Powder Shortage & New Powders Being Marketed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Powder Shortage & New Powders Being Marketed

Post by BrianSH »

I'm I the only one that's a bit ticked by the unavailability of powders, but seems like all the powder mfg are introducing new powders? And the new powders are not to be found either?
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Powder Shortage & New Powders Being Marketed

Post by daisygordoninc »

Yes, I have read all the articles about this and have never really heard a reasonable answer that explains it, I'm beginning to be a conspiracy believer, I just don't know what the conspiracy might be?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

No you aren't the only one, bout a month ago I was at cabelas asking if they had powder or brass
and got laughed at, needless to say but that was the straw that broke the camels back for me
what a ^&$$#@!! joke

ollogger
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

I did notice that Hercules finally posted load data for Bullseye 86. I thought it typically dumb for them to push a new powder on their site saying how great it is and have NO data what so ever to go along with the introduction.

Now the question is if Bullseye 86 is just Bullseye 84 with a flash suppressor?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

It irks me too man!

I use the same powders I've used for 30 years. I'm even LESS likely to try something new now. With prices and availability what they are I'm sure not gonna buy a powder that's good for 1 or 2 of my cartridges and may or may not give me a slight advantage.

Its like all these unnecessary cartridges that the marketing dept. has dreamed up in the last 15-20 years. About the only contribution they have made is to shrink production capacity of the good ones and usher in the era of the $60.00 box of shells.

But I guess it's hard to run a company with the slogan,......."Don't worry, your granddaddy's guns and loads are just fine."
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

I've been trying for years to shrink my inventory of powders for years. TightGroup for light target loads, Power Pistol for medium loads, and the venerable 296 for whompers & stompers. And though 296 runs in a narrow range, you can't argue with that fire ball, and blast! :o

But then the shortage hit, I bought what I could. Haven't shot Red dot in years, but its back on the shelf. Never shot Green Dot, but I know were it fits, so I have a few pounds of that too. And Unique, and HS-6, and HP-38.

I think I've still got primers squirreled away from the Janet Reno shortage. - Brian
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Someone is getting powder because it is showing up at the local gun shows. They are asking $30-$35 but it is there.
I have picked up enough of the powders I don`t use that much to keep me going. Others like Red Dot and 2400, 4227, I have enough to keep me for a long time.
Keep looking and buy when you can.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I think I've got about 18-20# of 2400. I might be OK for a bit...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!