Things I find amazing.....please add to the list

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Things I find amazing.....please add to the list

Post by firefuzz »

I find it amazing....

that cheap hamburger is priced the same or higher than roast.

that my state government, Oklahoma, is gripping about the lower gas prices at the pump. Now we can afford the hamburger.
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Things I find amazing.....please add to the list

Post by gamekeeper »

I find it amazing that the more TV channels I get, the less programs there are that I want to watch... :?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

I find it amazing that gas prices are dropping in light of current problems and conflicts around the world.............the very same problems and conflicts that were the excuse for raising gas prices in the past. jes sayin'
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

(fracking in North American shale oil - you can't drive south on I-37 and I-35 in Texas anymore for all the industry traffic, and the pipeline from Canada)
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

That in Australia, cheap wine costs less than bottled water. Howzat?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The local, National chain (Hess), gas stations in my town (3 different locations here) have different gasoline per gallon prices. :?:

I can understand price differences between different locations placed far apart, or in another state, due to delivery costs - but between gas stations a mile or two apart ?

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm amazed that diesel costs more than gasoline... yet is a by-product of producing gasoline.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

That Obama actually got elected for a second term, let alone the first. :cry:

Byron
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Word of warning on cheap gas prices. Less at the pump, less $$ coming in for the tax collector(s). They /will/ be looking for other avenues to make up the difference.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

It's amazing...

That I am better stocked in Jack Daniel's than in 22s!

Truth be told, I've never (knock on wood) run out of either...

But at least I can easily replace the Jack!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

wecsoger wrote:Word of warning on cheap gas prices. Less at the pump, less $$ coming in for the tax collector(s). They /will/ be looking for other avenues to make up the difference.
I thought the tax was per gallon....If so, and people can afford to drive more, they would be getting more money....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

wecsoger wrote:Word of warning on cheap gas prices. Less at the pump, less $$ coming in for the tax collector(s). They /will/ be looking for other avenues to make up the difference.
That's why Oklahoma's government is upset.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

BlaineG wrote:
I thought the tax was per gallon....If so, and people can afford to drive more, they would be getting more money....

That's my understanding as well.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

firefuzz wrote:I find it amazing....

that cheap hamburger is priced the same or higher than roast.

that my state government, Oklahoma, is gripping about the lower gas prices at the pump. Now we can afford the hamburger.

I try to use the leaner strands of burger when i can -- the "93% lean" costs as much as some cuts of sirloin :(

I have been subbing in ground bison more lately for things like chili recipes to emphasize quality over quantity though --- since i am personally trying to cut down on red meat in general, its not a big deal cost wise in the grand scheme of things , but the stuff is priced at what i used to consider strip steak prices, -- and strip steak is now priced at tenderloin prices -- so a good time to cut back anyway
----- Doug
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Griff wrote:I'm amazed that diesel costs more than gasoline... yet is a by-product of producing gasoline.
At one time there were fewer process' needed to produce diesel. Today it needs to be desulfurized. It is also refined so that it has fewer particulates when burned. And lastly, it has higher taxes imposed
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Taxes at the pump are per gallon, if your state plus fed tax = 45 cents a gallon, then if gas is 1.50 there is still 45 cents a gallon tax same 45 cents as if it were 3.90 a gallon.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

jeepnik wrote:
Griff wrote:I'm amazed that diesel costs more than gasoline... yet is a by-product of producing gasoline.
At one time there were fewer process' needed to produce diesel. Today it needs to be desulfurized. It is also refined so that it has fewer particulates when burned. And lastly, it has higher taxes imposed
Gasoline used to be a byproduct - that's why gas engines were invented to use gasoline - it was a cheap, available fuel that they were trying to get rid of. Now it is the main focus.

The price of diesel is largely political - everyone sees black smoke belching out of a truck and they think it is a bad pollutant. No one realizes that it is much cleaner than the exhaust from their little gas cars.

The US car manufacturers don't want people buying diesel-burning imports, and they don't like to make diesel vehicles. The US government now has a vested interest in making sure people buy US cars.

Diesel cars are not subject to the same emissions restrictions at federal, state, and local levels as gas cars. This leaves politicians and environmentalists feeling that people with diesel engines are somehow getting over on the system. It also costs revenue. Some places that require inspections (and get revenue from the inspections) deal with this by exempting diesel engines from the full emissions inspections, but still require the vehicle to be inspected every year or so to ensure it is still a diesel.

Most diesel vehicles in the US are owned by businesses. The governments feel that they have more freedom to tax businesses than individuals. They see businesses as a better revenue source.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

BlaineG wrote:

Yep
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

7.62 Precision wrote:
jeepnik wrote:
Gasoline used to be a byproduct - that's why gas engines were invented to use gasoline - it was a cheap, available fuel that they were trying to get rid of. Now it is the main focus.

The price of diesel is largely political - everyone sees black smoke belching out of a truck and they think it is a bad pollutant. No one realizes that it is much cleaner than the exhaust from their little gas cars.

The US car manufacturers don't want people buying diesel-burning imports, and they don't like to make diesel vehicles. The US government now has a vested interest in making sure people buy US cars.

Diesel cars are not subject to the same emissions restrictions at federal, state, and local levels as gas cars. This leaves politicians and environmentalists feeling that people with diesel engines are somehow getting over on the system. It also costs revenue. Some places that require inspections (and get revenue from the inspections) deal with this by exempting diesel engines from the full emissions inspections, but still require the vehicle to be inspected every year or so to ensure it is still a diesel.

Most diesel vehicles in the US are owned by businesses. The governments feel that they have more freedom to tax businesses than individuals. They see businesses as a better revenue source.

Also, the world market, like south america and China, have a high demand for diesel so prices can remain high.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

rjohns94 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

Yep
I dug around a bit......In Washington State, anyway, the little cars, and Hybrids have become so popular that the reduced fuel usage HAS created a tax shortfall.....Ironic: The Gubment encouraged the use of little bugs, and now are going to reward their usage with more tax..... :evil: :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I find it amazing ....that people are trying to sell ARs for 1200 when I can get a brand new one for 549 right now
.....that people are still paying gougers on FB 50 or more for a box of .22 LR
.....That I can buy an elk from a local rancher, have it processed, and it's half the price of beef
.....that gas prices are down and people in Texas are ecstatic, not realizing the Texas job market is about to crash.
....that the Dallas Cowgirls still have a fan base after all these years of Jerry Jones :cry:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

Brits will recognize this:

That Tesco value Lager(21p) and Volka(£6.25) exists. And the lager is cheaper than bottled water.

And that expensive milk and cheap milk in New Zealand comes from the same cows.

Contrary to what some people believe cheap milk does not come from sick cows.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

One of the taxes on gas & diesel is based on price... that's the sales tax portion... but, State & Federal excise taxes on both are based on the gallon... both of which are higher than the sales tax portion. And the extra refining and desulphurization of diesel is harmful to engines. It removes the lubricity and decreases fuel economy.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Griff wrote:One of the taxes on gas & diesel is based on price... that's the sales tax portion... but, State & Federal excise taxes on both are based on the gallon... both of which are higher than the sales tax portion. And the extra refining and desulphurization of diesel is harmful to engines. It removes the lubricity and decreases fuel economy.
Then there are the taxes paid as the oil makes its way along the supply chain. It's pretty much taxed at every change of custody. And guess who ultimately pays those taxes.

I love the democraps :twisted: "We won't tax the consumer, were your friend. We'll tax those evil business' that are ripping you off"
And some idiots believe that bull stuff.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"That Obama actually got elected for a second term, let alone the first."
--arjunky

BINGO! And you get the best and freshest 5 cent c-gar in the humidor!....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Ray Newman wrote:"That Obama actually got elected for a second term, let alone the first."
--arjunky

BINGO! And you get the best and freshest 5 cent c-gar in the humidor!....
Thanks Ray. :wink:

Byron
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

arjunky wrote:That Obama actually got elected for a second term, let alone the first. :cry:

Byron
That doesn't amaze me half as much as the fact that the guys in the hoods and capes have never gone after him :lol: :lol: :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

game keeper wrote:I find it amazing that the more TV channels I get, the less programs there are that I want to watch... :?
I have noticed the same thing re TV.

Perhaps its another example of the "inverse square law"?.

Cheers from "Bedrock". At least Fred and Barney were funny.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I find it amazing that Im still alive....after wrecking cars, snowmobiles, blowing up guns, drinking until I did not know my name, and doing all sorts of reckless stuff. But.....I sure had a good time. :D ------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

KiwiKev wrote: And that expensive milk and cheap milk in New Zealand comes from the same cows.

Contrary to what some people believe cheap milk does not come from sick cows.

I'm curious why you have both cheap milk and expensive milk in NZ.

Here it varies mostly due to variation in state to state regulation of how grocery stores are allowed to price their items. Some states do not allow loss leader sales, I'm told. Other states you can buy a gallon of milk under $2 because there is no state interference and the store manager knows that if he sells milk, cola, and bread cheaper than anyone else in town, his store will be the one where people come for those items and consequently buy their pot roast and breakfast cereal too.

Of course, we do also see variation due to the type of store here - $2 a gallon or less at the big grocery chain, $5 a gallon at the convenience store that is open all night. Same milk. Perhaps that is what you are referring to in NZ also.
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

There is a monopoly called Fonterra which started as a farmers co-op which uses non free market practices. They allow quite a range of price. In the same supermarket can range from $1.78 to $2.60 per litre. As a very large milk producer we pay the highest prices. It would be like Saudi Arabia charging its citizens the highest world price it can for gas- because they can- and people need it.

Actually the dairies, or service stations sometimes have cheaper milk. Eg a service station down the road has buy 2x 2l for$7.00.

Here is a local supermarket.

http://shop.countdown.co.nz/Shop/Browse ... k-standard

An independent distributor getting milk form local farmers was shut down using the usual back door practices. Free market my @rse!

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Every store usually has "loss leaders". A wise shopper will take advantage of them. (Although, it's sort of hard to stock up on milk :P ....... I'm broke enough that I factor in fuel cost for the drive)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

Nothing like radiation to keep the milk fresh.

It is amazes me that the owner of a corner dairy, open from 7.00 am to 11pm makes any money at all.

Unless it's:

Sweets,lollies, candy for the kids,
Porn for the males
Liquor for the ladies.
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

So from $110 a barrel in July to $50 a barrel now why am I not seeing a 50% drop at the pump?

They always give lots of reasons for putting pump prices up but are always reluctant to drop prices.

A free market????
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"I'm broke enough that I factor in fuel cost for the drive."
--Blaine G

You are just being sensible and judicious with your finances. Too many people do not think like that and will drive out of their way just to save a few pennies.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"That doesn't amaze me half as much as the fact that the guys in the hoods and capes have never gone after him."
--6pt sika

Some opine that is why the prez selected the grossly incompetent and embarrassingly gaff prone Biden as his VP. Best life instance policy he could buy.
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Ray Newman wrote:"That doesn't amaze me half as much as the fact that the guys in the hoods and capes have never gone after him."
--6pt sika

Some opine that is why the prez selected the grossly incompetent and embarrassingly gaff prone Biden as his VP. Best life instance policy he could buy.
The fact that Joe would be prez if something happened to him might also be his biggest worry. :roll:

Rob

Because I can!

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I dug around a bit......In Washington State, anyway, the little cars, and Hybrids have become so popular that the reduced fuel usage HAS created a tax shortfall.....Ironic: The Gubment encouraged the use of little bugs, and now are going to reward their usage with more tax..... :evil: :evil:
In Oregon there's talk of taxing vehicles by the mile traveled, on top of the gas tax. Seems folks listened to the "buy better MPG cars" and the "conserve gasoline" BS and now they're getting punished for it...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

KiwiKev wrote:So from $110 a barrel in July to $50 a barrel now why am I not seeing a 50% drop at the pump?

They always give lots of reasons for putting pump prices up but are always reluctant to drop prices.

A free market????
Because the US Federal Reserve (Loser commie Obama's economic policy) policy of printing tons of money, which have weakened all of the countries that use the Dollar as currency.

It really is sad how weakened our buying power of our money is right now. All the more reason to go with the gold standard again.

If taken into account, loaded ammo is cheaper now, than in the panic buying of 2009-2014.

Steve
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

BlaineG wrote:Every store usually has "loss leaders". A wise shopper will take advantage of them. (Although, it's sort of hard to stock up on milk :P ....... I'm broke enough that I factor in fuel cost for the drive)
Last I heard, loss leaders are illegal or restricted in something like 22 states. I don't agree with states doing that, but then I don't live in one that does, so it's not really my business.

My neighbor is a retired store manager from Texas, he was the one who told me that cola and bread belong on that list too :lol:

The smart shopper takes advantage of deals, the manager knows it too - that's why he puts them there :mrgreen: He understands volume is important when margins are low, he just needs to make sure that his bump in volume offsets the loss from the deals, not really that hard to do.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

KiwiKev wrote:Nothing like radiation to keep the milk fresh.

It is amazes me that the owner of a corner dairy, open from 7.00 am to 11pm makes any money at all.

Unless it's:

Sweets,lollies, candy for the kids,
Porn for the males
Liquor for the ladies.
Ironically, those stores are where milk costs most around here, though they're not called dairies here of course. The convenience store where I live used to buy 5-6 gallons of milk from the local grocer and then mark it up from there. Now the grocer has closed, don't know what the convenience store is doing for milk supplies now. We're too far out from the cities to have a regular delivery wholesaler for most of this stuff.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I am amazed that
John 3:16 God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
I am amazed that
Acts 10:41-43 paraphrased... God commanded us (who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead) to preach to the people and to testify that Christ is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead. All the prophets bear witness to Christ that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.
I am amazed that
Ephesians 2:8-9 ...by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast.
I am amazed that
John 20:31 these (things) are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
I am amazed that
Acts 4:12 And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.
I am amazed that the promises of God are yea and true

I am amazed that He even saved me

Grizz
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

With more people driving more fuel efficient cars, along with fewer miles being driven overall in the state, California is now looking at a way to tax drivers based on miles driven in a given year to boost revenues for road and transportation maintenance. So far, it's gone no further than trial balloon press releases from the state tax board, but.....

This is deep-blue Kali...with a deep-blue legislature and a deep-blue Governor. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we'll soon be required to report our odometer readings upon registering our vehicles each year. Stay tuned.... :evil:
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"With more people driving more fuel efficient cars, along with fewer miles being driven overall in the state, California is now looking at a way to tax drivers based on miles driven in a given year to boost revenues for road and transportation maintenance. So far, it's gone no further than trial balloon press releases from the state tax board....."
--Stew71

That was talked about up here in WA. But the electric car folks did not like it as they felt it was not fair to them to pay a tax on miles driven when they were not using any fossil fuels and are saving the planet.

Some even balked that landlords were installing electric meters on recharging stations so the electric care owners would have the electric utilize to recharge the batteries added to their rent.....
Last edited by Ray Newman on Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Personally, the fact that the Dallas Cowboys played a playoff game, never mind actually winning it - that is amazing.

Tax the hell out of those electric and hybrid cars. Hell yes.
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

I think diesel drivers here are taxed per km. Just looked it up Road Users charges- $50 per 1000km or$US45 for 620 miles. That is why a don't drive a diesel. Over 20,000km(a typical year) that is an extra $900 in taxes. Sure diesel is cheaper.

Would probably cost more to administer than collect. But: New cars will have a black box which regularly collects your mileage. You get a monthly charge based of mileage.
Do you get a rebate if you drive around in reverse :P

Now that gas is cheaper must get one of these for my car.

BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Every once in a while, not very often, my wife says something less than supportive about my gun/shooting/hunting hobbies. When she does, I pull out a picture of a car like that, or maybe a local stock car racer and show her that and suggest I could always switch to tricked out race cars. She definitely likes the guns better, thankfully, and so do I. A gearhead I am not.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Im amazed that some of you are worried about the price of milk
I weaned 50 years ago, maybe that's a thought for yall, save money to, more cartridges

Just kiddin :D :D :D
Don't fret
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

plowboy 45 wrote:Im amazed that some of you are worried about the price of milk
I weaned 50 years ago, maybe that's a thought for yall, ...t
It does affect the price of ice cream you know, and that IS a necessity of life as I know it.

But milk in a glass is a waste of potential ice cream.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BrentD wrote:Personally, the fact that the Dallas Cowboys played a playoff game, never mind actually winning it - that is amazing.

Tax the hell out of those electric and hybrid cars. Hell yes.

The Dallas Cowboys franchise is (historically) quite capable of winning playoff games.....

....it's the fact Romo pulled it off that amazes me. I guess he got past the normal Decemberitis. Only delayed, I am sure.

Gas taxes are a source of revenue for the state government....in Texas 20 cents per gallon, so the cheaper the better. But when oil prices plumme,t the Texas (and other domestic) rigs, pumps, and drills slow down. An immediate effect on the economy. Welders and roughnecks unemployed, gravel pits, truck drivers, haz-mat companies, (no telling how long the list is).
The same people around here who are jumping for joy at what they think is cheap gas will be the same ones crying and blaming the conservatives when unemployment goes even higher and the real estate bubble bursts. Don't get me wrong. I like paying less for gas (I won't call it cheap until it's $0.499 or less) but the payout will come somewhere else for sure.

Yes, Electric cars are so silly, unless you have your own windmill to charge it at night. Even then, I doubt you'd ever see a return on your investment.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle