbjphotography.com/), golf (at my age. 'bout the only sport left anymore), chess, astronomy, computer games/xbox, reading (esp. non-fiction science stuff), coaching sports (though less now that the kids are grown), ...and of course, shooting/reloading.
Last edited by alnitak on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

superchicken wrote:
RIHMFIRE wrote:I need a new hobby...
What are your hobbies?
A hobby you make money from is called a job, which can often transform into a soul-sucking experience. I try to maintain my hobbies as a soul-restoring experience.
Spot on.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Photography & writing. Both of which I've been paid for, neither of which am I more'n an amateur! Used to be heavily into hotroddin'... Ain't turned a wrench on either of my projects in over 5 years... My '55 sedan ain't been outta the storage locker in over 10... sittin' on block, tires deflated, fluids all drained... Trying to save the bucks for a crate ZZ383 for the Camaro... One of these days...
Last edited by Griff on Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

I worked with a guy who broke both of his legs and was off work for a long time. His wife got tired of him just watching TV and bothering her so she bought him an entry level fly tying kit. He had never fished in his life. He kept working at it and upgrading his tools and he got real good. His flys are like works of art (which he sells to anglers and collectors) and he teaches classes. Top of the line tools can't total much over $1000 if that.

Bob in Friday Harbor, WA
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Get you a metal detector lot of coins and rings out there if your on the beach never know what you might find. danny
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I started cycling a few years ago. Since then I've bought a nice road bike and ride in 100 mile race/fun events around Colorado. I do a lot of riding over a 10,000 pass near me (10 miles away) and put around 100 miles a week on a bike. I'm planning to enter a couple short triathlons this year with the goal to do a half ironman type event in the future. The cycling has really improved my overall fitness level and improved my 2 mile run times dramatically.

I've also been looking in to making a forge and doing some amateur large knife/small sword/utility blade making from leaf springs.

And a future planned hobby is sailing. I'm going to sell my last Jeep this year and buy a small trailerable sailboat this year hopefully.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Rhimfire,

You mentioned flyrod making as a possibility. There are classes all over the US for building split bamboo fly rods. I figure if a guy can make a split bamboo flyrod then making any other type of rod ought to be a snap.

Bob in Friday Harbor, WA
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

forging hot steel is therapeutic. steel is a foundation of civilization, and blacksmithing is the core cause of technology. so it's a tie to the distant past, it's cheap to get into. a hammer. an anvil. in africa the anvil and hammer were often rocks. a fire and air supply. some kind of tongs. bingo, you are good to go.

the metalurgy is endlessly fascinating, but you don't have to actually know anything about it to make useful articles and items by moving plastic steel about. you can learn by doing, and you can learn from the masters on u2oobuniversity. heat treating to a useful degree is not difficult, has a learning curve which you climb with practice.

charcoal is the fuel of choice, not the briquet bbq type. a forge can be a hole in the ground with air piped into it. an anvil can be almost any piece of steel. hammers are a buck or two at flea markets. some files help. an angle grinder, while not necessary, can speed up certain phases. a propane forge is cheap enough to build for small stuff. mine will heat one inch round bar to forging heat.

it's perfect for the paleo things because they have been made from metal for thousands of years. instant connection to your five thousand year old gene pool. :D

you can set a grill over a charcoal fire died down to tempering heat, and cook up some protein and heat up the soup and coffee at the same time. not much else gets me out of the house for hours at a time unless it's driving the ammo up to the multiuse recreational national forest. and if fire is permitted you could do some smithing there. the echoes would be wonderful.

there is something good about sitting around a hot fire outside, contemplating which hammer will best move the metal in the next phase, thinking about how it will all work out in the end. it moves some basic instincts, maybe that's the connection I get.

solves gifting problems as well . . .

Grizz
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Old Ironsights wrote:None anymore.

I used to cast bullets, shoot, do Martial Arts, and occasionally go hunting.

But that was when regularly employed.

I have been "irregularly employed" since about 2009. I no longer have "hobbies" but occasional events granted me by chance, fortune or having nothing else to do (abject unemployment).

Maybe someday I will be able to start re-using the accumulated stuff that make up the "hardware" of my "hobb(ies)".

Pretty much the same for me, but now all I do is shoot postal matches.... :wink:
Merle from PA
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I love my Harley. Now that I'm retired I want to go on longer rides. Also like taking my 5th wheel up in the Sierras and trout fish. In the fall and winter I chase elk in Wyoming. I can't wait to start taking the grandkids camping and fishing.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Racing off road motorcycles and motocross --- those are the main focus -- but i also engage in a myriad of activities to prepare myself for that -- (weight training, cycling, and rowing, i try to mix up the methods so i dont get bored) -- It gives me a full dance card.

Sometimes the training takes on a life of its own, and i will concentrate on cycling for a few months and not even touch the motorcycles (i am looking forward to a cycling trip to Moab, UT in the next couple of months ) -- weight workouts are a bothersome chore but must be done somewhat regularly

I have a small collection of radio control cars that would fall into the category of "pure hobby" though and not tremendously expensive --- i have meant to tune those up and hit an R/C car track , but many times, if its nice enough outside to be running RC cars, - i could be riding my bikes , motorized or non motorized -- so they have been gathering dust
----- Doug
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

She's wasting away in storage...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Old outboards. Cheap and don't take up much room compared to a hobby car or two.

Couple of downsides.

1. Just like cars, you won't get much more than 1/2 of what you spend restoring one back if you sell it. I stick to survivors, and getting them running. Still likely to lose money but not so much and you can always use them to go fishing.

2. The boats you end up "needing" take up as much space as hobby cars.

3. They multiply like rabbits once folks find out you like 'em.

Post by M. M. Wright »

Dang Ben, that's a beauty. You need to get that out and ride it. The Harley I have running is a 66 FLH but much customized.

M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Sheesh! Definitely not your stock 66 Electra Glide! Disc brakes too! Well done 8)
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I make the occasional holster that I sell on ebay.
It keeps a balance in my PayPal account for the occasional purchase and I enjoy the idea of having my maker stamp scattered across the country and so far Canada, France, and Poland.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My wife and I have been flipping houses for nearly 20 years. Quite profitable. I'm not spending a lot on out of state hunts although there is that. Mostly we have been stacking up money for retirement. Planning to retire to Florida and hunt axis deer and wild hogs.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a Harley Low Rider, and a Cow-a-Sucki 900 :lol: Not hobbies, but just facts of life when the weather is fair to decent.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Ben_Rumson wrote:She's wasting away in storage...

A flathead!!!! What year is it? :o
Merle from PA
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I work full time. Add to that shooting, casting, and reloading and my time is pretty much used up.
Beside my computer I have a 5ft fish tank with a bunch of Rift Lake cichlids in it which I am starting to breed successfully.
I can sit and watch those fish for hours.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

I don't really call this a hobby, but I don't know what else it would be - anyway, I raise bees. Mostly because I like their cool biology, and also because where else can I get a quarter of a million females working 24/7 for me?

Anyway, pollenation services and QUALITY honey are in high demand. So, there can be good money it and I used to sell some of my honey -mostly for fun and braggin' rights. I probably should have declared myself an ag business and a farm and applied for tons of subsidies and all that, but I didn't. I just like having them.

Anyway, you can raise bees almost anywhere. They are pretty fun to watch and work with. Of course my bees and I have a sort of "edgy" relationship so that adds a little bit of mystique to it too.

Anyhow, I good "hobby" that could net you a few dollars and get you to make some new friends at organic grocers, restaurateurs, community-supported agriculture associations, or farmers markets if you wish.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I'm getting back into casting bullets.

I also have a CJ6 that's been siting in my garage for three years needing attention! BUT........

Looks like things are changing at work enough that I'm seriously thinking going on my own! :shock: It's been a looooonnnngggg time coming and if that happens most likely it will, I see myself not doing any fun stuff for awhile :|

Mainehunter :wink:
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

When not doing fun related things Im either building our 65 Chevy Truck or doing photography stuff. I also like coin collecting.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Children and elderly parents
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Ben, I could do a little magic, an turn er into an 06 Roadking for ya
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

Brent's got a cool hobby with his bees, but it'd be tough to pull off out here in the cotton desert. These cotton farmers believe the only good bug is a dead bug. Since we moved out here I can't even get stuff to pollinate without getting into a little 'poke and tickle' with a brush. It just made me feel dirty and you can buy a lot of veggies for a $200+ per month water bill, so I gave up gardening. I guess I ain't a farmer.

Back when I was in the field a lot, many of my hobbies were shop related. I built primitive bows, flint knapped, did a fair bit of blacksmithing, and built a few muzzleloaders. Nowadays I have a lot less field time so my priorities have changed. I spend my time outside training and working my bird dog, hunting, camping with my family, hiking, shooting longbows, etc. My daughter is currently smitten with shooting longbows and it's something we can do together in the backyard. Oh, and I am the world's worst fisherman. Just don't have the patience for it. I'd rather swim or paddle than drown a worm.

I don't know what it is about money and hobbies. Any time income comes into the equation, I start to lose interest quickly and think about going back to my real job. The idea of selling something I made brought out the worst in me. I knew every bump or wart on the project and nothing was ever good enough. If I made it for myself or gave it away to friends or family, all those bumps and warts just became character. I am highly unlikely to ever become gainfully self employed as a craftsman of anything, and I have come to terms with that.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Guns...guns...guns...reloading.....casting....working on guns........competing with guns...hunting with guns..........wheeling and dealing guns.........

If you do it right and spend 90% of your time doing it, you might be 10% accomplished when you die.

Like John Taffin, it's the 4 f-s.......family, friends, faith, firearms......but I change that around a bit...

With me, it's family, screw so called friends, faith in a higher power, and firearms........

So be it--------6
Model A Uzi’s
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

I don't know which cotton desert you are in, Superchick, but you are right about Big Ag wanting to kill all things not crop. That way we are ever more beholden to Chem Ag for solutions. But most places have orchards somewhere or other. If there are any round you, a good orchardist might be interested in donating you some space for a few hives.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

All gun related from casting to making it go boom, after a winter of howling wind & before
the grass grows I go looking for Indian rocks or see what I can turn up with a metal detector
always say I may go fishing but never get there

ollogger
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

I retired from public education a year and a half ago. Thought I was going to have time get back to the hobby that helped pay for my college -lapidary. Didn't happen. Got a chance to teach at a local university and our oldest daughter's husband walked out on her. Now I spend my spare time and money fixing up the daughter's civil war era house.

If you want a hobby that makes money I have a friend who does odd jobs for friends - painting, easy plumbing and electrical. He works when he wants and shoots the rest of the time.

Good Luck,
Dan
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

When I retired I set up a home workshop. I make all the steel targets for my CAS club plus gun parts and reloading accessories. Just now I am working on a small pulse jet for a pushbike and a Dalek for my grandson.
I promised the wife the workshop would be self-funding so when I need a new machine I make a batch of these stainless steel roses and sell them at craft fairs.

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I bought a metal bender from Harbor freight. The kind that you can take round or flat stock and make scrolls . I made up some trellis's for my wive's garden and then other people wanted them. It was creative and relaxing. A bender and a welder is all you need. I made a 6 X 6 foot gazebo for the wife for all her plants to grow on. The pieces don't have to be big, even basic garden art. Black rustoleum rattle can paint and your good.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have many:
Hunting,Fishing, sailing, motor boating, motorcycles, archery, hiking, biking, survival skills, shooting, astronomy, digital photography,reading. I tie flies, make lures, cast bullets, reload, and care for my mule. I garden for food. I trap, skin and sell furs, but not as much as I use to. I travel and in my spare time, I haul items for people from pets to boats, vehicles, etc, which earns an extra income.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Just like what I learned to ride on!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

a whole bunch of hobby businesses have grown up finishing fiberglass fly rods
the blanks are made made by relatively small enterprises, as well
http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/v ... m.php?f=36

a good friend into RC boats began building an outboard drive foot that took off, with trim even.

can you think of a tool every levergunner or reloader needs and don't know it yet?

back to fly rods, I don't know any bamboo rodmaker selling $1000 rods who works for anything approaching minimum wage, but they do love the work
http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/v ... m.php?f=36
a subforum of these guys are building conventional-styled fly reels
http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=93

a commercial rod site to get some ideas
http://www.goldenwitch.com/about.html

Another friend built a good business proving a workshop and supplies for people to wrap and finish their own rods from blanks - the business started in his shed, over the years grew up to include a retail fly shop and retail gun shop, then grew back down in size, is now back in his residence, and he's totally happy with it