Cerberus in over their head?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Cerberus in over their head?

Post by superchicken »

This article unfortunately makes it appear as if all Cerberus' problems are someone else's fault. Unfortunately, their problems run a lot deeper than Sandy Hook or a 50 year old trigger defect. It's a matter of poor quality products and mismanagement. I hope this ends well for the brands and pushes capital management groups like this out of the gun business. It's just not the place for them. Guns require a different business model focused on the long term and quality instead of quick turn-over and cost cutting.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/23/gunmaker-s ... les-slump/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Cerberus in over their head?

Post by Blaine »

With gun sales at record numbers, I guess I don't quite get how some of the companies are having problems staying afloat.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BlaineG wrote:With gun sales at record numbers, I guess I don't quite get how some of the companies are having problems staying afloat.
No doubt -- i made the mistake of entering a gun store yesterday and it was elbow to elbow folks wanting to exchange hard earned money for bang sticks of all sorts !

I got away from the crowd and looked at the bowhunting supplies for a while (today's crossbows are neat!) then took my leave without buying anything
----- Doug
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

A group of 'experts' buy in to a company because they know so much better how to run the business.

They take a company with small but good market share and keep 'improving' it till they run it into the ground.

Same thing happened to me, only that was DHL and Airborne Express.

Not that I'm bitter or anything. (grin)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wecsoger wrote:A group of 'experts' buy in to a company because they know so much better how to run the business.

They take a company with small but good market share and keep 'improving' it till they run it into the ground.

Same thing happened to me, only that was DHL and Airborne Express.

Not that I'm bitter or anything. (grin)
Exactly the same in 'Health Care' - the 'experts' who run the mega-corporations took it over (only because their lobbying dollars persuaded the government to kill the free-market in health care), and now costs are excessive, efficiency is existing only in the phantom-world of corporate spreadsheets, and the public has crappy health care all the while the physicians who actually provide QUALITY health care go bankrupt, and the ones 'playing the system' retire at age 55 with a couple million in their investments.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:With gun sales at record numbers, I guess I don't quite get how some of the companies are having problems staying afloat.
And yet, the U.S. .gov was unable to make a profit at their very own whorehouse...

So why does this surprise you?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:
And yet, the U.S. .gov was unable to make a profit at their very own whorehouse...

You'll have to catch me up on the connection between weapon manufactories, and government business endeavors.......

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Blaine,

It was famous.

There was a whorehouse/bar in Nevada that Uncle Sam took due to back taxes. It lasted a year if I recall. A year! Who but the .gov could run not only a bar but a bar/whorehouse into the ground in a years time!

Classic.

(mis)Management is the same all over. Quick to assume they know all they need to know, even quicker to assign blame anywhere but their own heads, and total light speed to laud praise (read: bonuses) upon their heads for whatever good might happen.

Not that I'm bitter . . . :)

Cat
Last edited by Catshooter on Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

About the time that the same corporation ran Chrysler into bankruptcy, they announced that they were bringing all they "learned" in the automotive industry into the firearms industry.

Who could have foreseen these results?!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

You'll have to catch me up on the connection between weapon manufactories, and government business endeavors.......
Desirability of "Product" juxtaposed with incompetence at Marketing/Sales to the point that they can't stay afloat...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

Desirability of "Product" juxtaposed with incompetence at Marketing/Sales to the point that they can't stay afloat...
I understand that part......But, the Gub'ment don't ever do business to make money, just spend it. :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

Not sure what exactly the gub'mint has to do with this topic.

7.62 has a good point though about Chrysler. The current corporate culture seems to focus on short-term ups and downs instead of long term dependabity. They can take over a company, thrash the stuff out of it in the name of cutting costs even if the sales go out the window in the proverbial handbasket. With lower costs and sales forecasts based on prior markets and good products, they can claim success and walk away scot-free while their employees and customers get shafted. It seems to be all about spin, and our friends at Cerberus are spinning their way right out of the mess they've made. They've cut costs to achieve profitability resulting in products no one wants and with reduced profitability, they've left the brands more vulnerable to lawsuits. I'm afraid we may see the death of yet another iconic American gun company or two from this.

Doc, I will say that healthcare and gunmaking are industries that should share the same focus... Quality.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I notice they are dumping Bushmaster parts and rifles at rock bottom prices.

I think now is NOT a good time to get a Bushamster at any price.