This Forums History ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

This Forums History ???

Post by cshold »

What is the history of this forum?
I know most of us came over to this forum from another one that no longer exists in 2007.
I wasn't in the old forum very long before the transition to this one.
Has Paco ever posted in this forum?
Was he active in the old forum?
When did he start the old forum?
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: This Forums History ???

Post by JReed »

I started on the old one back in 2004. It had been around for awhile at that time. Paco used to get on quite regularly but hasn't been on this one in a long while I know his wife was suffering some health issues and he isn't a young man either. Hobbie or one of the others can fill in more of the gaps. I want to say this is version 3 of the board since I have been around.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jim T would also be one to shed a lot of light here.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Some of the threads from the old forum can be found in "The One Sticky" and other info of interest at the top of this forum's opening page.

http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.org/

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

here's the link to the parent site:

http://www.leverguns.com/

here's the statement of purpose:

http://www.leverguns.com/about.htm
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I believe it started around 2000 or slightly earlier? I think I joined in 2001.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I was reading the old Leverguns forum when I was on nights at work before I retired in July of 2001. I can remember Kirk writing about the 38-55 and he went by Win38-55 I do believe. I signed up some time after I retired. there was always a lot of good rearing by Jim T. and Paco.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think I used to read a lot on the sixguns.com and sixgunner.com forum when I learned about the original leverguns.com forum.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I remember there was a lot of moaning about lost post counts back then..... :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

game keeper wrote:I remember there was a lot of moaning about lost post counts back then..... :lol:
I think the post count obsession has subsided except for possibly one :)
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

casastahle wrote:
game keeper wrote:I remember there was a lot of moaning about lost post counts back then..... :lol:
You must be . . . Kidding
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

casastahle wrote:What is the history of this forum?
I know most of us came over to this forum from another one that no longer exists in 2007.
I have been here since 2001or so. It used to be a lot more lively place with a ton of levergun stuff everyday.

Paco and JimT would post quite a bit, yes Paco has not posted in some time, I think it may have been due to private home matters keeping him busy.

I remember quite fondly of Terry breaking my horns a bit about shooting whitetails with my Puma 454, lol.

Many of the Shootists would post here as well as many in the sports businesses, ammo makers, rifle builders, cast bullet makers, revolver makers, ect, ect the list was long.

Most have left by now, not much the spirit here of the old board.

Oh, I do remember when that Marlin site closed down and we got us some new members.......lol.

Steve
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Another thing I remember about the change over was my original handle was gamekeeper but since the change I have to log on as game keeper, no big deal but it still irks me to split one word into two.. :?
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Tycer wrote:
casastahle wrote:
:wink:
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Rusty, that's how I found the old forum, I did a lot of reading on the two sixgun forums.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

SteveR wrote:
I have been here since 2001or so. It used to be a lot more lively place with a ton of levergun stuff everyday.

Paco and JimT would post quite a bit, yes Paco has not posted in some time, I think it may have been due to private home matters keeping him busy.

I remember quite fondly of Terry breaking my horns a bit about shooting whitetails with my Puma 454, lol.

Many of the Shootists would post here as well as many in the sports businesses, ammo makers, rifle builders, cast bullet makers, revolver makers, ect, ect the list was long.

Oh, I do remember when that Marlin site closed down and we got us some new members.......lol.

Steve
Awww! The good old days.
It's to bad it ended as you remember it.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

game keeper wrote:Another thing I remember about the change over was my original handle was gamekeeper but since the change I have to log on as game keeper, no big deal but it still irks me to split one word into two.. :?

If you want, I can probably change it to one word. BUT, don't want to do it without you knowing about it. :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Paco and JimT started the leverguns site back at the beginning of this century. The person who acquired the old sixgunner site provided the original forum on the same software that lead to the demise of the sixgunner site. When it went toes up, a certain webservant provided the hosting and domain name for this community forum. The current iteration of the forum thus is a spin off of the original sixshootercommunity site and forum (which was formed as a place for folks who didn't go along with being told where to go and what to do and is known as the Gord board from the old disk.sewer days when it was set up by Gordon from the old sixgunner disk.sewer forum) AND also the original leverguns.othersite forum. Folks lost post counts and such and almost all the original posts also disappeared. Then we had a crash which lead to the current practice of funding this site by bi-annual fund drives. That was when we had a LOT of groaning about lost post counts. Now we've got someone on board who knows his way around keeping this software going and have had no more hard resets of the system although there've been glitches occasionally.

Paco posted at the beginning but personal matters took up his time and I don't know if he even lurks any more. Yes, Paco was quite active on the old forum.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Man! Talk about flash back! :shock: Back then I was big into handgun hunting and Sixgun.com was the ONLY place I would hang out after work. Just reading articles from Paco, Jim Taylor, John Taffin and others sooooo much valuable info. A lot of those articles went missing for quite some time when the Sixgun site went down. When the Fiveshot.org site came up a year or so ago someone there brought back those articles and I was able to reprint some of them but now since last spring that site is now gone. :cry:

Mainehunter :wink:
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

casastahle wrote:
SteveR wrote:

Steve
Awww! The good old days.
Not quite sure why you are being a jerk to me, I have always respected you and your posts.
But now you said it, when all you people from that other board came here, and you brought FWeidner with you, and yes now it is not the great place it was before.

Steve
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Got here late 2001 I think, following a .444 link when I had a 94 Big Bore AE deluxe model. Some of you may remember Al Anderson who had a bunch of really good articles that were taken down. Jim T and Paco posted a lot back then along with some others I haven't seen in awhile.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

SteveR wrote:
casastahle wrote:
SteveR wrote:

Steve
Awww! The good old days.
Not quite sure why you are being a jerk to me, I have always respected you and your posts.
But now you said it, when all you people from that other board came here, and you brought FWeidner with you, and yes now it is not the great place it was before.

Steve
So sorry Steve.
I didn't at all intend that to be disrespectful to you whatsoever.
It was apparently my poor attempt at agreeing with you and wishing the forum was like it was in the good old days. :)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

SteveR wrote:
casastahle wrote:
SteveR wrote:

Steve
Awww! The good old days.

Steve
Wow...that's a long time to hold a grudge.... :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:
Meh, I'm still mad about the Bolshevik Revolution.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Meh, I'm still mad about the Bolshevik Revolution.
I Red about that one.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I joined in 2007, and it's been well worth it. Learned a lot, and got a lot of help from several members.

I just ignore it when ya'll start pissin' and moanin' at each other! ;)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Tycer wrote:
casastahle wrote:
Hey!

I can't help it! I yap for a living! :lol:

I came over during version 2.0, I believe. Kirk's info on the .45-60 WCF got me hooked. Realized there was a lot of patriotic like-minded folks here. Never have participated in any other forums, which probably also explains the post count. Unfortunately, work now just has me too busy to visit as often as I'd like. I miss it...
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AmBraCol wrote:
game keeper wrote:Another thing I remember about the change over was my original handle was gamekeeper but since the change I have to log on as game keeper, no big deal but it still irks me to split one word into two.. :?

If you want, I can probably change it to one word. BUT, don't want to do it without you knowing about it. :lol:
I was originally "YsabelKid" and Hobe changed me to the correct "Ysabel Kid" a long time ago. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BTW - no one should give a rip about post count. I have a high count and yet know little compared to most of the members here - which is a large reason for me coming here as often as I can; to learn. I do try to wish everyone a "Happy Birthday" (I'm no where near as good at this as GK), and say a prayer for all those that ask. It's amazing how fast posts add up here when you share in the fellowship of the site...
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I came on board about 2003 or 2004 when searching for some 38-55 reloading info. I found the original leverguns board and realized I wasn't the only guy who liked leverguns. I learned a lot from the members of this board.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I was invited to join right after the original forum was up and running. I forget who invited me to join.
I've always been bad with names.
Been here since. Seen a lot of good members leave. Watched the fusses and fights, and most if not all the original members drop off.

I'm still here, although in the last years or so I've got little to contribute.

At one time I had kept the count of posts, just for the fun of it, and I figure that I have nearly 20,000 posts if you go back to the start. Doesn't mean anything other than for a while I contributed quite a bit quite often.

I will say that I really miss Paco, JimT, and a bunch of others. I wish they'd come back.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

casastahle wrote:
So sorry Steve.
It was apparently my poor attempt at agreeing with you and wishing the forum was like it was in the good old days. :)
My bad, sorry that I took it the wrong way :oops: , but you guys did bring FWiedner over though!! :o

I forgot about Al Andersen's posts, very informative.

Joe,
Good to see you are still here, I too wish Paco and Jim would post more, but maybe we need guys like you to pick up where they left off??? You have a lot squirreled away in that big brain of yours!!

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

BlaineG wrote:
I don't hold any grudges, unless I am missing the point, which is most of the time. But, what grudge?

Steve

Tubby The Tuba, wasn't a good screen name for you, your one now fits better.

Steve
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Tubby The Tuba once busted my balls for talking about the War of Northern Aggression... :o
Blaine on the other hand is now a much more polite Yankee..... :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

game keeper wrote:Tubby The Tuba once busted my balls for talking about the War of Northern Aggression... :o
I've mellowed with age..... Besides, I play euphonium these days....what the he!! kind of name could a fella make up using that?? :?

But, heck....Didn't I forgive you for burning the White House? You should try again as it needs a good cleansing inferno... :twisted:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

SteveR wrote:
casastahle wrote:
So sorry Steve.
My bad, sorry that I took it the wrong way :oops: , but you guys did bring FWiedner over though!! :o

I forgot about Al Andersen's posts, very informative.

Joe,
Good to see you are still here, I too wish Paco and Jim would post more, but maybe we need guys like you to pick up where they left off??? You have a lot squirreled away in that big brain of yours!!

Steve
It's all good Steve 8)
I have no intention of hacking off any of what's left of my long time lever gun brother's.
As stated already, we've lost way to many good one's. :(
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

BlaineG wrote:. Besides, I play euphonium these days....what the he!! kind of name could a fella make up using that?? :?
The Euphonist Kid
He's got chops.

Thanks for the education.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Tycer wrote:
BlaineG wrote:. Besides, I play euphonium these days....what the he!! kind of name could a fella make up using that?? :?
The Euphonist Kid
He's got chops.

Thanks for the education.
Needs more alliteration.... :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We should spend more time cultivating the next generation of 'great levergunners' instead of bemoaning the passing of time and moving on of our mentors. Those great guys started out as young whipper-snappers who didn't know much, and learned from their mentors, then became patient teachers once they matured.

Some on this forum are in the same league, and I've printed out many of their posts for reference. Some who aren't in that league 'yet' will be someday. That is the way things go, nostalgia or not.

The other 'issue' is of course that there are SO many new semiauto rifles, carbines, and pistols out there that are actually practical and affordable 'working guns' for home, ranch, or CCW, and it is no longer just lever-vs-bolt, and cylinder-vs-slide.

Leverguns are still pretty much the most 'fun' when I don't have any gun in my hands, but hand me a bolt action or semiauto or pump or breakopen or muzzleloader, and I'll probably think IT is the most fun for awhile... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

MacEntyre wrote:I joined in 2007, and it's been well worth it. Learned a lot, and got a lot of help from several members.

I just ignore it when ya'll start pissin' and moanin' at each other! ;)
Me too... (unless I'm one of the ones P&M'ing... :lol: )
Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:
game keeper wrote:Tubby The Tuba once busted my balls for talking about the War of Northern Aggression... :o
I've mellowed with age..... Besides, I play euphonium these days....what the he!! kind of name could a fella make up using that?? :?

But, heck....Didn't I forgive you for burning the White House? You should try again as it needs a good cleansing inferno... :twisted:
Burning the White House was the equivalent of tipping over the neighbors trash can after being run off their property.
11B30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

sore shoulder wrote:Burning the White House was the equivalent of tipping over the neighbors trash can after being run off their property.
Good thing I wasn't sipping my coffee when I read that; my keyboard isn't water proof... :lol:

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Grizz,

Thanks for posting the link to the home page. I think that some of our members forget this statement, specifiacally, the portion in RED:
OUR PURPOSE

Our goal is to present a website that will be informative and entertaining. It is our desire to provide the levergun fan with quality information. We endeavor to be as thorough and as honest as possible, knowing that whatever we do, we do to the glory of God. We thereby hope to bring honor to the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, without Whom we would have no salvation.
I came to the old forum, in late 2003, looking for information on Lucas McCain's Model 92 Winchester. Finding out that the founders of Leverguns are Christians made it much easier for me to want to hang around.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The history of the forum started when I arrived... and will end when I leave. But I've sure learned a lot in the interim. I've learned about posting pictures, links and some of human character and why the written word is such a poor medium for meaningful communication. I've enjoyed the fussin' and fightin' and the popcorn I've had while watchin' all that! :P

The only things I can control are in my 3 foot range... which is mostly just myself. This is still one of the very few places on the internet where there is mostly gentlemen, with very few grouches. And even they're rather polite about it! While I miss much of the levergun stuff, I can only blame myself... for I ask questions about all sorts of topics, usually related to guns in general, but sometimes will venture further afield.

I miss Terry Murbach and William Iorg. Yes, I said Terry M. If you don't, you're a thinskinned, insecure donkey. Yep, he has his gruff demeanor, but I, for one, do not believe he ever intended to demean anyone... for one cannot learn by being spoonfed pabulum. To really learn a subject, one needs to do one's own research and ferret out facts... Sorta like Jack Nicholson's character in "A Few Good Men", you might not like the truth, especially in all its unvarnished grittiness and bitter taste, but the truth is simply what it is.

Sorta like... "I'm crushing the shoulders on my .30-30 reloads, how do I correct this?" I can and have written a tutorial on how to set up seating & crimp die(s), but... isn't it more humane to simply tell the person... READ the front of your reloading manual or die instructions? Some folks seem to feel that it'd be best if I came over & did it for 'em. What do ya want I can show you the lake, point to the best fishin' hole... does one really have to yank 'em outta the water for ya? Even our Lord and Saviour tells us that it is better to teach a man to fish, than to give him a meal.

Regardless of how much I have enjoyed the forum and all the members I've had to pleasure to meet, talk to, or just read their thoughts and exploits on-line, if they decide to leave, that's simply on them. Those that have passed on, I look forward to pickin' their minds in the next phase of our lives. No regrets. I know one old grouchy fellar on another forum... retired Master Sargent I believe... he's told me he types 100 posts for every one that he actually hits the submit button on... Going back to that 3 foot circle of control. He can't control how anyone'll react to his hastily typed diatribe... but he can control whether they'll read it! Myself, on the other hand... feel that if 'someone' doesn't say it... the reader will never have the opportunity to control how they'll react! :twisted: :twisted:

As a reminder: to paraphrase the Forum rule: Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely. So girls (not being gender specific), pull up your big girl pants, the foregoing was POLITE!

Rant off. Yep, I ranged a little off topic... so I apologize to Mr. Stahle.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

AJMD429 wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:Burning the White House was the equivalent of tipping over the neighbors trash can after being run off their property.
Good thing I wasn't sipping my coffee when I read that; my keyboard isn't water proof... :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Griff wrote: I miss Terry Murbach and William Iorg. Yes, I said Terry M. If you don't, you're a thinskinned, insecure donkey. Yep, he has his gruff demeanor, but I, for one, do not believe he ever intended to demean anyone...
I think some people took mr Murback the wrong way simply because he typed in all caps and was very direct, which I always took as and eyesight issue and someone who believed in getting to the point. There was never any malice in his posts that I could tell.
11B30
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

sore shoulder wrote:
Griff wrote: I miss Terry Murbach and William Iorg. Yes, I said Terry M. If you don't, you're a thinskinned, insecure donkey. Yep, he has his gruff demeanor, but I, for one, do not believe he ever intended to demean anyone...
I think some people took mr Murback the wrong way simply because he typed in all caps and was very direct, which I always took as and eyesight issue and someone who believed in getting to the point. There was never any malice in his posts that I could tell.
+ 1.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

JReed wrote:I started on the old one back in 2004. It had been around for awhile at that time. Paco used to get on quite regularly but hasn't been on this one in a long while I know his wife was suffering some health issues and he isn't a young man either. Hobbie or one of the others can fill in more of the gaps. I want to say this is version 3 of the board since I have been around.
Jeremy,

Where did you come up with your original name, Saloon Slug?

Steve