Winchester 71 348

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 71 348

Post by daisygordoninc »

Does anyone have an idea about how many 71s originals are still in circulation? That might not be something
anyone could even guess at, I think about 41,000 were built. The price on most being offered is really up there,
I'm wondering if that is because they are becoming scarce. I know they were more expensive when they were
manufactured than other Winchester rifles, but still $3,000.00 for one seems really high. What say you guys?
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 71 348

Post by cshold »

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Another option; a used Browning for less than 1/3 the price. Just as good, if not better than the original.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

3 grand gits you a pretty nice one. Browning way cheaper or well distinguished used winny.
Byron
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Depends on what your level of satisfaction is........a browning is a Browning and a Winchester is a Winchester. Like Arjunky says, 3 g's will get you a very fine 71. I can pick them up all day long for in the upper teens..standards of course.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

My deluxe 71 made in 1954 cost me $4,500 a few years back here in Australia. They are very nice, mine is too nice & I haven't been game to take it hunting yet.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

peter richards wrote: mine is too nice & I haven't been game to take it hunting yet.

That's just silly :D I sold a few guns that were too pretty to hunt with....and bought stuff I would actually use. Life is too short to keep "new" guns in the safe....
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

peter richards wrote:My deluxe 71 made in 1954 cost me $4,500 a few years back here in Australia.
:o :shock:

...and I thought my Spike Driver was hugely expensive... I guess I've been playing in the Little League so far.

Still, sounds like a Winchester 71 is one of the all-time classics, and still practical and useful. Kind of like if you bought an original Duesenburg, but could still use it to commute to and from work. So I guess if it serves several roles well, it is worth the money.

Hard decision as to whether or not to "take it out in the rain" for a real hunting experience. Easy to take it on a gentleman's hunt, where it rides in padded-case, only to be taken out at the last minute, and only if weather permits, but taking a $4,500 piece of history out to get dings and nicks and so on does take guts. My 'motto' is (so far) that if I can afford to buy it, I should use it, but having said that I still keep my Spike Driver in a gun-sock when it is in the safe (the others go bare), and although I plan to take it stand-hunting for whitetail next year, if it is drizzling, I'll probably take the stainless/synthetic Ruger 77/44 instead. (The other difference is that my spensive levergun is just that - a modern, well-made, get-another-one-next-week if you've got the money, firearm, whereas actual Winchester 71's are no longer being made, and have lots of 'history' in them; their price/value will go up and up and up.)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Life is too short to keep "new" guns in the safe....
For a collector, possession is 9/10...........Just owning them and fondling once in a while is enough.

I have an extensive collection of firearms I've never shot. Values keep rising. And on a snow bound day, nothing is better than a small glass of Jack Daniels, an oily rag, some Jen Murdza music in the bacvkground and a warm fire in the fireplace.............Can't do that with stocks and bonds or a savings account!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Sixgun wrote:Depends on what your level of satisfaction is........a browning is a Browning and a Winchester is a Winchester. Like Arjunky says, 3 g's will get you a very fine 71. I can pick them up all day long for in the upper teens..standards of course.-----6
I'm a hunter and shooter, so the Browning copies are a Godsend ,for me. If you got the bucks for an original, :mrgreen: Game you shoot it with won't ask, and won't know the difference. :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rbertalotto wrote:For a collector, possession is 9/10...........Just owning them and fondling once in a while is enough.

I have an extensive collection of firearms I've never shot. Values keep rising. And on a snow bound day, nothing is better than a small glass of Jack Daniels, an oily rag, some Jen Murdza music in the bacvkground and a warm fire in the fireplace.............Can't do that with stocks and bonds or a savings account!
Good point. I'd probably be listening to Rachmaninoff or Terje Rypdal though... :wink:

Lots of people have heard Rypdal's music, but don't realize it -
Many action/gun-oriented movie scores - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNqhZyb ... r_embedded
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

daisygordoninc wrote:Does anyone have an idea about how many 71s originals are still in circulation? That might not be something
anyone could even guess at, I think about 41,000 were built. The price on most being offered is really up there,
I'm wondering if that is because they are becoming scarce. I know they were more expensive when they were
manufactured than other Winchester rifles, but still $3,000.00 for one seems really high. What say you guys?

Sold one today that was a Deluxe LNIB made in 1953 for a good bit more then $3000 .

I also might add it was sold about $500 less then what I would have valued it had it been my rifle .

And the guys at "Perry County Guns" valued it to my customer at about $800 more then what I sold it for .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !