Want Williams 5D for 92 Rossi

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Want Williams 5D for 92 Rossi

Post by JerryB »

I have finally decided it's time to put a 5D on my 92 Rossi. I looked at Midway and they don't show one, so I went to the Williams site and couldn't find one there. What is the number for the 92 Rossi? thanks
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Want Williams 5D for 92 Rossi

Post by J Miller »

I do believe the 92s use the same sight as the 94s. They are the 94/36 or 94/336 not sure how they're marked.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thanks Joe I thought maybe the 94/336 model must be the right one but was not real sure. I'll get one ordered and have my gunsmith d/t the rifle and put it on.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JerryB wrote:Thanks Joe I thought maybe the 94/336 model must be the right one but was not real sure. I'll get one ordered and have my gunsmith d/t the rifle and put it on.
NO............!

The "94" is side-mounted and for Winchesters/clones and side-tapped Marlins. The "336" ones are top-mounted and use the holes in the Marlin on top intended for scope mounting. Both work on Marlins, but the Winchesters/clones only work with the "94" ones.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

OK Doc, I will call William's and order from them and get the right one. Also a couple of different apertures.

wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Should be Williams item #1398 5D-94/36, but call them anyhow, they know what they are doing.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AJMD429 wrote:
JerryB wrote:Thanks Joe I thought maybe the 94/336 model must be the right one but was not real sure. I'll get one ordered and have my gunsmith d/t the rifle and put it on.
NO............!

The "94" is side-mounted and for Winchesters/clones and side-tapped Marlins. The "336" ones are top-mounted and use the holes in the Marlin on top intended for scope mounting. Both work on Marlins, but the Winchesters/clones only work with the "94" ones.

FWIW:

Both the FP-94 & the less expensive 5D-94 are side mounted receiver peep sights.

Both the FP94AE & the less expensive 5D-94AE are top-mounted receiver peep sights - but the top mounting of these two sights utilize the top of each Model 92 receiver sidewall (One D/T'd hole/screw per side), which allows a very low positioning of the sight's horizontal aperture holding bar (so low that if your M92 has the bolttop safety, it should be replaced with a flat plug to clear the sight when cycling the lever).

I used a 5D-94AE on one of my Rossi Model 92's, which allow quick zeroing w/o any change to the height of the front sight blade.

Image Image

In any event, whether you go with a side or a top mount Williams peep, please don't forget to remove the rear barrel open/iron sight for a clear sight picture through the peep. and replace the bbl sight with a slot filler blank, either a commercial (Williams/Lyman/Marbles) one, or one filed from the male dovetail section of any old longleaf rear bbl sight (below).

Last edited by Pete44ru on Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD,

From my Williams Catalog:
5D-94/36 For Winchester 94, 64, 9422; Marlin 36, 336, 1894, .44 Magnum
5D-336 For Marlin Centerfire Lever actions ( uses two rear scope mount holes)
So I stand by what I said. My only confusion being I couldn't remember the Marlin model number.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Pete44ru,

Interesting, the 2002 Williams catalog lists the sights for the Angle Eject Winchester 94's as being the FP or 5D 94SE rather than AE.

I guess somewhere in the last 12 years they changed the model number.

Joe
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Just a personal observation, the side mounts are more compact and clean looking, the top mounts are bulky and busy looking for what can be a simple sight.

I've never had to change front sights with any side mount williams or Lyman receiver sight.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Joe, I think you are right, I just wanted to make sure he didn't get the Marlin-only version & I know that one has the '336' in it's name; the '36' gets you the side-tapped one...

This is the "Marlin Only" version -
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/799753/williams-fp-336-set-receiver-peep-sight-with-front-fire-sight-marlin-336-1894-installs-at-rear-scope-mounting-holes-aluminum-black

This is the "Side-tapped Marlin or Win/clone" version -
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/198988/williams-fp-94-36-receiver-peep-sight-winchester-top-eject-94-55-63-64-65-9422-marlin-36-336-444-44-magnum-93-1895-1895g-and-sears-centerfire-aluminum-black

Also, he'll find that the aperture being left OUT, for a 'ghost ring' effect, will be plenty accurate for hunting. I only put in an aperture for sighting-in, but the apertures (even the 'twilight' ones) are too small for fast-shooting or dim-light conditions.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Looking forward to putting the 5D on my .357 Rossi. I have more rifles with the 5D and one with a Foolprooof that I have been shooting for years.

1894c

Post by 1894c »

the Williams 5D is a great sight, kindof a minimalist thing which work well on your Rossi... :)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Want Williams 5D for 92 Rossi UPDATE

Post by JerryB »

My 5D came today, I will take carbine and sight to my gunsmith Monday morning to have it mounted. Looking forward to getting it sighted in. I forgot to order the rear sight blank, I think I have one if not I will make one like Pete did from the barrel sight.

TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

I remember reading somewhere, probably here :) , that the Rossi 92's use an odd size rear site dovetail?
My Rossi 92 is a older one, puma medallion on side of the frame, front site integral with the barrel band.
If I change to a frame peep site, I would prefer to keep the original front site.
Thoughts?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

TWHBC, there are folks here that know about the front sight but I believe I have read that it is tall enough to work well with the Williams 5D sight. I'll be taking mine to the gunsmith in the morning.

williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

JerryB wrote:OK Doc, I will call William's and order from them and get the right one. Also a couple of different apertures.
I mostly use the Williams twilight aperture on the guide gun, old eyes.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein