Is there such a thing as a good, cheap, light O/U 20ga?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Is there such a thing as a good, cheap, light O/U 20ga?

Post by Tycer »

Is there such a thing as a good, cheap, light O/U 20g a?

Nancy shot my buddy's Citori last time we shot sporting clays. Her 11-87 12ga is now too heavy (after HOW many years?)
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Is there such a thing as a good, cheap, light O/U 20ga?

Post by TedH »

Shot a friends 20 ga Red Label on a pheasant hunt one time, and I was instantly enamored with it. Not cheap though. I saw last night that Wally World is selling plain jane Mossberg O/U for under $500. Don't know if they are good, or light though.
NRA Life Member
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

"Good" and "Light" are easy to find but if you want both those forget "Cheap". Save up your shekels and buy a Beretta.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Tycer, take a look at the relatively new Franchi Instinct L. These are out there for under $1,000. Gave one to my daughter. She loves it.
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

Look up Yildiz. They are imported by Academy Sports. They are almost too light for some. They have aluminium frames and come in at under 6#. They make both O/U & SXS models. A step up from that would be CZ. They make pretty decent shotguns.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

M. M. Wright wrote:"Good" and "Light" are easy to find but if you want both those forget "Cheap". Save up your shekels and buy a Beretta.
the Beretta 686 that I've handled are darn heavy.

The Citori is probably a good value for what it is. I don't much care for them (or any o/u).

A used SxS is far preferable to me, but until we know what "cheap" is, making a recommendation is sort of pointless.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, Tycer, (as posted above) "good" & "light" are premium/desireable features in an O/U shotgun - quality = $$$

I would respectfully advise you stay away from any of the less expensive guns made in Turkey ( Yildiz, Mossberg, Savage & others), and the heavy-for-gauge Ruger Red Label (which is AFAIK going through some teething problems since the re-release earlier this year).

The lightest, handiest 20ga O/U I've ever owned/shot/etc was the choke-tubed, scaled-down frame, Beretta 686 Onyx - You should be able to find a good/used example for around $1100-$1300, as long as it's not one of the fancier grades.

Alternatively, since the steel-receiver Remington 11-87 is a heavyweight (a plus for competition shooting), AND she's used to an autoloader, why not consider an alloy-frame autoloader, like the Beretta series ?

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Pete44ru wrote:.

FWIW, Tycer, (as posted above) "good" & "light" are premium/desireable features in an O/U shotgun - quality = $$$

I would respectfully advise you stay away from any of the less expensive guns made in Turkey ( Yildiz, Mossberg, Savage & others), and the heavy-for-gauge Ruger Red Label (which is AFAIK going through some teething problems since the re-release earlier this year).

The lightest, handiest 20ga O/U I've ever owned/shot/etc was the choke-tubed, scaled-down frame, Beretta 686 Onyx - You should be able to find a good/used example for around $1100-$1300, as long as it's not one of the fancier grades.

Alternatively, since the steel-receiver Remington 11-87 is a heavyweight (a plus for competition shooting), AND she's used to an autoloader, why not consider an alloy-frame autoloader, like the Beretta series ?

I just read an article on chuck hawks suggesting that same thing vs a double. I liked his reasoning. Thanks for the suggestion.
She's limited as she's a lefty/left eye dominant. Benelli M2?
Last edited by Tycer on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I believe the rule of thumb on "cheap" O/U is that unless you're just going to use it for hunting occasionally, or only shoot trap/skeet a couple times a year..... Don't.
Slow is just slow.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I wanted a Red Label but the price was always out of reach. Finally I bought a Beretta Whitewing in 20 gauge for $700. There are deals out there just have to keep looking.
Pierre
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Tycer wrote:Is there such a thing as a good, cheap, light O/U 20g a?

Nancy shot my buddy's Citori last time we shot sporting clays. Her 11-87 12ga is now too heavy (after HOW many years?)
Going cheap on a gun for your wife could possibly result in changing her opinion on how cheap you should go on a gun for yourself!

I make it a point not to use the word cheap but I do look for GOOD DEALS!

HUGLU has several bargin shotguns. I prefer CZs.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Tycer wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:.

She's limited as she's a lefty/left eye dominant. Benelli M2 ?

I would not recommend a Benelli for her, as it's not a softer-recoiling gas gun, but instead is a Inertia Drive (short bolt recoil) system.

I would re-inforce looking at an alloy receiver gas gun.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've had my Baikal 12 SXS for awhile. It seems pretty sturdy, and light enough to be uncomfortable shooting it at Clays....I've seen their O/Us, and they look like decent, basic shotguns. That Russian stuff is bulletproof..... Strong Like Bear :)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

stay away from the cheap O/Us...
Shot skeet with a young guy who was using one of those p.o.s. turkish guns...
I could have shot another round of skeet with the time he wasted trying to get the thing to work....junk!

Like they said...save your money and buy a used or new O/U beretta or browning, or franchi, or skb...
and buy one that fits you....

I prefer Beretta....686 was mentioned....I have the 686 sporting onyx....great gun...
I put thousands and thousands of rounds through it
with no problems, except the stock is a tad long for me....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Stevens has a new over under that is cheap.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/Stevens555
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FLINT wrote:Stevens has a new over under that is cheap.

Straight from Turkey..................................... :cry:

FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Pete44ru wrote:
FLINT wrote:Stevens has a new over under that is cheap.

Straight from Turkey..................................... :cry:

Oh bummer
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

I would not write off Turkish made shotguns. My CZ Bobwhite has performed flawlessly and is many times better quality than just about anything from American manufacturers like Remington and Marlin. Ive shot everything in it including 3" steel and hevishot. It fits me and I shoot it well. CZ shotguns are made by Huglu. There were some firing pin issues with them several years ago, but they seem to have that fixed. I know a gunshops owner here locally who can buy anything he wants, but his favorite shotguns are a pair of Yildiz 410 sxs that his brother added decorative carving too. Most people who have them love them. There are plenty of reports of people putting 10k+ rounds through them without issue. I have considered picking one up because they are inexpensive, but preferred to go with the steel receiver on the CZ. Its my primary upland gun these days and I also use it for ducks with Heavishot..

If guns from Turkey are bad, what about the XD and XDs pistols made next door in Croatia. I feel the same as everyone here about buying American, but there are some American manufacturers who do not deserver my hard earned money.

Ruger is indeed one of the good ones. The Red Label is a fine American made shotgun. However, the original post was asking for a cheap, light O/U. As good as it is, it is neither cheap nor light. If those are your requirements, I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Finally, if you are reviewing on the internet for gun reviews, I think you will find horror stories out there for any gun and any manufacturer you look up. My theory about internet reviews is that you tend to get armchair ravers and whiners and not much in between. The average guy who uses his gun hard and leaves his mark on it in the form of a worn hand print in the bluing and honest scratches is usually too busy enjoying his gun to write about it on the internet. I look at those reviews and postings, but I am always cautious about how much faith I put in them. Just like I am cautious about the pro gun reviewers who seem to never get a lemon and never have anything critical to say.

My $0.02. Don't spend it all in one place.
Last edited by superchicken on Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My boss shoots sporting clays with his Mossberg O/U shotgun. It's well built and affordable.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I based my comment about Turkish guns on the two inexpensive stinkers I actually bought - A 20ge Mossberg Silver Reserve & a .410 Savage/Stevens Model 512 Gold Wing.

AFAIK, the now discontinued Savage Milano is a fairly good shotgun, as are the high-grade Huglu's branded for S&W and Weatherby several years ago.

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

What superchicken said +1 on the CZ.

I have shot a lot of clays with the low end CZ 28 and 20 ga OU and SxS and IMHO they are a very good value. I can shoot them as well as my Parkers and Parker reproductions.

I will not give up my 20 ga Parkers for a CZ, but they did not cost less than $1,000 either.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I have a friend with a CZ rifle and shotgun and he loves them both
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

Pete,

Please don't take my comments about internet reviews as pointed at you. I did not intend that. I think any gun company can turn out a stinker on occasion. The question is how they stand behind them and fix the issue. My point about the discussion here was about writing off foreign guns because they are foreign. I think many could do the same thing based on what the Cerberus Capitol Management has done with great American gun manufacturers like Remington and Marlin. The question of American-made O/U and SXS shotguns is pretty much moot with the exception of the Ruger Red Label and Connecticut Shotguns. Both of those are higher dollar options and the Ruger currently is currently only made in 12 ga. Otherwise the entire double gun manufacturing market is overseas in Turkey, Italy, and Spain. Of those, the Turkish guns are the most reasonably priced, but there are good and bad. I'm not particularly a fan of the Mossbergs and Stoegers. I like the CZ and Huglu. The Yildiz are interesting, but not particularly pretty and they may be too light for a woman to use comfortably. I've also seen a couple of older SKB aluminum frame shotguns shot loose which gives me some pause about the Yildiz. I also, don't particularly like the barrel selector on those.

This is a little off topic, but I have always been a fan of Spanish side by sides like Ugartechea and AyA. I have an older Uggie that is a fine field gun. I bought it used and opened up the chokes from F&F to IC and Mod. I've run a lot of shells through it and a lot went through it before me. It currently needs some work on the mainsprings, I suspect from being stored for long periods of time cocked. If I were to buy a new shotgun for upland work these days it would be a new Uggie imported by Lion Country Supply. They are sweet light guns that point like God's own finger. The only downside is that you can't shoot steel in them or some of the tungsten matrix shot, but there are options for areas where you have to use non-toxics... They are just pricier.

There are folks who really like the Russian Baikals and like Blaine mentioned they are bulletproof. For my taste, they are bulky, heavy, unrefined, and stiff to operate. No offense Blaine.

Tycer, back to your original post. If you want new, some of those Turkish guns are really good, some are not so good. If you are willing to look for used guns, there are a lot of good ones out there, but light 20's hold their value. SKBs are good guns, some of the Spanish guns are are good, there are a lot of good Brownings out there. Do some looking online. But, take her to some gun shops and let her try some stuff on for size to see what she likes.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

superchicken wrote:
Pete,

Please don't take my comments about internet reviews as pointed at you. I did not intend that.

N.P., superchicken - I didn't take anything personal, only as an honest/open discussion.

I apologize if my post/reply seemed so - I didn't intend it to be. (Durn electronic in-sensitivity)

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If she's been shooting an 11-87 for all this time maybe an 1100 20 ga would work for her. They are built on a smaller frame than the 12 ga. I have an 870 20 ga that is just plain sweet.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.