1912 Saturday Evening Post Advertisement.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

1912 Saturday Evening Post Advertisement.

Post by cshold »

Colt’s Patent Fire Arms Mfg. Co. / The .25 Caliber Colt Firearm
advertisement from a 1912 issue of the Saturday Evening Post.

Transcript:

This compact little COLT “Six-Shooter” is only 4 1/2 inches long, weighs but 13 ounces, yet has the speed, accuracy, and hard-hitting qualities that give confidence in an emergency.

Shoots metal-jacketed bullets as fast as the trigger is pulled; ejects the empty shells and reloads automatically for each shot.

Combined with these features is ABSOLUTE SAFETY FROM ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE — the Grip Safety automatically locks the action until the trigger is purposely pulled — no worry on your part.

“You Can’t Forget to Make it Safe!”

SEE THIS PISTOL AT YOUR DEALER’S
Write for free Catalog No. 85, descriptive of all COLTS in calibers .22 to .45.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: 1912 Saturday Evening Post Advertisement.

Post by gamekeeper »

In 1912 were there any restrictions on carrying a handgun in the USA? I don't think there were in the UK at that time, I know my mother had a nickel plated revolver just after the Great War.
As for that little Colt, I'd rather have that than the little non locking pen knife I am allowed to carry.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

In 1912, as it is today, laws on many things vary from state to state. In Texas it was illegal to carry a handgun "one or about" your person in 1912. This did not apply to your own property or in your wagon or vehicle "while traveling".

The little 25 ACP round is far from a man stopping self defense round, but I do know of three individuals that dies as a result of being shot with one of those things. All three where shot in the head a close range. The last one took the round in the ear and it severed the brain stem.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Charles wrote:In 1912, as it is today, laws on many things vary from state to state. In Texas it was illegal to carry a handgun "one or about" your person in 1912. This did not apply to your own property or in your wagon or vehicle "while traveling".

The little 25 ACP round is far from a man stopping self defense round, but I do know of three individuals that dies as a result of being shot with one of those things. All three where shot in the head a close range. The last one took the round in the ear and it severed the brain stem.
I've always found it strange how different states interpret the second amendment. It seems strange that the law stopped lawful folks from carring when outlaws paid no attention to such laws and now over a hundred years later the same dumb thinking still applies on both sides of the Atlantic.
As for that little .25 ACP, I suppose in 1912 the average bad guy did not want to be shot with anything, unlike today when bad guys might be so high they need a rifled slug in the CNS to drop them.
I would still like that little Colt though...
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

game keeper wrote:
Charles wrote:In 1912, as it is today, laws on many things vary from state to state. In Texas it was illegal to carry a handgun "one or about" your person in 1912. This did not apply to your own property or in your wagon or vehicle "while traveling".

I've always found it strange how different states interpret the second amendment. It seems strange that the law stopped lawful folks from carring when outlaws paid no attention to such laws and now over a hundred years later the same dumb thinking still applies on both sides of the Atlantic.
As for that little .25 ACP, I suppose in 1912 the average bad guy did not want to be shot with anything, unlike today when bad guys might be so high they need a rifled slug in the CNS to drop them.
I would still like that little Colt though...
I can not speak for other States, but the restrictive laws in Texas about carrying handguns came about during the "reconstruction" period following the "Civil War". Texas was under a harsh punitive military occupation and many rights were trampled during that period. To say that former Confederate soldiers and their families were 2nd. rate citizens would not even began to be accurate. Freed slaves and dogs had more rights then those folks had.

To this day, hard core Texans do not trust nor respect the Federal government and identify themselves as Texans rather than Americans. They are not still bitter, but the inheritors of a culture formed by people who were.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Well at prices like that, it would stop me dead in my tracks!!!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I would say the dotgovt has devalued the value of our time and money equasion that much

but I too would like to squeeze that little cutie

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Charles wrote: To this day, hard core Texans do not trust nor respect the Federal government and identify themselves as Texans rather than Americans. They are not still bitter, but the inheritors of a culture formed by people who were.
AND... having seen the over-reach by the Federal government before, knowledgable Texans recognize it once again...