ISO--Source for Ruger 77RS/ tang safety stock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

ISO--Source for Ruger 77RS/ tang safety stock

Post by Mich Hunter »

Going to ask here to see if anyone may have an answer. I recently picked up an older Ruger 77 tang safety in 338 Win and it came with a cheap plastic stock (aftermarket, not the paddle) that I am not a fan of. I am in the market for a new synthetic or wood but am only coming up with Boyds stocks. I have been searching the auction sites looking for a factory take off but am coming up empty. I know that Mcmillan makes a nice synthetic but I am not paying $500 for just the stock alone. Is there any other game in town?
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Re: ISO--Source for Ruger 77RS/ tang safety stock

Post by arjunky »

Bell & carlson made one. Just used the one I bought couple years ago. Small in the barrel channel. Needed to be opened up some.
Byron
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Do you have a local FB trading page? Someone might trade stocks with you +/- cash.

Worth a try. Other wise I'd buy a complete gun, switch stocks, and sell. Might make some money if you're prudent.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

When you do get that .338 Win Mag right, you will have one heck of a rifle. Below is mine with my elk:

CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Mich hunter. I have a factory original standard length action walnut tang safety stock..looks like CRSs.. in pretty good shape. It's in Wyoming, I'll be down there midweek and could send you some pictures if you're interested. Pm me. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

I picked the Ruger 77 RS (gotta love iron sights) for around $300. The blue is deep and the rifle was hardly shot at all. Gun is practically mint. The only issue is it has a cheap Ramline plastic (won't even call it synthetic) stock that I can't stand. It is loud as can be when anything touches it and throws the rifles balance off. I have been looking for a semi good shape factory take off but they can be hard to find. I am digging on the Boyds laminate stock but am concerned about adding even more weight to a heavy rifle.

------Les, I just sent you a PM sir.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Go to EBAY and check them out. Lots of Ruger 77 MKII on there. I didnt see a M77RS, but it should only be a matter of time.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

horsesoldier03 wrote:Go to EBAY and check them out. Lots of Ruger 77 MKII on there. I didnt see a M77RS, but it should only be a matter of time.
Here is one.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/151535230520?nav=SEARCH
Byron
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mich Hunter wrote:I picked the Ruger 77 RS (gotta love iron sights) for around $300. The blue is deep and the rifle was hardly shot at all. Gun is practically mint. The only issue is it has a cheap Ramline plastic (won't even call it synthetic) stock that I can't stand. It is loud as can be when anything touches it and throws the rifles balance off. I have been looking for a semi good shape factory take off but they can be hard to find. I am digging on the Boyds laminate stock but am concerned about adding even more weight to a heavy rifle.

Hoosier has several LA (long action) stocks for your tang-safety Model 77 @ $100:

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/ ... tocks.html

FWIW, laminates ARE much heavier than wood or synthetic stocks - but I have a suggestion for quieting the (hollow) Ramline (and other) stock.

I buy an aerosol can of expanding foam insulation, which contractors use during home construction to insulate the small voids around door/window framing, and squirt it into the stock (a small access hole can be drilled in the stock inletting if no ready access is apparent) about half-full. (the spray foam will expand in a few seconds, to fill in the remainder of the void).

The foam's expansion isn't strong enough to damage a stock, and any excess is easily shaved off with a sharp knife or razor blade.

I've found that the foam adds virtually no weight to the stock, and goes a long way to quiet the noise of brush/etc rubbing along the stock while hunting.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Mich Hunter wrote:I picked the Ruger 77 RS (gotta love iron sights) for around $300. The blue is deep and the rifle was hardly shot at all. Gun is practically mint. The only issue is it has a cheap Ramline plastic (won't even call it synthetic) stock that I can't stand. It is loud as can be when anything touches it and throws the rifles balance off. I have been looking for a semi good shape factory take off but they can be hard to find. I am digging on the Boyds laminate stock but am concerned about adding even more weight to a heavy rifle.

Those Prairie Hunter stocks by Boyd's are pretty light. Don't know if they make one for the original 77 though.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Mich hunter, where are you in Colorado? I have to go SE and will be picking up I70 east from Denver early next week.. Could do a face to face depending on where you are. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Les, just sent you a PM
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

When you get a wood stock, keep in mind theres a specific screw order and torque spec. I dont recall it exactly, but I believe the front one first and tightest, then the rear. The middle screw gets barely enough to keep it from falling out. That one seems to be the downfall of many.

It may not matter with every individual gun, but when they dont shoot well, correcting the screw torque can get them shooting well. It may also take a few rounds to settle back into the stock after its been apart. Checking the torque after its swapped and shot a few rounds may be worthwhile.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?