ugh.....laid up

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

ugh.....laid up

Post by wvfarrier »

I got trampled by a horse I was shoeing. Broke two ribs about an inch from my spine. Lots of deep tissue bruising. Gonna be laid up for couple weeks. Bored to death already....so I'm watching "The Sacketts"
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: ugh.....laid up

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry to hear that.
Enjoy the sacketts and with those broken ribs don't watch anything that will make you laugh. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow, sorry to hear man. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

I've got all those Louis L'Amour movies too. Good stuff. :D

We've got all those books, must have read em a hundred times. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Very sorry to hear this. Prayers offered up for a speedy and complete recovery...

If you like OLD westerns, try getting hold of some of the William Boyd's "Hopalong Cassidy" movies. Great fun and interesting to watch.
Last edited by GonnePhishin on Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sorry to hear that, that's gonna be a pain for a while. That rib cartilidge takes a loooooong time to quit hurting.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm glad you were not more seriously injured :shock: :o .....Try not to cough. Rest, relax, and heal.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Man, that's a bummer. What caused the horse to "lose it" or whatever?

Pruning pony toes is one thing I don't much care for. You guys that do it for a living have to be made of steel.

So far, I've been lucky, but I only do my own, and we work with them a lot to keep the "civil".
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ask your doc about calcitonin. we use it off-label quite frequently to help fractures heal more rapidly.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BrentD wrote:Man, that's a bummer. What caused the horse to "lose it" or whatever?

Pruning pony toes is one thing I don't much care for. You guys that do it for a living have to be made of steel.

So far, I've been lucky, but I only do my own, and we work with them a lot to keep the "civil".
Amen. Lost part of my left kidney back when I was still 10 feet tall and bullet proof in the same manner. Stupid kid on dirt bike. Mighta been partly the Arabian filly's fault... haven't cared for the breed since! Was off more'n a "coupla weeks". Now I seldom do mine! And hardly ever shoe 'em. Then, there was the time at Disneyland when one of their Shires tossed me into the barn wall...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I can feel that clear out here!!
take care & don't let the boredom get to you. heal up good first, trust me ive had all sorts of
experience on healing up

ollogger
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Ouch!!! I know it hurts....I had a car fall on Me once, lying face down. it was a miracle I got out from under it. went to our Country Doctor and He, despite being about 80 nearly cra**#d his pants when He saw My back. I'll have a "shot" for You, see if it helps. Heal Well.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Sorry to hear this. I got stove up by a crazy mare of my cousins while trying to help shoe her, it's no fun. I've got knots all over my ribs and shins from messing with onery horses when I was young. I always felt better sitting up than lying down when my ribs were busted up. Never had any broke where yours are, please take it easy and keep us informed.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

having them do a fred astaire on you or jerking a nail thru your hand leaves marks, breaking a rib off your back is painful get healed up and watch out for wringtail knotheads. danny
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

tough break. heal fast as you can.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nothing but respect for farriers. This city boy gets nervous just poking around the frog with a hoof pick. You have my sympathy and best wishes for a fast heal. If you can find some "Cheyenne" and "Have Gun Will Travel" episodes, it will be worth your while, I promise.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

get well soon....

Was he green or broke....

That's a good movie to take care of some of the boredom.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

He has been abused. Not really sure what triggered it. I think I may have moved in a way that triggered his response but who knows. I'm lucky. He meant to kill me.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Sorry to hear this, get well soon
Don't cough or sneeze
Unless your on the pot
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

I sure feel sorry for you for. I had most of the ribs on left side, front & back, broken into three pieces among other bones once by a Buick Electra 225 eating my motorcycle front to back. Last thing the Doc said as I left the Hospital was when you feel a sneeze coming on was to put my back against a wall so I would go down slow and easy. He was correct! Killed the cycle.
Hope you heal up faster than me.

hayabusa
1894c

Post by 1894c »

prayers sent...great time to build an AR-15... :)
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Whorse and horses have had me laid up a few times, use this time to eat plenty of doughnuts and pie's, add a little layer of protective padding around the middle.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

About 5 years ago on a ATV ride I broke a rack of ribs. We were about 20 miles or more from my truck. Great fun driving out. I couldnt lay down on the bed for over a month and had to sleep in my recliner. Trying to lay down on the bed almost killed me. Seems there was a range of angle trying to get on my back in bed that would really hurt. I got off the quad to take a picture of part of zion far below a cliff lookout. My feet got tangled in vines and I tried to save the camera. Fell down on my left side but somehow I broke a bunch of ribs on the right side. Still feel it at times. Hope you do better than I did. I was laid up longer than you are hoping for.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Hayabusa I see your Buick and raise you a cadillac eating my motorcycle from side to side. This was 30 years ago and am still feeling it. Thank heaven I am still here to complain about it. Thank the Lord it was an American made GM that got me, otherwise I might have had an attitude about it. :D

Farrier good luck and heal quickly. A friend raises Tennessee Walkers, and she has been hurt bad 3 times over the years. I think motorcycles might be safer... :wink:
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

octagon lol.I got broadsided from the left side by two fellows in a 70ish Pontiac from Wyoming in early 71 or so. He had NO Insurance. Left out for home when the state dmv got after him. I was not hurt then. I have had a few wrecks, not accidents, always the people say(I never seen him) Quartz headlight in their eyes. Do not wish it on no one.

hayabusa
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ouch! Prayers up for you! Heal fast!!!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Oh, I feel for you farrier. Fell through a deck I was building a few years back and broke a leg and a couple of ribs next to the back bone. The leg pain was minimal next to the ribs. All through my "growin' up" years I rode a mule a lot and found the way down from him many times but never hurt badly. Even "cowboyed" a couple of years riding many different horses and got away without a lot of injuries. Heal well.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Man, hope you get well soon. Those types of paints just take time.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1892 wrote:prayers sent...great time to build an AR-15... :)
Now THAT sounds like a PLAN. . . !!! 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

wvfarrier wrote:He has been abused. Not really sure what triggered it. I think I may have moved in a way that triggered his response but who knows. I'm lucky. He meant to kill me.
If he actually did intend to kill you, then yes you are very lucky. Horses fight with both ends and the middle. I used to help a friend break mustangs he bought cheap and rode both saddle and bare-back broncs when I was young and dumb, so I've been around a few horse that would paw, kick the snot out of, or bite you. But I've only seen one horse that I was sure was out to kill a human.

A buddy of mine's saddle mare went completely crazy as we were starting out of his corral on a ride one day and before I could turn my horse and run her off him she had broke his nose, cracked his skull, stomped one side of his chest in, bite a chunk out of his left butt check, and picked him up by a boot and slung him across the coral like a rag doll. She then came after me and my horse, she might have been thirteen hands and I was on a half Throughbred/Quarter horse cross stud that was over seventeen hands tall. She tried to knock me out of the saddle, bit a bruise on my left thigh that reached from my knee to my hip and also bit a chunk out of my horse's neck before I could turn him into her and knock her down by brute force running over her. The problem then was keeping the stud from killing her, but my bud's Dad shot her dead before we got Johnny loaded in the ambulance.

That mare was gentle raised and broke, and had never showed any kind of mean streak. She was not in heat and had been around my stud on several occasions before with no problem. We never could figure out what turned her switch, but couldn't take the chance on it ever happening again. She was still acting crazy when Johnny's Dad pulled the trigger. Johnny was in the hospital for almost a month and couldn't work for about 4 after he got out.

As much as I hate to put a horse down whoever owns the horse that did this to you might seriously consider it. It happened once, it'll happen again and no one knows when or with who.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.