Help old Marlin question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Help old Marlin question

Post by fordwannabe »

Hello Gentlemen, one of my buddies bought an 1894 marlin in 38-40 circa turn of the 20th century, when he got it, it had a short mag kinda cobbled together using a mixture of Winchester and marlin parts. He would like to return it to its original full length mag(it has the dovetail in barrel). I have a magazine, spring,end cap, but need a mag hanger and screw. Does anybody know if the mag hanger from a 1893 is the same? Does anybody have a mag hanger for an 1894 or 1893 if that will fit.
Thanks for any help you may be able to give me. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Help old Marlin question

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

This guy might have what your looking for,I have gotten some old Marlin parts from him that I couldn't find anywhere else,they are very nice to deal with any they actually know what you are talking about when you call them.
http://www.jackfirstgun.com/order.php

Here is a little history on him:

http://rapidcityjournal.com/lifestyles/ ... 002e0.html
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Interesting guy.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

game keeper wrote:Interesting guy.
Yes for sure.
Not many left like him,old school for sure.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

fordwannabe wrote:
Does anybody know if the mag hanger from a 1893 is the same ?

Since Wisner's, an obsolete parts maker, lists many other parts as being common between the Model 93 & 94, my WAG is that it's most likely that the hanger would also be interchangeable.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/web_layout/ri ... action.htm

BrentD

Post by BrentD »

fordwannabe wrote:Hello Gentlemen, one of my buddies bought an 1894 marlin in 38-40 circa turn of the 20th century, when he got it, it had a short mag kinda cobbled together using a mixture of Winchester and marlin parts. He would like to return it to its original full length mag(it has the dovetail in barrel). I have a magazine, spring,end cap, but need a mag hanger and screw. Does anybody know if the mag hanger from a 1893 is the same? Does anybody have a mag hanger for an 1894 or 1893 if that will fit.
Thanks for any help you may be able to give me. Tom
Tom, I just measured three rifles. the first two were 1893s from the 19teens and the 19twenties. I just measured the diameter of the mag tubes since this is the fundamental dimension of concern. The first one measured 0.646" at the muzzle end of the mag tube. The second measured 0.647" at the same position.

Then I measured my 1894 that dates to about 1910ish or shortly thereafter. It measured 0.644". For my money I would call that manufacturing and wear variation. So, yes, they are almost certain to be identical.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

cool Thanks for the replys.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.