tone down the rhetoric

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

tone down the rhetoric

Post by Scott Young »

yall need to stop making posts about my beloved .35 remington. before long everyone will want one and it will drive the prices of them too high for a poor preacher to keep playing with them. yes it is true that i have in the past have expressed admiration and touted the hammer of thorness that the little feller carries. but i must repent as i have seen a growing tide of 35 shooters rising. the 35 remington shooters have been a very small niche of people who pride themselves with one of the greatest hunting cartridges created. if we don't stop the promotion, you will find people wanting to hot rod the .35, put spirepoints on them, color them pink, and put plastic tips on them.

awe shucks that is already happening.

well if all are going to tell people about the .35 just please give them a warning. it will soon become your go to gun and you will rarely hunt the rest. i have had to make myself hunt with the other rifles just to keep peace amongst them. my .35 is a bit arrogant in that she gets more action.

good shooting yall
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You Sir, are a .35 Remington bigot of the first order ! :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P :P :P
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

It already has started. Before last summer, good 35's could be found gathering dust on used gun racks in just about any gunshop. Priced cheap, too. Now they've pretty much disappeared. Are you saying that maybe we should start bad-mouthing the 35? What worries me is that now with Remington owning Marlin, they'll drop that caliber from the 336 line if we do.

:roll: :roll:
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

The .35 is really a lousy choice. If anyone is thinking of buying one, don't. You have much better options.

There, did I help?

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

I'm kicking around the idea of getting one :oops:

It's either that or a 7600 in 30-06.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

You don't see a whole lot of them around my neck of the woods, so naturally I had to have one. I just got it at the beginning of winter and have run a few different loads through it.
It seems pretty easy to feed. I've tried 4064, WW748, and RL15. All of them seem to shoot the same and the gun likes to spit them out at around 2000-2100 range with 1.5" groups using my 2.5X Leupold. So far I can't seem to find anything to gripe about after I got the trigger worked over.
Sorry I can't be any help because I sure like this little rifle/cartrige and would recommend it to anyone. I might even have to say I like it more than my 30-30. :shock:
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Now that it has been determined that the .35 Remmy is no good for anything, just start packing yours & sending them my way. I'll be glad to pay the postage & relieve you of your societal pariahship.

There, Ol' LeverBob to the rescue....now...don't you feel better...Hmmmm?

LeverBob
Any LeverGun, Anytime, Anywhere 8) 8) 8)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Why everybody knows them .35 ain't no good fer nuthin. There's a feller down at the ship yards in Tampa buyin 'em all up. I hear he's weldin 'em all together so's he can make boat anchors out of 'em. I hear he's payin 19 cents a pound fer 'em after ya strip off all the pallet wood.

Is that any help?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Where do you guys get ammo and brass for the .35 Rem?

I notice midway only has seasonal runs of it.
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

You just buy as much as you can afford when Midway has it in stock.
Well done is better than well said.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wait just a minute here, I've had mine for almost 20 years - presafety slick as anything. Just cause I use the red plastic bullets no need to get your knickers in a twist - were you talkin' about me????? :wink: Let's just sing a few choruses of Who is on the Lord's Side.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Jason_W wrote:Where do you guys get ammo and brass for the .35 Rem?

I started reloading for my .35 Remington when I was 14 years old. I used 3031 and 180 grain Speer FPs. In those days, actually up until the last 4-5 years, Walmart carried .35 remington for about what 30/30 cost. I never saw the need to reload when I could get a box of Corelockt for $10 or so. Now I'm glad i did that because I have a lifetime supply of once fired brass! The last factory ammo i bought was about 4 years ago. Academy Sports had some for $13 a box.....I cleaned 'em out!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

DerekR wrote:
Jason_W wrote:Where do you guys get ammo and brass for the .35 Rem?

I started reloading for my .35 Remington when I was 14 years old. I used 3031 and 180 grain Speer FPs. In those days, actually up until the last 4-5 years, Walmart carried .35 remington for about what 30/30 cost. I never saw the need to reload when I could get a box of Corelockt for $10 or so. Now I'm glad i did that because I have a lifetime supply of once fired brass! The last factory ammo i bought was about 4 years ago. Academy Sports had some for $13 a box.....I cleaned 'em out!
I notice most factory stuff is roundnose and not flat point. Any problems in a tube mag?

Today, I'm strongly considering a 336C since the future of Marlin seems less than certain at present.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

No prob with the RNs in the mag. Get a pre-safety gun if you can find it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Post by allhands »

gotta love the .35 rem. My 336 is now THE rifle for everything. I spent the better part of 2 weeks helping my non-levergun friend find a limited edition rem 7600 in 35. Now i have to reload twice as much.....
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I love the .35 Rem.
Don`t forget that Hornady loads the LE ammo for it. Hornady said it is so popular they can`t keep up with orders.
You can find brass on some of the online places like GunbBroker. I bought 200 pieces last fall for $40 per 100 for new brass. Spendy but it lasts a long time!! :wink:
Last winter I stoped by my dealers and he said "dont you have a .35 ?"
I said yup, he reached under the counter and handed me a plastic 100 count box with 79 new factory loads in it!! For FREE!! What a guy!!! :D
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Hey Scott. Your posts are partly responsible for my buying a 336C in 35 Rem as my very first levergun. I haven't shot it yet, but I sure love to look at it!

bogie
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

Bogie35 wrote:Hey Scott. Your posts are partly responsible for my buying a 336C in 35 Rem as my very first levergun. I haven't shot it yet, but I sure love to look at it!

bogie
bogie, that is a low blow. while i love that i had something to do with you getting spoiled with the .35 rem, i do seem to have egg on my face in light of the current topic.

so how do you like the bullet? when i first bought mine it was cause i didn't have it and the gun was a beater 336. i had intentions of using it as a truck gun. i stupidly sold that gun and have kicked myself regularly. the day i fell in love with that gun was a cold rainy morning hunting an escaped steer ready for slaughter.

i learned that heavy, slow, and big has more advantages than light fast and small.

one last note for reloading. i tried hotrodding it, but found it wasn't necessary. i run a 200 grainer around 2100. after seeing it penetrate several cows, i would use this hunt any animal in the lower 48.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

[quote="Scott Young"

one last note for reloading. i tried hotrodding it, but found it wasn't necessary. i run a 200 grainer around 2100. after seeing it penetrate several cows, i would use this hunt any animal in the lower 48.[/quote]

Scott:

How's that again about the cows ?????

Don McCullough
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

the cows....

the first hunt was a steer that had escaped a local slaughter house a friend owned. i was dropping the children off at school when my friend came up to the truck and asked if i had a gun. of course i did, i had two, a 35 rem and a .22 magnum. he explained that while loading another cow in the chute, he forgot to shut the inner gate. well a steer took the chance and got out. the steer headed down to the quarters. it was misty and rainy so we had good tracks to follow. we lost the trail a couple of times, but several hours later we found the beast laid up in some river cane. i could see the outline of the steer through the cane. the shot wasn't over 25 yds, but the bullet passed through about 10 pieces of cane before connecting. the bullet entered just under the ear and busted the vertebrae. the bullet was found lodged under the hide on the far side. the butcher said the vertebrae had grenaded when the bullet hit it.

the next hunt was with another friend that had some feral cows that he wanted to make beef out of. the ranges on them were deer ranges and the bullets all penetrated through and through when they didn't hit large bones.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

after seeing it penetrate several cows
Man you should have gotten that on video.

Was this end to end or side to side? :)
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Farmers around here frown on shooting their cows! :shock: